Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hitting DM 3 days before next flight. Upgrade priority?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat

Flying EWR-SLC and only a few first class seats open. I hit DM 3 days prior to flight. If my upgrade doesn’t clear at the 5 day mark from my PM status, will my upgrade status be based on my PM status or will it bump up to DM?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It all depends on when your 3MM flight miles post. IIRC in the distant past, there were some data points suggesting that status was updated once a week, while more recently people have claimed that it tended to be updated overnight after the qualifying flight had posted. It's unclear (to me at least) whether the change to using MQDs only has changed any of this or even whether MQDs now post with shorter/longer lags than MQMs. AFAIK MQDs, RDMs, and MM miles all post at the same time for a flight segment, but I confess that I haven't followed the postings in my account closely enough to verify this.

It might help to avoid doing OLCI until DM shows on your account if possible just in case this makes a difference. I don't recall any claims of status being updated and reflected in the upgrade list after OLCI has occurred.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: Waffle House DM
Also remember, if they can sell those seats or need them for somebody caught up in IROPS, you’re likely going to be unlucky.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depending on aircraft type, DL seems to hold back four FC seats (if available) from free elite upgrades before day of departure, although DL is certainly willing to sell any available FC seat.

As always, OP should stalk upgrade prices in the meantime and bite quickly if a reasonable offer appears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.