Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby for later flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Standby for later flight

I've reviewed Delta's standby policies on delta.com. One of the policies is that Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion members may stand by for a later flight. I'm Platinum Medallion.

I'm keeping the same routing (BOS to ORD nonstop). What is the best approach to do this? I'm guessing I should call a Delta representative to do this?

Last edited by millionmiler767; Mar 7, 2024 at 7:46 pm
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can try it online or in App before calling in. See same-day change option in App or go through Check-in link on website and select Change Flights option. Although they won't show options until 24 hours before your later desired flight (calling in will let you select 24 hours before original flight). Same-day confirm may be an option instead of stand-by if there is original booking class inventory open on the later flight (assuming you are on a Main fare).
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your advice. Yes, I have a main cabin ticket. I never book a basis economy ticket as main cabin tickets have so many benefits (seats, upgrades, same day options, changes, delta lounge, etc).

But yes, I would need to try same day confirmed option first, then standby option if SDC is not available. I'll first try Delta App at check in and 24 hours before desired flight too. Thanks again.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:04 am

Programs: DL, B6
Just a note that for same day confirm, fare code/class is the measurement, not cabin. So if you booked an X fare in Main then you need an X fare available on the flight you wish to change to or you'll be charged the fare difference. The change fee is waived but the fare difference can be substantial (speaking from experience as a Gold/Plat). Standby remains free but it is of course a roll of the dice. Calling in, an agent can usually give you a sense of whether you'll be successful with standby.
kavok and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by GoBob
Just a note that for same day confirm, fare code/class is the measurement, not cabin. So if you booked an X fare in Main then you need an X fare available on the flight you wish to change to or you'll be charged the fare difference. The change fee is waived but the fare difference can be substantial (speaking from experience as a Gold/Plat). Standby remains free but it is of course a roll of the dice. Calling in, an agent can usually give you a sense of whether you'll be successful with standby.
I have been same experience. Sometimes, I was tired because standby is only earlier flights are available only even if main cabin PM status by some agents.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by foxtv
I have been same experience. Sometimes, I was tired because standby is only earlier flights are available only even if main cabin PM status by some agents.
Not sure what trying to say. GM+ can standby for later also.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
First Class and Comfort + fares (W) only require a seat be available.
GoBob and MichaelLAX like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Not sure what trying to say. GM+ can standby for later also.
Thanks. I tried to Same Day Standby option by Medallion Desk, but they denied for later flights even if I am a PM as well as Main cabin V fare. I hung up and try different agent. Then, she did it.
GoBob likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL, B6
First Class and Comfort + fares (W) only require a seat be available.
The new thing I learned for today, thanks!
obscure2k likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The new thing I learned for today, thanks!
Note that they specifically must be purchased FC and C+ fares (or purchased upgrades). Comp upgrades to F/C+ don't count and you still need original coach class booking inventory for confirmed.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
How would standby for a later flight work logistically? If standbys are not cleared until boarding time, you would have forgone your confirmed (earlier) flight by that time. What if you don’t clear from the standby list? Are you on your own to purchase a new ticket since in essence you chose not to take your confirmed ticket?
JPG3392 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cre95
How would standby for a later flight work logistically? If standbys are not cleared until boarding time, you would have forgone your confirmed (earlier) flight by that time. What if you don’t clear from the standby list? Are you on your own to purchase a new ticket since in essence you chose not to take your confirmed ticket?
It's on you, although some GAs have been reported to allow people to take (standby or confirmed?) the next morning's flight. I think DL restricts this to elites because it believes that frequent/experienced travelers will understand the risks.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:26 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's on you, although some GAs have been reported to allow people to take (standby or confirmed?) the next morning's flight. I think DL restricts this to elites because it believes that frequent/experienced travelers will understand the risks.
That’s what I figured and fully understand you would be in the hands of the GA and get lucky.

Let’s see how many here acknowledge they assumed their right was to be rolled into next day’s flights. And of course, they would get to pick which flight next day they would get added to and be given a hotel voucher as well.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

That’s what I figured and fully understand you would be in the hands of the GA and get lucky.

Let’s see how many here acknowledge they assumed their right was to be rolled into next day’s flights. And of course, they would get to pick which flight next day they would get added to and be given a hotel voucher as well.
No one I think would expect a voucher. However DL has never published a policy saying if you don't clear, you don't rollover to next day. I've asked multiple people at DL over the years and been told consistently "no one knows what DL policy actually is."
MSPeconomist and awonderer like this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 12:34 pm

No one I think would expect a voucher. However DL has never published a policy saying if you don't clear, you don't rollover to next day. I've asked multiple people at DL over the years and been told consistently "no one knows what DL policy actually is."
It seems draconian that if you take advantage of a benefit (same day standby for a later flight) you run the risk of losing the entire value of your ticket, or you get a voucher and have to buy a last-minute fare.

I suppose if you have a main cabin fare and you are on a one-way fare or outbound of a round-trip fare you could cancel and get a voucher. More complicated if you are on the return portion of a fund-trip ticket.

They should spell out on the website what the policy is if you stand by and strike out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.