Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Am I missing Something? Amex Plat - Delta Amex Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Am I missing something here. And if I am not why would anyone charge anything to a Delta Credit Card?

Delta Gold - 2x miles on Delta Purchases
Delta Platinum - 3x miles on Delta Purchases
Delta Reserve - 3x miles on Delta Purchases

Amex Personal Platinum - 5x Points on flights booked directly with airlines.
Amex Personal Platinum points can be transferred to Delta at 1:1 ratio.

So a $1000 ticket purchased on Delta Platinum or Reserve nets you 3000 Delta Miles. The same ticket purchased directly from Delta on the Amex Platinum gets you 5,000 Amex points which can be turned into 5000 Delta miles, or used for other purposes.

This takes nothing into account that the Amex points can also be transferred to many other partners as well as used as cash equivalent via their travel portal hotels, flights, and rental cars.

I'll keep the Delta reserve card for the annual first class companion ticket but as far as actually using the card why would anyone do that when you can earn more points/miles, and more flexible points, by using the Amex Platinum card? Yes Delts reserve is a tie breaker on the upgrade list but now that is below million miler status so it is less valuable.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
The AMEX Platinum does charge to transfer to Delta Skymiles. That’s the downside.
dw likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
For many of us you are 100% correct. The only charges I made last year were to hit the MQD exemption limit.

Going forward, spending on a DL card is only of value for those who can use it to hit a MQD cutoff. For those who only use them for the other benefits, might as well throw the card away, the value is all purchased via the annual fee.

EDIT: I guess allseas technically has a point. But I think many can see better value in transferring AMEX/Chase./Cap1 points elsewhere.
dw likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:14 pm

If you need the MQDs and want unlimited SC access (I fly DL weekly) you have to put at least $75k/year on the Reserve. And after $150k spend on the corporate Reserve you get 1.5 miles/$. Most people don’t realize this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

It is $0.0006 per point excise tax. Far below the difference in 5x points/miles on the Amex Platinum compared to the 3x miles on the Delta cards (Not to mention the Delta gold card at 2x). It is $60 to turn 100,000 Amex points into Delta miles. The $60 can be paid with 6000 Amex points so I guess the way to look at it is 100,000 Amex points can be converted to 94,000 Delta Miles for no cost.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Jeffrey Paul; Jan 15, 2024 at 12:22 pm
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If you need the MQDs and want unlimited SC access (I fly DL weekly) you have to put at least $75k/year on the Reserve. And after $150k spend on the corporate Reserve you get 1.5 miles/$. Most people don’t realize this.
You get the same unlimited sky club access at $75k on the Amex platinum also. But of course, if someone needs the MQD to hit Diamond the Delta card can support getting there. Not really my case as my spend last year was $54k with Delta. All on the Delta Reserve card but will be moving that spend to the Amex Platinum for the more flexible points and ability to transfer to Delta for more miles.

It just seemed odd to me that the Amex Platinum could accrue more Delta miles for purchasing Delta tickets then the Delta credit card does.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Paul
...why would anyone do that when you can earn more points/miles, and more flexible points, by using the Amex Platinum card?
Lower annual fee.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
1) Many people are comfortable with only having one or two cards, especially at high annual fees. If you value the SkyClub access, companion pass, and tie breaker, you may find yourself with a Delta Reserve and not many other cards.

2) The main reason to spend on Delta Reserve has always been elite status. Before this year, it was the MQD Waiver and MQM Boost. Now, it is just the MQD per dollar spent. I plan on spending $30K to $40K on my Delta Reserve this year, as I have done in prior years, for the extra MQD.
dw, gretchendz and busdriver11 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I was recently thinking this the other day. I believe the Reserve card should raise the miles they give on Delta purchases from 3x to 5x.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'll keep the Delta reserve card for the annual first class companion ticket but as far as actually using the card why would anyone do that when you can earn more points/miles, and more flexible points, by using the Amex Platinum card?
Running money on a Delta branded Amex (particularly the Reserve) accrues status. For example, in the current year, $280,000 of charges would earn Diamond outright with no other activity. In past years, it accrued some MQM and waived the MQD requirement.

In practice, most people probably do it out of blind loyalty, but if you're looking for a game theoretic reason that's it.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Running money on a Delta branded Amex (particularly the Reserve) accrues status. For example, in the current year, $280,000 of charges would earn Diamond outright with no other activity. In past years, it accrued some MQM and waived the MQD requirement.

In practice, most people probably do it out of blind loyalty, but if you're looking for a game theoretic reason that's it.
$255k of charges not $280k as Amex gives you 2500 MQDs for holding the card.
findark likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by findark

Is it? I mean, people who highly value statue are combining these MQDs with the ones they earn flying to get status.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:28 pm

For me, I have a Business Reserve card for the Sky Club, MQDs, 1.5x miles after $150k, and of course the First Class Companion Certificate. The 5x vs 3x miles on Delta spend is really small potatoes unless you're spending tens of thousands on Delta fares, which I am not. I get $2-3k worth of value annually from the Companion Certificate, even though it can be a pain to use. With the $2500 MQD boost and 1.5x miles I get on purchases after mid-year there's really not much incentive to go with the Platinum, which costs more. Finally, unlimited Sky Club access is a huge perk and was really the main reason I got the card in the first place, years ago.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:52 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by exwannabe
For many of us you are 100% correct. The only charges I made last year were to hit the MQD exemption limit.

Going forward, spending on a DL card is only of value for those who can use it to hit a MQD cutoff. For those who only use them for the other benefits, might as well throw the card away, the value is all purchased via the annual fee.

EDIT: I guess allseas technically has a point. But I think many can see better value in transferring AMEX/Chase./Cap1 points elsewhere.
Also $75k for unlimited club.

Adding: I am not worried about eeking out every single point. I use CSR for my airline purchases because I like their insurance. I charge $75k on my delta reserve for the club. I would never hold only an Amex because you can’t use it absolutely everywhere.

Last edited by emma dog; Jan 15, 2024 at 5:04 pm
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Am I missing something here. And if I am not why would anyone charge anything to a Delta Credit Card?

Delta Gold - 2x miles on Delta Purchases
Delta Platinum - 3x miles on Delta Purchases
Delta Reserve - 3x miles on Delta Purchases

Amex Personal Platinum - 5x Points on flights booked directly with airlines.
Amex Personal Platinum points can be transferred to Delta at 1:1 ratio.

So a $1000 ticket purchased on Delta Platinum or Reserve nets you 3000 Delta Miles. The same ticket purchased directly from Delta on the Amex Platinum gets you 5,000 Amex points which can be turned into 5000 Delta miles, or used for other purposes.

This takes nothing into account that the Amex points can also be transferred to many other partners as well as used as cash equivalent via their travel portal hotels, flights, and rental cars.

I'll keep the Delta reserve card for the annual first class companion ticket but as far as actually using the card why would anyone do that when you can earn more points/miles, and more flexible points, by using the Amex Platinum card? Yes Delts reserve is a tie breaker on the upgrade list but now that is below million miler status so it is less valuable.
It's never made sense to charge to a DL card outside of earning an MQM bonus. People have still been doing it, at higher and higher rates, for years.
Goodoldflyer and BamaGirl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.