Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Last Minute Booking as Diamond - Only middle seats left!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist

Hi all,

A question I have thought about but never had reason to ask!

I just booked a last minute flight for Tues 5 March DL1669 LGA-MSP - there was no F left, nor C+ (other than the two blocked seats). In Main cabin, there are blocked seats too but only middle seats to select.

Right now, I have selected no seat

What is the best strategy for a Diamond here? I really do not wish to be in a middle while some Basic Economy type gets one of the window or aisle blocked seats at the gate.

Advise please!
Old Mar 2, 2024, 5:09 am

Check the 2 upgrade boxes and you will likely clear into 1 of the 2 C+ seats at the gate. Between now and Tuesday check the seat map frequently for an open aisle or window.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 5:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Diamonds are allowed to put the basic economy types into the overhead bin and take their seat.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Diamonds are allowed to put the basic economy types into the overhead bin and take their seat.
But then where would our carry-on bag go?
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
This happened to me once before - I actually went up to the GA and asked if that if she cleared anyone for a C+ upgrade from a window or aisle, could she move me to that seat. She didn't hesitate and said sure thing.

Sure enough, my BP changed on the app right before boarding to a (regular Y) aisle seat. Other than something opening up before departure, that's probably the best you can do.
bloc0102 and busdriver11 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Another thought - DL generally reserves the last ~2 rows or so for GA assignment, but I’ve called and had success asking a res agent to assign me one of the blocked seats. It may be in the back, but better than a middle!
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:28 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by Cory6188
Another thought - DL generally reserves the last ~2 rows or so for GA assignment, but I’ve called and had success asking a res agent to assign me one of the blocked seats. It may be in the back, but better than a middle!
I'd ask for 10D or 10E which are also blocked for airport control on A319.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:30 am

between now and when you fly a better seat will probably open up, you can set an alert on expertflyer or just keep checking the seat map, you can also call but in my experience a better seat almost always appears
busdriver11 and MasterPengs like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you call, an agent might be able to assign you to a blocked seat, although there's a risk that you could be booted from it for a service dog, etc.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I wouldn't select a seat at this time, but do it at the airport through a Delta agent. Typically the front counter will print out a "seat request" card which gets you through TSA.
As noted above, check the upgrade boxes for both F and C+. When the Diamond level was created circa 2010, I was in your position, going on short notice someplace with the first segment BWI-ATL, I had a confirmed reservation but no seat, and the fine GA I dealt with cleared me straight into F.
Good Luck!!!
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Call DL and see if the agent can assign you to 13C (one of the blocked seats). I've had success with this when the seat map either shows only middle seats or sometimes even no seats to select.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
You're not really trying. 3 days in advance is hardly "last minute."
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:34 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Brooklyn-LGA-Flyer
But then where would our carry-on bag go?
In your originally assigned middle seat.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brooklyn-LGA-Flyer
What is the best strategy for a Diamond here?
A middle seat is tolerable if you’re under 350,000 carats and flawless.
Brooklyn-LGA-Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kale73
A middle seat is tolerable if you’re under 350,000 carats and flawless.
John Portland likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.