Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-LAX with kids: DL SC or Amex CL?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Ex-LAX with kids: DL SC or Amex CL?

We are doing LAX-JFK from Terminal 3 later this week with small kids.

Is it worth the hike to Amex CL or just stick to DL SC?

Last edited by metalblaze; Mar 26, 2024 at 6:41 pm
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:00 pm

Programs: ba silver
You might have to clear security twice if there is no airside connection from terminal 3.

I flew out of LAX last year a couple of times and was able to go airside from terminal 5. Every time the CL lounge had a minimum one hour wait. Fine by me as I also had acces to OW and AA lounges due to my BA status.

So with a family it might not be worth it to clear security at TBIT only to be stuck waiting in line for an hour.I am sure the young ones will be fine with the DL lounge.

Safe travels!
metalblaze likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Kids will enjoy the Delta SC views. Not worth the trek to Amex CL.

The Amex lounge at TB is fine and I usually just stop in when traveling myself, even if I have another lounge access for a flight leaving TB. The food is decent. But didn’t even bother heading over with my kids this past Sunday when they couldn’t find anything to eat at the OneWorld lounge (and we are just talking a few hundred feet - not changing terminals). Just got them a pizza in the food court. Easy enough to find a counter seat for myself in the Amex CL but thought it would be too crowded to bother with my kids.
metalblaze and firemandan9 like this.

Last edited by dbuckho; Mar 26, 2024 at 6:17 pm
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
You might have to clear security twice if there is no airside connection from terminal 3.

I flew out of LAX last year a couple of times and was able to go airside from terminal 5. Every time the CL lounge had a minimum one hour wait. Fine by me as I also had acces to OW and AA lounges due to my BA status.

So with a family it might not be worth it to clear security at TBIT only to be stuck waiting in line for an hour.I am sure the young ones will be fine with the DL lounge.

Safe travels!
That’s very old information. First of all there is now airside connectivity from delta (t2-3) to TBIT where the CL is.

But the CL is windowless and crowded. Good food but that’s it. The LAX skyclub is one of the best in the system, with amazing views and a skydeck. And decent food. And it’s close!
tardyturtle and firemandan9 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
That’s very old information. First of all there is now airside connectivity from delta (t2-3) to TBIT where the CL is.

But the CL is windowless and crowded. Good food but that’s it. The LAX skyclub is one of the best in the system, with amazing views and a skydeck. And decent food. And it’s close!
Thanks everyone for your quick responses - SC makes most sense in our situation.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Another consideration could be cost of entry. If you get free guests in both, SC makes sense. If you don't though at SC and do at CL then that might motivate the 'trek'. With the connector now and moving walkways I find it nice. And TBIT is far more engaging with better shops than T2/3. That all said...pound for pound and lounge aspects alone, SC is superior, perhaps only beaten out by the CL in the food stakes and bar selection.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
The kids will love seeing the airplanes if you're able to sit outside at the SC.
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Depending on the ages of the children, there is a dedicated kids room in the CL.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat - Northwest/Delta Million Miler
I would take the new Delta club over the AMEX club any day of the week......

Delta had a taco lady there with fresh guacamole last month....that was an excellent meal.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
My experience is AmEx lounge is a bit more cramped. I agree with others—hit up the SC and let the kids do some plane spotting. The main thing the Centurion Lounge has over the SkyClub is slightly better food and moderately better drinks.

Beware that some domestic Delta flights occasionally leave out of TBIT (e.g., when inbound flight was international), but it looks like LAX-JFK usually departs from T3.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
MThe main thing the Centurion Lounge has over the SkyClub is slightly better food and moderately better drinks..
Ohh for me the main difference is AMEX is in a claustrophobic interior space that often smells like jet fuel and the Delta Skyclub is a beautiful open space overlooking the tarmac and Hollywood.

One of the few airports where Delta SC is hands down better in almost every way.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

OP here: we flew today, and did DL SC in T3. I have been there before, but w/o accompanying family. Boarding from Gate 31A was a breeze.

I suppose the only downside that I can think of it was lack of restaurants/food court near the SC: DD wanted to grab some pizza for the flight...and the nearest restaurant was a sushi place. Looks like a new pizza place is about to open right outside the SC though....oh well, next time.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by metalblaze
OP here: we flew today, and did DL SC in T3. I have been there before, but w/o accompanying family. Boarding from Gate 31A was a breeze.

I suppose the only downside that I can think of it was lack of restaurants/food court near the SC: DD wanted to grab some pizza for the flight...and the nearest restaurant was a sushi place. Looks like a new pizza place is about to open right outside the SC though....oh well, next time.
Thanks for the update. Good to know that all went well.

Locking thread
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.