Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

My spouse has died. What do i need to do to transfer Skymiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

Is there a process to do this?
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:24 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
I’m sorry for your loss. Technically the miles are forfeited on the death of the member. However, you can keep making reservations under that account if you say nothing to delta.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sorry for loss.

Do not tell DL. Account will be closed immediately, miles lost.
Brendan and WebTraveler like this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jan 24, 2024 at 5:59 am
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I'm very sorry for your loss.
Brendan, khkchan, flyerCO and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
I’m sorry for your loss. Technically the miles are forfeited on the death of the member. However, you can keep making reservations under that account if you say nothing to delta.
So sorry OP is going through this. To expound a little on the above comment, I am hopeful that you have access to your spouse's account, either knowing the login/password (saved on phone/PC?) or even possibly having access to email/phone such that you can change or possibly create a new password for the account. With the account available to you, you can book flights for you or others from the account. You just go through the normal booking process but have to change the passenger name to the person who would be traveling on the points.

Don't feel in any way bad about doing this, your spouse earned the benefits and its only fair that they go to good use for family and friends.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
My condolences to you and all the family.
kale73, Traveler_boy_25 and RRROOO like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by caseminole
Is there a process to do this?
Condolences to you and your family.

Process in today's world, real life and online life.
Get access to as much of the following
1. Emails, personal and business (es).

This might tell you all subscriptions, loyalty memberships (airline, hotel, etc), employer if worker/customers if a business, LinkedIn, FB, messengers, SMS, banking, etc
2. Employer / Colleagues

3. Subscriptions ...website domain ownership providers, newsletters, etc

4. Loyalty Memberships (airline, hotel, etc)

5. Banking (credit cards, accounts, etc)

6. Insurance policies ...car, home, medical, life

7. Twitter / Linkedin / FB / IG etc

8. SMS and Messenger Apps (FB, WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram, etc)

Most websites/apps/loyalty programs consider(ed) only their users as being alive. Gmail has a nice way of Inactive User after __ months, contact ___. FB put smth also.

For sibling who died...started in email looking for key items, but also cancelling "clutter" (newsletters not for money, notifications from postings in social media/etc) to better "see" the important items.

Again, condolences.
DiverDave, caseminole and RRROOO like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 4:22 am

DL will eventually find out and close the account. Book a dummy flight in the future in your name immediately.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jan 24, 2024 at 4:50 am
Old Jan 24, 2024, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
DL will eventually find out from social security and close the account. Book a dummy flight in the future in your name immediately.

🤣

No they don't. DL doesn't have your SSN number to begin with. 2nd, there's plenty of non-American DL FF members.

Sorry, but this made me laugh.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
🤣

No they don't. DL doesn't have your SSN number to begin with. 2nd, there's plenty of non-American DL FF members.

Sorry, but this made me laugh.
When my father passed away suddenly 2 years ago this is exactly what happened so unfortunately I speak from experience. His SM account was immediately closed by DL and all miles were forfeited. Not quite sure why this is so funny to you. I pray that your family doesn’t experience a similar tragedy.
Brendan and FabCW like this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jan 24, 2024 at 5:03 am
Old Jan 24, 2024, 5:39 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I am so sorry for your loss OP.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm sorry for your loss, OP.

Wouldn't/Couldn't Delta come back sometime later and say 'hey OP you booked trips under a false identity" or something similar and claim fraud? Just don't want to OP to do something they might regret later due to some buried T&C's somewhere that no one probably can see or find.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

When my father passed away suddenly 2 years ago this is exactly what happened so unfortunately I speak from experience. His SM account was immediately closed by DL and all miles were forfeited. Not quite sure why this is so funny to you. I pray that your family doesn’t experience a similar tragedy.
I'm laughing at the suggestion that DL is notified by SSA that someone died. If someone at DL told you that, they were either lying or as normal had no clue what talking about.

Even banks aren't notified. The exception being the bank where any SSA funds are edeposited. They are notified solely for purposes of returning the funds.

Ive handled number of estates for family/friends. Im well versed in this aspect of things.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 7:15 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm sorry for your loss, OP.

Wouldn't/Couldn't Delta come back sometime later and say 'hey OP you booked trips under a false identity" or something similar and claim fraud? Just don't want to OP to do something they might regret later due to some buried T&C's somewhere that no one probably can see or find.
We see the same or similar questions from time to time, but in >20 years of being active on FT, I’ve never seen a post where this happened.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Was someone trying to restore password to his account AND told Delta that the account holder had died?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.