Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anecdotal results - any success from MC to D1 over past year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anecdotal results - any success from MC to D1 over past year

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2024, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The upgrade lists on the day of departure also include anyone who purchased PS, attempted to use a GUC, and is still waitlisted. This could include some last minute purchases. On certain routes and times, the list could be quite long before including those who bought main cabin, used a GUC for PS, and are hoping to get a D1 seat.
Is the D1 upgrade list now in 2024 factoring in MM status as 2nd tie breaker (after purchased class) when using a GUC, or the date when the GUC was requested?
Old Mar 10, 2024, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM
In this climate, I would NOT gamble on there being open seats in D1 on TATLs during the high season.
Especially since I agree with lots of posters that DL PS is basically junk.

For me, this is almost a throwback to years past when you could only upgrade YBM fares with Miles - it's more expensive, but guaranteed at purchase.

I fly US-France several times a year and have found that buying PS when the GUC upgrades are available to be roughly the same price point as it was for YBM.
I actually really love Premium Eco on VS - at least at off/shoulder season pricing - I haven't looked much at the summer. And I think it's nice on AF (but not VS-like). I wouldn't buy DL PS if I didn't know my GUCs would clear.

Had to dig around a little, but I just bought an open jaw JFK-CDG/NCE-JFK - PS on the outbound/overnight which I upgraded immediately with GUCs and then MC on the way back and got the immediate bump to C+ for $1098/pp + 2 GUC.

Not bad for my needs.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by DrMilano
Premium Select is in name only. Delta feels they can get away with an inferior product with corporate booking prohibiting J, but W is allowable—why pricing is sometimes the same or +/- $100 for D1. Leisure travels are fooled by the name who have hoards of Skymiles to burn from being hooked on the cobranded credit card mouse wheel of spending to earn SM for an inflated redemption.

Last summer, July 2023, ATL-FCO stayed in PS as no D1 available using a GUC. Return was AMS-ATL on KLM with Z space available around 1 week prior to departure. I prefer to purchase MC on a KLM operated flight and set a ExpertFlyer alert when Z space opens up to then call in to apply the GUC.
I value a PWM upgrade from MC to PS, TATL, at about 30,000 RDM. DL wanted 60K RDM on a BCN - JFK flight. I used GUC into PS - and then got last-seat D1 upgrade at T24. That's obviously not guaranteed to happen, but I would also have been fine with the PS seat on a TATL westbound flight of that length.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.