Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying El Al / Air France / Delta itinerary -- Help me figure it out!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM PL /AA/DL PL/LY GL

Hey friends,

I am an El Al Gold member and a Delta Platinum member. I am flying TLV-CDG-DTW-CVG soon, and I am trying to figure out how to use the benefits.

I need to use my El Al number on my first flight (which is an AF codeshare on LY metal) so that I can get preferred seating, preferred check in, and lounge access in Tel Aviv. But, since it's an AF ticket, I need to use my DL number to get miles.

On top of that, I want to earn for all three segments on DL and I also want to use my DL number on the second two flights so that I get lounge access in CDG and DTW and can get preferred seating. I can't figure out how to do it.

As of now, my El Al number is in the record and I have a preferred seat on the first leg. Can I successfully use the two different numbers for different segments and can I switch to use DL even for the first leg after I check in?

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:04 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TLVflyer
Hey friends,

I am an El Al Gold member and a Delta Platinum member. I am flying TLV-CDG-DTW-CVG soon, and I am trying to figure out how to use the benefits.

I need to use my El Al number on my first flight (which is an AF codeshare on LY metal) so that I can get preferred seating, preferred check in, and lounge access in Tel Aviv. But, since it's an AF ticket, I need to use my DL number to get miles.

On top of that, I want to earn for all three segments on DL and I also want to use my DL number on the second two flights so that I get lounge access in CDG and DTW and can get preferred seating. I can't figure out how to do it.

As of now, my El Al number is in the record and I have a preferred seat on the first leg. Can I successfully use the two different numbers for different segments and can I switch to use DL even for the first leg after I check in?

Several different issues here. It seems what you really want is LY status/DL credit on leg 1, DL status/credit on legs 2 and three.

First, many programs provide that you do not get status benefits unless you also credit a flight to them. Whether that's the case with LY Matmid is a question for the El Al forum.

Second, I dont believe you can earn DL miles on a LY-operated AF-marketed flight, unfortunately. They may both be Delta partners, but per the Skymiles rules for AF-marketed flights "Mileage credit is not applicable to a SkyTeam-marketed flight operated by another airline." LY is a partner, but Skyteam

Third, while having different elite statuses applied to different legs of a trip may be possible, it is very complicated and you should not count on being able to do it. A travel agent might be able to, but I doubt an Air France agent will do it for you (Air France controls the ticket). You'd likely have to change the program on the ticket mid-journey and then reprint your boarding cards.

Finally, you may be able to keep your preferred seat on LY even if you change the number on the ticket now. That question would be best addressed by El Al experts.
pt360 and hhdl like this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Mar 28, 2024 at 8:10 am
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM PL /AA/DL PL/LY GL
Thanks for your help and thanks for sharing that the LY-operated AF flight won't get mileage credit. That actually makes it quite a bit simpler. Still complicated, but definitely simpler.

Thanks!

Would be happy with anyone else's advice...
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TLVflyer
Hey friends,

DL requires flights be marketed by DL or the partner carrier operated if the operating carrier is not in Skyteam. LY would need be DL or LY marketed to earn. If ST operated, it must be DL or any ST marketed. A LY marketed, AF operated won't earn.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I suspect that the only program you'll be able to earn full credit with for this itinerary is Flying Blue.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
Be sure to manage your ticket with only Delta. I learned the hard way. It’s tempting to use AF because it may make it easier to manage your seats or even an upgrade. But if you try it and use an AF account you will enter Delta purgatory for mileage credit and maybe even MQDs. Not sure about MQDs since I haven’t experienced AF/DL on that.

AF will seize your ticket and even if you only use your Delta ff on AFs website and app, you will still end up with mileage on AF and none on DL and a fight to get it reversed.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jascp
Be sure to manage your ticket with only Delta. I learned the hard way. It’s tempting to use AF because it may make it easier to manage your seats or even an upgrade. But if you try it and use an AF account you will enter Delta purgatory for mileage credit and maybe even MQDs. Not sure about MQDs since I haven’t experienced AF/DL on that.

AF will seize your ticket and even if you only use your Delta ff on AFs website and app, you will still end up with mileage on AF and none on DL and a fight to get it reversed.
You can do it via AF/KL app/online. Just do not login to account. Simply pull up using PNR/eticket number only. Its when you login to FB account you end up getting issues.
obscure2k and TheHorta like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.