Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Priority and MM Status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2024, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Upgrade Priority and MM Status

Apologies if I have missed this but I searched and could not find it.

I know that MM status has moved up in upgrade priority but does anyone know if it is just figured on different tiers (1MM, 2MM, etc...) or would someone with 1.8 MM hold priority over someone with 1.7 MM. Any advice or knowledge is appreciated.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
There has been some discussion on this, with the general consensus being that it's only million mile thresholds which matter. So 2MM beats 1MM, but 1.7MM vs 1.6MM is a tie and goes to the next tiebreaker.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by WyomingBound
Apologies if I have missed this but I searched and could not find it.

I know that MM status has moved up in upgrade priority but does anyone know if it is just figured on different tiers (1MM, 2MM, etc...) or would someone with 1.8 MM hold priority over someone with 1.7 MM. Any advice or knowledge is appreciated.
Pretty sure it's only at the tier mark, i.e. 1MM vs. 2 MM but DL's systems wouldn't give you a higher priority being 1.8 MM over someone else who may be 1.7 MM.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
While it's true that this is the general consensus, the consensus depends on the assumption that Delta was sloppy when explaining how this works. Read precisely, Delta says that the consensus is wrong:

"For Members who hold Million Miler Status, the Member with the higher number of lifetime flight miles will clear first."

Source: https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
hhdl, chipbennett and awonderer like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by safigan
While it's true that this is the general consensus, the consensus depends on the assumption that Delta was sloppy when explaining how this works. Read precisely, Delta says that the consensus is wrong:

"For Members who hold Million Miler Status, the Member with the higher number of lifetime flight miles will clear first."

Source: https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
Those T&Cs are extremely vague. "The Member with the higher number of lifetime flight miles will clear first" can just mean that obviously a 1 MM will have lower priority than a 2 MM but doesn't explicitly specify how the system would treat two members within the same MM tier, e.g., a 1.7 MM vs. 1.8 MM.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:43 pm

Programs: Diamond DL
Originally Posted by fly747first
Those T&Cs are extremely vague. "The Member with the higher number of lifetime flight miles will clear first" can just mean that obviously a 1 MM will have lower priority than a 2 MM but doesn't explicitly specify how the system would treat two members within the same MM tier, e.g., a 1.7 MM vs. 1.8 MM.
for me it's 100% clear
1.8 is more than 1.7
"The Member with the higher number of lifetime flight miles will clear first"

it says lifetime flight mileS , not 1mm 2mm 3mm ,,,,
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itamex
for me it's 100% clear
1.8 is more than 1.7
"The Member with the higher number of lifetime flight miles will clear first"

it says lifetime flight mileS , not 1mm 2mm 3mm ,,,,
Right, same way that for over a year DL lied and lied refusing to provide ice on flights whilst every other airline was doing it during Covid.

DL can write one thing which is different than what their systems can actually accommodate OR have been set up to process. Same way that for years and years, we had to correct DL's incompetent agents and product marketing teams who didn't know the difference between fare class/booking class and class-of-service/cabin class for same-day change purposes.
audidudi likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually have this situation coming up in a few weeks. I'm on a flight with another Diamond 1 MM, but I have some more MMs than he does. I'll try to remember to report back once we see the upgrade order.
ThisDJ and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Originally Posted by josephstern
I actually have this situation coming up in a few weeks. I'm on a flight with another Diamond 1 MM, but I have some more MMs than he does. I'll try to remember to report back once we see the upgrade order.
Would love to hear back....I guess we need to probably just ask DL for an "official" answer
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by WyomingBound
Would love to hear back....I guess we need to probably just ask DL for an "official" answer
Then by doing the opposite of what they tell you will be the correct answer.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by josephstern
Would you have priority over the other DM 1MM DL even if DL were to rank all 1MM equally? (e.g. you have the DL Reserve and he doesn't?) You'd have to go down the priority list until you find a tiebreaker.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 4:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by safigan
Would you have priority over the other DM 1MM DL even if DL were to rank all 1MM equally? (e.g. you have the DL Reserve and he doesn't?) You'd have to go down the priority list until you find a tiebreaker.
Pretty much would need something like 1.6MM DM with Reserve getting upgraded ahead of 1.8MM DM without Reserve.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by hhdl
Pretty much would need something like 1.6MM DM with Reserve getting upgraded ahead of 1.8MM DM without Reserve.
1.8 MM DM will clear before the 1.6 MM DM Reserve carrying based on lifetime MM miles. The likely hood of two MM’s having the same identical life time MM balance is nil.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Duplicate post error
Old Mar 9, 2024, 6:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by DrMilano
1.8 MM DM will clear before the 1.6 MM DM Reserve carrying based on lifetime MM miles. The likely hood of two MM’s having the same identical life time MM balance is nil.
Right, the question is whether the priority is applied based on number of million miles (in which case, they'd be tied and the Reserve or current year MQD would break the tie) or number of lifetime miles.

I read the published priority as you do (that Reserve and MQD would only matter if lifetime totals were equal), but there was a post that stated very confidently that it was bucketing by whole million miles (which, to be fair, matches behavior that DL would want to encourage). So I was just stating the kind of data point that would prove the bucketing interpretation (which is a strained interpretation IMO).
DrMilano likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.