Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Force check carry ons on HNL to MSP itin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat

Just a little edgy here...chances that some passengers are forced to check carry ons at the gate? We are in boarding group 3. We cannot have our carry ons force checked. Gate check is fine, not force checked through to final destination though.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Just a little edgy here...chances that some passengers are forced to check carry ons at the gate? We are in boarding group 3. We cannot have our carry ons force checked. Gate check is fine, not force checked through to final destination though.
Gaye check is only done for RJ flights. Otherwise it is through check.

Is there a reason can't through check? How long is connection? It could be long enough you can short check to MSP.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta, United
Delta does not have a boarding group 3 do you mean "Main Cabin 3?" Being the next to last group to board gate checking on a full light is always possible. If you do not want to risk that then make sure any carry on bags can fit under the seat in front of you.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
The HNL-MSP flight is on a 767. That means coach is 7-across (2-3-2), yet the middle bins are very small and don’t accommodate many roll-aboards. If you’re in Main Cabin 3, it is HIGLY likely you will be required to check to the final destination. The 767 never allows for pink-tagging (gate check). The only way to ensure there is space is to pay to upgrade your ticket to C+ or D1. Delta no longer does paid early boarding.
WidgetsOfTheSkies likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: NW GE
767 better than most for decreasing your chance of a gate check because there is better overhead bins to seats ratio since double aisle 2-3-2. Other side of the coin is that it’s a red eye so lots of personal items will go in the bins. Would be prepared to check it if you absolutely have to (ie bring a smaller tote bag to pull the items you can’t check out and carry on board)
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:27 am

If I remember correctly, OP had posted that they were planning to book a throwaway ticket for this flight. Like others have mentioned, if they have to check your bag it will go to your final destination, and by zone 3, often they don't even give you option. The only way to avoid it is to pack light enough that your bag can fit under the seat in front of you. It is one of the many ways these schemes can and will go wrong.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
If I remember correctly, OP had posted that they were planning to book a throwaway ticket for this flight. Like others have mentioned, if they have to check your bag it will go to your final destination, and by zone 3, often they don't even give you option. The only way to avoid it is to pack light enough that your bag can fit under the seat in front of you. It is one of the many ways these schemes can and will go wrong.
good catch!! The 767 300 has pretty bad overheads, so now having tried to save money by buying a throw away you can either board before your group and hope for the best, take the tag bag off and once again hope ups the bag back……. The 767 300 overhead is pretty bad I could hardly get my smallest bag in the bin in D1 last I was on one, the good news is vacationers with free bags are pretty likely to check bags on a route that is mostly leisure and doesn’t have the quick trip crowd you see on the west coast in the end the only way to avoid the issue is to board out of turn which you may or may not get away with, easiest group to try is passengers needing extra time, but once again this is why throw away tickets aren’t always a great idea
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Situation
Correct. But not a scheme just smart for not getting hosed out of $400 pp. We will make it work. Any chance of short checking? Layover is 3:45 long one.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:46 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Correct. But not a scheme just smart for not getting hosed out of $400 pp. We will make it work. Any chance of short checking? Layover is 3:45 long one.
Smart... or some would say dishonest and fraudulent, but I digress

Remember not to put you Frequent Flyer information on the reservation.
OHDL1, cre95, MSPeconomist and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
For a 3:45 layover? Probably not unless you can somehow convince an agent there's something you'll need on arrival in MSP and are willing to go to bag claim to get it but the agent may also tell you to take it out of the carryon that would be checked. You could always try to board with Pre-boarders to secure overhead space. Might well depend on the GA on whether you're able to get away with it. That said, yes, it is a "scheme" in DL's eyes and a violation of the contract of carriage.
Delta prohibits ticketing practices intended to circumvent the published fare that Delta intends to offer for your true itinerary. These practices include:
3) Hidden City/Point Beyond Ticketing - The purchase or usage of a fare from a point before the passenger's actual origin or to a point beyond the passenger's actual destination.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/legal/co...f-carriage-dgr

With hidden city ticketing, you are taking a gamble - a gamble that things will run smoothly and workout and you'll come out ahead with cost savings. But when you gamble, you sometimes lose and the loss can be more than what you'd save in other costs (straight cash, time, hassle/headache, etc.).
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Next time, if possiblebook over a 6 hour connection. DL will always let you short check in that case. I know most domestic doesn't allow over 4 hour connections, but i thought HA flights do. If it doesn't, consider a Canada/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean destination for return. These do allow over 4 hour connections.

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Smart... or some would say dishonest and fraudulent, but I digress

Remember not to put you Frequent Flyer information on the reservation.
No need to worry about FF, as longcas you're not doing regularly.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
For a 3:45 layover? Probably not unless you can somehow convince an agent there's something you'll need on arrival in MSP and are willing to go to bag claim to get it but the agent may also tell you to take it out of the carryon that would be checked. You could always try to board with Pre-boarders to secure overhead space. Might well depend on the GA on whether you're able to get away with it. That said, yes, it is a "scheme" in DL's eyes and a violation of the contract of carriage.
Delta prohibits ticketing practices intended to circumvent the published fare that Delta intends to offer for your true itinerary. These practices include:
3) Hidden City/Point Beyond Ticketing - The purchase or usage of a fare from a point before the passenger's actual origin or to a point beyond the passenger's actual destination.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/legal/co...f-carriage-dgr

With hidden city ticketing, you are taking a gamble - a gamble that things will run smoothly and workout and you'll come out ahead with cost savings. But when you gamble, you sometimes lose and the loss can be more than what you'd save in other costs (straight cash, time, hassle/headache, etc.).
I am fully aware of my 'gamble'. At worst Ill have to make a 5 hr round trip drive upon return to pick up my bags at the nearby airport. We just wont put anything in there that we cant live without
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
OP, I thought you sprained your ankle and needed a wheelchair assist to board early and get settled in? If you are int skiplagging then you probably wont hesitate to do this charade.
OHDL1 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
OP, I thought you sprained your ankle and needed a wheelchair assist to board early and get settled in? If you are int skiplagging then you probably wont hesitate to do this charade.
lol...no not gonna go with the fake injury thing
Old Feb 19, 2024, 3:37 pm

I am fully aware of my 'gamble'. At worst Ill have to make a 5 hr round trip drive upon return to pick up my bags at the nearby airport. We just wont put anything in there that we cant live without

fully aware of your gamble, but at your very first post on this thread, you announced you cannot have your bag checked?

Last edited by Orange County Commuter; Feb 19, 2024 at 3:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.