Wiki Posts
Search

Why only 1 bag to EYW

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Why only 1 bag to EYW

I was flying out of EYW last week and heard many people complaining about the single bag limit on Delta. I know the runway is short, which means weight restrictions.

However, AA also flies 319's to DFW from there, with no restrictions which is nearly twice the distance. They also fly to CLT which is similar to ATL.

So, why does Delta have this limitation but AA doesn't, on the same AC type?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Do both carriers utilize the same engine type on their A319's?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:54 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
There’s a lot of reasons.

The fully loaded take off distance for an A319 at seal level (Key West) is about 6,100 feet. The runway is 5,076 feet so clearly, you can’t take off fully loaded.

The aircraft type may be the same, but the configuration and hence the weight, will differ. This can be down to seat types, interior standard equipment, weight of the paint scheme, how much cargo they routinely plan to load, standard passenger load, standard and diversion fuel, you get the idea, there are many variables and when every pound counts to meet the (reduced) take off weight limit, airlines will get to that limit in the most cost effective way that works for them.

So although the aircraft “type” is the same, there are many differences in the way they are loaded and operated which leads to this apparent discrepancy.
ATOBTTR and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:57 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
Mainly yes to the engine type both, CFM 56-5B.

Last edited by Slow learner; Feb 4, 2024 at 7:57 pm Reason: Add quote
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Just because AA doesn't have a one bag rule doesn't mean they aren't regularly weight restricted. I live in a similar station with a short runway and many A319s flights that often become weight restricted at the gate. I would argue a one bag rule is better than what happens here, where Delta often has to find many volunteers to take later flights, often delaying boarding in the process.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 12:31 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
American has a sub fleet of A319 aircraft with sharklets, which they use for destinations with some limiting operations (BOG, EYW, JAC, EGE, SXM, STT). The DL A319s have the older 2x CFMI CFM56-5A5, while the sharklet ones have CFMI CFM56-5B7/3. If you look at YouTube videos of both taking off from in front of the wing, you can hear a slight difference in sound regardless of engine power level.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
AA's 319's also have four fewer seats. However that will be changing shortly:

American A319s Getting More First Class Seats, Tighter Cabin - One Mile at a Time

When there's a weight restriction, 4 seats less makes a difference.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL
Did they scrap or sell all the 737-700s? It surprised me that they just got rid of them since it was the same cockpit as the other 737s. They need a refurb but they also have those one off 737-900ERs in the fleet now so it wouldn't be the worst thing.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paul21
Did they scrap or sell all the 737-700s? It surprised me that they just got rid of them since it was the same cockpit as the other 737s. They need a refurb but they also have those one off 737-900ERs in the fleet now so it wouldn't be the worst thing.
Yes, during COVID.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Good to know. Hard to believe that AA pulls off 2x the distance and no limits while DL doesn't.
I have been on the AA flights many times, 100% full. I've never seen them be weight restricted.

Had no idea different A319s could be that different.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 3:21 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Yes, during COVID.
They retired them during COVID but the latest I saw they kept three in storage in San Bernardino. I was wondering more specifically if N310DE for example was still around with any potential to unretire.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by EBiafore99
AA's 319's also have four fewer seats. However that will be changing shortly:

American A319s Getting More First Class Seats, Tighter Cabin - One Mile at a Time

When there's a weight restriction, 4 seats less makes a difference.
Incorrect, see post #6

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.