Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL 752 nosewheel rolls off into the countryside at ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2024, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Well this is novel…

Firstboss likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
add this to the long list of reasons Delta needs to replace 757's.
(and Boeing needs a new like-for-like plane, which they clearly don't have)
Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:01 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Well this is novel…
I'm disappointed this was all audio, was hoping for something like

or

the phoenix likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Calling the area around ATL the countryside is...generous.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clearly the FAA needs to ground all 757s.
rmontelbon and DiverDave like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:08 pm

Programs: SM PM, Hilton Diamond. NCAR EE
That is why they have two wheels in the front vs. just one . I wonder if they had a recent hire that previously worked at Spirit tightening bolts?
mnhusker likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by lindros2
add this to the long list of reasons Delta needs to replace 757's.
(and Boeing needs a new like-for-like plane, which they clearly don't have)
If the USAF can keep airplanes flying that are about twice the age of some of Delta's 757s (looking at you, KC-135s, B-52s, and T-38s), it seems to make sense that this is unlikely to be an airframe or even airframe age issue and more likely a maintenance screw-up that could have just as easily happened on a new airframe.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
If the USAF can keep airplanes flying that are about twice the age of some of Delta's 757s (looking at you, KC-135s, B-52s, and T-38s), it seems to make sense that this is unlikely to be an airframe or even airframe age issue and more likely a maintenance screw-up that could have just as easily happened on a new airframe.
Agree to a point (the A330neo’s, 787, and 737-MAX haven’t been the bastion of quality).

buuuuuut… in the past two years I’ve been screwed with 757-200 and -300 on the level of how I got stiffed with MX on MD’s… albeit no diversions. Just 8 hour delays and cancellations.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
1:42 ATC: "You're definitely going to be tugged off?
1:47: PILOT: "That's the best course of action"
2:40: PILOT "They're gonna tug us off here" #getaroom

At least there was a happy ending
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Southwest pilot in a long line of aircraft immediately asking about himself getting another runway was a d*** move.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:52 pm

Those flying pencils really need the nose wheels

I'm just amazed it took over 3 hours to get the plane off the runway...
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Obviously not quite the same thing but agree with the above posters that the 757s are getting long in the tooth. Flew two separate 757s today (not the one with the tire falling off ) and one had no power to any of the power outlets and the other has no IFE or power to the power outlets. This tire thing was almost certainly a maintenance screw up but still - they're becoming the new MD-88/90s.

Course, I suppose a tire flying off on the ground and defective power/IFE is better than doors flying off in flight ..
Old Jan 23, 2024, 6:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wildcard442
Those flying pencils really need the nose wheels

I'm just amazed it took over 3 hours to get the plane off the runway...
Agreed. The most amazing part of this story is the world's busiest airport shut down a runway for 2+ hours for something that could/should have been a relatively quick fix (tug). Could you imagine sitting on the runway for 3 hours for a wheel.

Just arm-chair quarterbacking, though. I'm well aware that people much smarter than I were involved. I wonder if the lengthy delay in pulling it off the runway was for mechanical inspections. AvHerald reports the total delay was 5hr-15min.

Would there have been any notification in the cockpit? Tire pressure sensor not reading correctly?
dtwtransport, Firstboss and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583
Agreed. The most amazing part of this story is the world's busiest airport shut down a runway for 2+ hours for something that could/should have been a relatively quick fix (tug). Could you imagine sitting on the runway for 3 hours for a wheel.

Just arm-chair quarterbacking, though. I'm well aware that people much smarter than I were involved. I wonder if the lengthy delay in pulling it off the runway was for mechanical inspections. AvHerald reports the total delay was 5hr-15min.

Would there have been any notification in the cockpit? Tire pressure sensor not reading correctly?

There probably wasn't any indication... not until the plane behind was like, "uh, you lost your wheel" lol. Either way, 5+ hours sitting on a plane... I wouldn't handle that very well!
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by ethernal
Obviously not quite the same thing but agree with the above posters that the 757s are getting long in the tooth. Flew two separate 757s today (not the one with the tire falling off ) and one had no power to any of the power outlets and the other has no IFE or power to the power outlets. This tire thing was almost certainly a maintenance screw up but still - they're becoming the new MD-88/90s.

Course, I suppose a tire flying off on the ground and defective power/IFE is better than doors flying off in flight ..

Definitely getting long in the tooth. Had something similar last week on one (LAS-ATL). First, a 3 hour delay. Then the AB side of the plane had no power or IFE. Also the oven couldn't get the food past warm. Even after an extra 15 minutes past the suggested cooking time. And the purser just shrugged and said "oh well" to the people in front of me who commented on the situation. I used to like flying these many moons ago. Now I see them (and 737ERs and 717) way too often thanks to the routes I am flying

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.