Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

WestJet award travel Delta Miles - Free Cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G

Sorry if this has been covered, I've have found plenty on Main Cabin awards being fully refundable now, but on this WesJet award flight from YYC-YUL it clearly says Changeable/Non-Refundable when I try to book, which is a dealbreaker as my travel isn't 100% confirmed. Is this a mistake? Or are Main Cabin awards only refundable if on Delta metal?

Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:10 pm

I used to book these weekly during Covid to go to and from Canada for 12,500 SM which is a very sweet deal. They are treated just like any other SM redemption. You can always cancel and get your 12,500 SM plus taxes back anytime. BE rules don’t apply as WestJet has no BE. But if you buy the ticket directly from WestJet then you go by their rules.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Mar 13, 2024 at 8:34 pm
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
The non-refundable language has not been removed from the website but is no longer there in practice. The same language I have seen when booking Delta award flights on Delta metal, and yet there is no problem cancelling and getting your miles and taxes back. WestJet award flights booked on Delta using Delta miles are fully refundable (miles and taxes) as well.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It says that on all Main and higher awards (BE awards say Cancelable/Nonrefundable). They are just copying language from revenue fares even though that doesn't apply to awards and doesn't indicate whether or not you can redeposit miles. So, yes, these awards can be redeposited for no charge and you should just ignore the Changeable/Nonrefundable language at bottom.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHXflier
The non-refundable language has not been removed from the website but is no longer there in practice. The same language I have seen when booking Delta award flights on Delta metal, and yet there is no problem cancelling and getting your miles and taxes back. WestJet award flights booked on Delta using Delta miles are fully refundable (miles and taxes) as well.
The "non-refundable" language has never really applied to awards and their mileage redeposit rules which are driven by DL policy. Prior to Covid, Plats and Diamonds could cancel and redeposit awards for no fee (provided it was done at least 72 hours before departure), while those with lesser status were subjected to $150 fee. Note that once travel has begun, awards can no longer be re-deposited according to program rules (although return awards that are a part of a roundtrip booking still retain value for award travel for one year from booking).
Old Mar 13, 2024, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Non-refundable in airline terms just means that there could be a fee to refund. It doesn't necessarily means no refund. Except for BE awards I believe all Skymiles awards are fully refundable without cost.

Same goes for non-changeable. It doesn't mean you can't change it at all, just not necessarily for free. If you read fare rules it'll say something like this provision (not changeable) can be overridden by paying a $XXX penalty fee.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Non-refundable in airline terms just means that there could be a fee to refund. It doesn't necessarily means no refund. Except for BE awards I believe all Skymiles awards are fully refundable without cost.

Same goes for non-changeable. It doesn't mean you can't change it at all, just not necessarily for free. If you read fare rules it'll say something like this provision (not changeable) can be overridden by paying a $XXX penalty fee.
Refundable in airline-speak can easily mean refundable after payment of a large fee or it can even mean that some percentage of the cost is refundable. It certainly doesn't necessarily mean fully refundable for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.