Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2024, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerCO
MQM Conversion Key Points
  1. Once selected your choices are FINAL.
  2. You have until Dec 31 2024 to make selections.
  3. If you do NOT make selections by Dec 31 2024, then all rollover converts to MQDs.
  4. You can extend 2024 earned status (what you earned flying in 2023) for 100k per year. There is no limit to number of years this can be done. (There was a FT report of agent saying 5 years, and at least one blog briefly stated this. However as examples below show, there is definitely no limit)
  5. If you elect status extensions, but will earn status this year by earning the MQDs required, you will not get an extra year of status.
  6. There is no way to skip a year when extending status. You cannot simply tell DL to start extension with 2026 status instead of 2025. i.e. you know you will earn required MQDs this year for 2025 status. You cannot tell DL to simply skip extension for the 2025 status year.
  7. You can convert rollover into MQDs at rate of 10 MQMs to $1 MQDs.
  8. You can convert rollover in miles at rate of 2 MQMs to 1 mile.
  9. You can select multiple options. MQD option can be done using 0, 25, 50, 75, or 100% of available MQMs.
  10. Any remaining MQMs after deducting for extensions and MQDs, get converted to miles.
  11. If you have MQMs remaining to post, any additional will be converted in MQDs/miles with MQDsusing the percentage you selected….i.e. if you have 1000 MQMs post a month after select conversion to MQDs using the 50% option, 500 of the 1000 MQMs will be converted into MQDs and 500 of the 1000 MQMs into miles.
ALL SELECTIONS ARE FINAL. NO DO-OVERS!

FAQS

Do I get Choice Benefits if elect extension?

YES. However if you extend DM, you only get the DM CBs, unless you also earn PM naturally. (Either from MQDs or because of 2MM status)

Note DL has decided to make us wait for CB till Feb 1, if elect extensions. If get due to MQD selection then you get 2025 CB right away.

I made my selections, but now want to change them. What can I do?

Once selected, all choices are FINAL. There is no changing them. If you are unsure how you wish to apply selections, you need wait till you are, but you must select on or before Dec 31, 2024.

It is Jan 1, 2025, I didn't make a selection, what can I do?

Nothing. If you don't select on or before Dec 31, 2024 all rollover will automatically convert into MQDs.

If I elect MQDs, but don't need them, can I change my election?

No. Once selected, all choices are final.

​​​​​​I elected MQDs, but don't need them, will they rollover to next year?

No. There is no MQD rollover. They are simply lost/wasted MQDs.

I am a Diamond and selecting extension for one or more years. Is there any reason to select anything other than zero percent for MQDs?

No/Yes As MQDs do not rollover, if you are Diamond and are electing status extension, there is no benefit to selecting the MQDs option unless you won't earn PM otherwise and want the PM CBs. You need to be careful if doing this, as any MQDs above PM will be wasted MQDs, as MQDs do not rollover. Also if you end up under PM MQD, any MQDs selected would be wasted. (As reaching GM MQD confers no additional benefits)

Print Wikipost

MQM Conversion Active

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
MQM Conversion Active

App showed option to convert MQM this evening. Clicked through and made selection.

Old Feb 20, 2024, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been seeing a MQD pending number on the app that far exceeds what I've been spending on my Reserve card. I wonder whether DL is doing the calculation as if I convert all of my MQMs to MQDs. My 2500 MQDs for carrying the card are already in the actual number. I have a few trips booked, but not enough to explain all of my pending MQDs, and I don't see any relation to recent and pending charges on my card.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:32 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've been seeing a MQD pending number on the app that far exceeds what I've been spending on my Reserve card. I wonder whether DL is doing the calculation as if I convert all of my MQMs to MQDs. My 2500 MQDs for carrying the card are already in the actual number. I have a few trips booked, but not enough to explain all of my pending MQDs, and I don't see any relation to recent and pending charges on my card.
For me the pending number only shows my upcoming Delta flights so far.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Couldn't access the option last night but I can do so now. Not sure if I want to convert to redeemable miles or MQDs. I guess I'll wait till the end of the year to see where I am in terms of re-qualification.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:08 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
The bummer for me (and probably many others) is that I will probably organically hit diamond this year. I wish there were a way to carry forward the 1 time extension to use possibly next year. oh well
jamesteroh, rylan and TheHorta like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:15 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
If I elect to extend DM status for several years now, when will the 2025, 2026, etc. CBs become available each year?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by micstatic
The bummer for me (and probably many others) is that I will probably organically hit diamond this year. I wish there were a way to carry forward the 1 time extension to use possibly next year. oh well
Join the club. But what you are in effect doing is locking in DM in future years when MQD will likely be higher than $28k MQD. DL already showed their hand that they want it close to $35k. So in my view it cost me 100k SM to insure DM for 2026 and I got my 2025 CBs early.
flyerCO, TheHorta and chipbennett like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:34 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Join the club. But what you are in effect doing is locking in DM in future years when MQD will likely be higher than $28k MQD. DL already showed their hand that they want it close to $35k. So in my view it cost me 100k SM to insure DM for 2026 and I got my 2025 CBs early.
As we've discussed: same here. The MQMs were Monopoly money to begin with. I'm perfectly happy with trading 200K of them not to have to worry about MQDs again until two years from now. There's a very good chance I do hit $28K actual MQD this year. But this way, it doesn't matter what the 2026 threshold will be. And as it keeps going up, I've already accepted that I'll eventually be dropped back down to PM long-term (and maybe once the ranks are thinned, PM will actually mean something once again).

I might spend the remainder 8,000 RDMs worth of rollover MDMs on an upsell Sky Club wine.
williwaw likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:53 am

Datapoint. I chose 2-year extension and balance SM. The SM were posted within 15 minutes. CBs not yet available.
happydad100 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:11 am

I chose to convert all my MQD's to my account, only $209 away from Platinum now.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:25 am

Why would anyone make the decision to extend status today?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:28 am

If you only buy premium cabin tickets (FC and D1), status is pretty much useless apart from getting an agent on the phone slightly faster. I think I might opt to convert to miles.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:28 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by shoodawg
Upgrade priority.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by shoodawg
Early access to CB. Also if doing for multiple years, it doesn't matter if you meet MQD this year or not. You still must "waste" 100k on this year in order to get extension for any further years.
MSPeconomist and busdriver11 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FabCW
If you only buy premium cabin tickets (FC and D1), status is pretty much useless apart from getting an agent on the phone slightly faster. I think I might opt to convert to miles.
Status still matters in IRROPS, for standby, etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.