Wiki Posts
Search

What should I do with 1.5M MQMs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
What should I do with 1.5M MQMs?

As a lifetime Diamond with a ton of MQMs... what would you do with 1.5m MQMs?

Last edited by Harlem; Jan 16, 2024 at 6:42 am
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Go someplace fun
shoodawg likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Harlem
As a lifetime Diamond with a ton of MQMs... what would you with 1.5m MQMs?
Convert them to 750k redeemable miles, then do with them what you can.

I hear Utica's nice this time of year.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

750k redeemable miles seems light.... anyone heard of someone negotiating a better conversion rate?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
750k redeemable miles seems light.... anyone heard of someone negotiating a better conversion rate?
Haha.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
As a lifetime Diamond with a ton of MQMs... what would you with 1.5m MQMs?
Not sure if you’re kidding but the conversion rate was communicated months ago. If you’re lifetime DM then what good is an MQM anyway? Aren’t you happy to have free travel?
busdriver11 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:35 am

You only have 3 choices: MQDs or DM extensions (both of which are a waste for you) and 750k RDMs which at a minimum are worth $7500 in DL travel for you or anyone else with a DL Amex.
bloc0102 and busdriver11 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Not sure if you’re kidding but the conversion rate was communicated months ago. If you’re lifetime DM then what good is an MQM anyway? Aren’t you happy to have free travel?
I'm unhappy with their conversion rate. I did things to earn the MQMs... had I known that my MQMs would only be worth .5 Skymiles in the future then my behavior would have been focussed away from earning MQMs. For instance, rather than spending money on my DL cards I would have spent them on other credit cards with better redemption values. I feel it was a bait and switch from DL.
NoleATL likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:52 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
I'm unhappy with their conversion rate. I did things to earn the MQMs... had I known that my MQMs would only be worth .5 Skymiles in the future then my behavior would have been focussed away from earning MQMs. For instance, rather than spending money on my DL cards I would have spent them on other credit cards with better redemption values. I feel it was a bait and switch from DL.
live and learn .... and move on
indufan, cre95, SFO777 and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:12 am

Considering you can't even convert yet I doubt anyone has attempted, much less been successful in a negotiation of better conversion rates.
Harlem and busdriver11 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
1. Was there a time when Delta promised that (rollover) MQMs would ever be worth anything except for achieving future SM status? I've been in the program only 10 years, so things could have been different before my time.

2. As someone who has earned all lifetime miles (and prior MQMs) organically as BIS and not through CC spend, I'm honestly glad to be more on an equal footing for achieving status with Delta's current changes. I'll hit 1MM next year (if not this year - and hopefully I'm not flying enough to hit it this year), all through BIS actual miles. (And for the same reason, I don't like where Marriott is going, moving Bonvoy toward recognizing CC spend more than actual nights spent in hotels.) Also, this is just commentary on the program. I have nothing against people who used the program to the best of their advantage based on the rules at any given time (even if I wish loyalty programs for travelers got back to recognizing loyalty for actual travel - BIS for airlines, head-on-pillow for hotels, etc.).
indufan, chollie, Harlem and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:28 am

You have zero negotiating leverage here. Same with trying to get a low-interest mortgage now. The past is irrelevant. Take the 750k SM and move on.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:45 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
If you have diamond for life, what are you complaining about?
ffI, Adam1222, bloc0102 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:51 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
As a lifetime Diamond with a ton of MQMs... what would you do with 1.5m MQMs?
You are theoretically not a lifetime Diamond, the same as I’m not a lifetime Platinum…it’s known as “Annual Complimentary” 360/DM/PM/GM/SM, as Delta can change the Ts and Cs anytime!
ffI, Harlem, ctsgoblue and 2 others like this.

Last edited by audidudi; Jan 16, 2024 at 8:15 am Reason: Added “Annual Complimentary”
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
I'll take the 750,000 skymiles and move on...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.