Wiki Posts
Search

VDB reroute option not allowed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
VDB reroute option not allowed

I often do VDB (Voluntary Denied Boarding) when available but a recent incident at MSP has raised a question. My memory is that once VDB'd any reroute option that was available was allowed even if it went from a connection to a direct flight arriving earlier than originally scheduled. When discussing reroute options this past time at MSP the redcoat insisted that if I took a reroute that arrived earlier than the original schedule I was not eligible for compensation. Anyone know if this is now DL policy or was it GA following their own or local rules? If it is it will change how I play the VDB game. And the kicker was that taking a later flight on the original routing would have forced an overnight in ATL and the redcoat said a hotel in ATL was not part of the deal.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:02 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
It’s been an occasional thing. Technically, if you arrive earlier with IDB, nothing is owed. So why would they do it with a VDB?
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
There aren't any "official" rules for how VDB reroutings work, as far as I'm aware. So if the red coat says they won't give you any money if you arrive earlier, they're not breaking any rules. Your choice, of course, is to accept or not accept the rerouting with that restriction in place.
Adam1222, wrp96, JPG3392 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
This screams of redcoat/agent making up their own rules. Earlier arrival aside, if the flight is overbooked and a customer agrees to change their routing due to DL’s fault, compensation should be offered. They were likely trying to “sell it” as a free same day change that would’ve bettered your travel and allowed them to avoid providing compensation to improve their statistics.

Personally, I no longer will consider any VDB on Delta. The reason is I have seen how Delta often twists what is really IDB into VDB to pad their statistics, and gives a false impression of them being extremely low compared to other carriers when they are in reality not. I know that’s not the focus of this thread here, so apologize for the rant.

All airlines, not just DL, need to be reigned in on their overbooking practices.
James91 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:38 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
I would agree that this is nonsense. Basically the rules are that you’re entitled to compensation if you give up your seat. I’ve gotten there earlier before on a different airline but that doesn’t matter because it’s the flight that you are confirmed on that is oversold. The main thing is to never give up your seat until you confirm compensation AND options.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by emma dog
It’s been an occasional thing. Technically, if you arrive earlier with IDB, nothing is owed. So why would they do it with a VDB?
VDB isn't IDB. DL VDBs passengers even when IDB rules mean don't have to pay. This way their stats are zero IDB.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
VDB isn't IDB. DL VDBs passengers even when IDB rules mean don't have to pay. This way their stats are zero IDB.
Thank you for explaining that to me. 🙄

If Delta doesn’t have to pay for an IDB in this circumstance, why would they pay for a VDB. That was the point.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
I would agree that this is nonsense. Basically the rules are that you’re entitled to compensation if you give up your seat. I’ve gotten there earlier before on a different airline but that doesn’t matter because it’s the flight that you are confirmed on that is oversold. The main thing is to never give up your seat until you confirm compensation AND options.
That's actually not true. Your contract is AAA-CCC not AAA-BBB-CCC. Delta has the right to reroute you, and get you to the destination within one hour of your original schedule without compensation. They definitely don’t owe you money if you fly nonstop and you arrive before your originally scheduled arrival time.

*they may do it for goodwill, but it’s not at all required.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thank you for explaining that to me. 🙄

If Delta doesn’t have to pay for an IDB in this circumstance, why would they pay for a VDB. That was the point.
You seemed to ignored where I said exactly why - to avoid IDB. By law they must solicit volunteer first. Who is going to volunteer for free? Even if they don't have to pay anything they still must report out as having IDB a passenger if they don't get a volunteer. Same reason they'll pay iut $10k for VDB even though IDB would be only a few hundred.
moondog and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

That's actually not true. Your contract is AAA-CCC not AAA-BBB-CCC. Delta has the right to reroute you, and get you to the destination within one hour of your original schedule without compensation. They definitely don’t owe you money if you fly nonstop and you arrive before your originally scheduled arrival time.

*they may do it for goodwill, but it’s not at all required.
This isn't correct. VDB/IDB is per the flight. The only connection to the overall ticket is in regards to if IDB payment is required or not. The airline must still solicit volunteers even if they could otherwise IDB a passenger for free. No one is going to volunteer for free. Since DL places priority on having zero IDB, money is going to be paid.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:51 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
This screams of redcoat/agent making up their own rules. Earlier arrival aside, if the flight is overbooked and a customer agrees to change their routing due to DL’s fault, compensation should be offered. They were likely trying to “sell it” as a free same day change that would’ve bettered your travel and allowed them to avoid providing compensation to improve their statistics.

Personally, I no longer will consider any VDB on Delta. The reason is I have seen how Delta often twists what is really IDB into VDB to pad their statistics, and gives a false impression of them being extremely low compared to other carriers when they are in reality not. I know that’s not the focus of this thread here, so apologize for the rant.

All airlines, not just DL, need to be reigned in on their overbooking practices.
I never consider VDB. When traveling for business, our company policy prohibits us from accepting VDB. When traveling for personal reasons, I'm with my family and have zero interest in changing our travel plans. I know that VDB can be very profitable for some people who have sufficient travel flexibility, and more power to them.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You seemed to ignored where I said exactly why - to avoid IDB. By law they must solicit volunteer first. Who is going to volunteer for free? Even if they don't have to pay anything they still must report out as having IDB a passenger if they don't get a volunteer. Same reason they'll pay iut $10k for VDB even though IDB would be only a few hundred.
They have to solicit VDB first. Yes. But it doesn’t matter.

GA: “would you like to fly nonstop for free?”
flyer: “no”
GA: “ok, I’m IDB’in you. We owe you nothing because you’re flying nonstop for free.”

Absurd example that doesn’t really happen. But the OP VOLUTEERED to fly nonstop and wanted cash and DL said no. I merely pointed out that DL could force them to IDB for free.
jamiel likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)

GA: “ok, I’m IDB’in you. We owe you nothing because you’re flying nonstop for free.”

Absurd example that doesn’t really happen. But the OP VOLUTEERED to fly nonstop and wanted cash and DL said no. I merely pointed out that DL could force them to IDB for free.
I suspect the underlying concern for DL is that the PR hit related to higher IDB rates is considered a higher/worse cost than the financial cost of compensating for VDB?
jamiel, Spiff, flyerCO and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:52 am

A few reasons why the nonstop is not necessarily better than the connection. 1) bags are already checked so passenger will have to wait for the bags anyways. 2) seats booked or upgraded to are much more desirable on the original connecting flights than the last minute middle at the back which is all that’s left on the nonstop. 3) bins are full on the nonstop so now passenger has to check his carry-on bag. 4) passenger was meeting someone at the connecting airport. 5) passenger is really flying to connecting (hidden city) airport only and not to nonstop destination (joking).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
A few reasons why the nonstop is not necessarily better than the connection. .
What does this have to do with the OP’s question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.