Wiki Posts
Search

Short Check bag timing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2024, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Short Check bag timing

Have a one way DL itin coming up soon. Involves a fairly long layover. Is the 6 hour short check rule for checked bags a hard and fast rule on DL? My layover is about 5:40 in duration. Would not mind getting bags at the one stop but maybe not a possibility?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Have a one way DL itin coming up soon. Involves a fairly long layover. Is the 6 hour short check rule for checked bags a hard and fast rule on DL? My layover is about 5:40 in duration. Would not mind getting bags at the one stop but maybe not a possibility?
Unless you can con convince agent of a good reason, yes.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Ok. On the flip side, if I would have a layover of over 6 hours, is it a definite that my bags would be short checked to the layover point and ONLY CHECKED THRU TO FINAL DESTINATION if I specifically request that?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Ok. On the flip side, if I would have a layover of over 6 hours, is it a definite that my bags would be short checked to the layover point and ONLY CHECKED THRU TO FINAL DESTINATION if I specifically request that?
Yes. The sustem should automatically short check.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 11:02 am

Does the mandatory domestic 12 hr short check limit apply to international arrivals as well?

I'm considering a flight from HND with a first stop in ATL where there is a 22 hr overnight layover in ATL before the second leg (domestic). It looks like the HND flight normally arrives in Terminal E and I understand that Delta only sends arriving passengers and bags to Terminal F (where you can easily leave the airport after clearing customs/immigration) when ATL is the final destination.

Since the layover is a long overnight and I've got friends in Atlanta I can visit with, I'd prefer my checked bags go straight to Terminal F rather than Terminal E (where I'd have to figure out how to get them sent to baggage claim and then reclear TSA just to get on the plane train to baggage claim). And I certainly don't want my bags sitting somewhere in the Atlanta airport during that 22 hr layover if they had to be checked through or dropped at Terminal E to go to my final destination.

Can anyone clarify? Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 4:01 pm

Programs: Hub Captive Club
Originally Posted by galawdawg
Does the mandatory domestic 12 hr short check limit apply to international arrivals as well?

I'm considering a flight from HND with a first stop in ATL where there is a 22 hr overnight layover in ATL before the second leg (domestic). It looks like the HND flight normally arrives in Terminal E and I understand that Delta only sends arriving passengers and bags to Terminal F (where you can easily leave the airport after clearing customs/immigration) when ATL is the final destination.

Since the layover is a long overnight and I've got friends in Atlanta I can visit with, I'd prefer my checked bags go straight to Terminal F rather than Terminal E (where I'd have to figure out how to get them sent to baggage claim and then reclear TSA just to get on the plane train to baggage claim). And I certainly don't want my bags sitting somewhere in the Atlanta airport during that 22 hr layover if they had to be checked through or dropped at Terminal E to go to my final destination.

Can anyone clarify? Thanks.
IF they're checked to ATL they'll go to terminal F with all of the other passengers terminating in ATL....it doesn't matter which terminal the plane parks at. The only time you can get crossed up between E & F is if your luggage is checked through to the next destination and you want to leave the airport with it. If you're in E that's a problem...if you're in F you can just walk out with it.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by spin2nd
IF they're checked to ATL they'll go to terminal F with all of the other passengers terminating in ATL....it doesn't matter which terminal the plane parks at. The only time you can get crossed up between E & F is if your luggage is checked through to the next destination and you want to leave the airport with it. If you're in E that's a problem...if you're in F you can just walk out with it.
Thanks. What I'm hoping to find out is whether they will automatically be short checked to ATL instead of being checked through to my final destination (AVL) since I would have a 22 hr overnight layover in ATL before my AVL flight departure (also on DL).
Old Feb 17, 2024, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by galawdawg
Thanks. What I'm hoping to find out is whether they will automatically be short checked to ATL instead of being checked through to my final destination (AVL) since I would have a 22 hr overnight layover in ATL before my AVL flight departure (also on DL).
Are you checking in at HND with DL? Ir is there a previous segment? As long as checkin is with DL the tag should automatically only goto ATL. If by chance it doesn't (or agent there decided without asking to tag all the way), ask for it only to goto ATL. Over 6 hours you have the choice to short check.

If you have another segment before, the agent there will tag all the way (DL systems are what automatically apply the cutoffs less than 24hrs) as OAL won't apply DL 12 hr rule.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
Yes, and one more thing I’ll add:

If over 6 and you would like them checked thru to final destination, you must get an agent that knows how to do it. Many do not and will insist it’s not possible because the system defaults to short check. It is allowed for domestic up to 12 and international up to 24. Politely ask for a red coat if needed. I’ve done that plenty of times when facing a 6-7 hour connection.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Are you checking in at HND with DL? Ir is there a previous segment? As long as checkin is with DL the tag should automatically only goto ATL. If by chance it doesn't (or agent there decided without asking to tag all the way), ask for it only to goto ATL. Over 6 hours you have the choice to short check.

If you have another segment before, the agent there will tag all the way (DL systems are what automatically apply the cutoffs less than 24hrs) as OAL won't apply DL 12 hr rule.
I'll be checking in at HND. Direct to ATL. Then a 22 hr overnight layover before my ATL-AVL flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.