Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Domestic Premium Select Upgrade Preference

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2024, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I don't remember seeing a thread about it...

There appears to be a (relatively?) new option in the "Request Upgrades" section of "Travel Preferences" (the section where you untick the box so Delta doesn't automatically upgrade you to a C+ middle seat): "Delta Premium Select (Domestic Only)". It has the same Aisle/Middle/Window options as C+.

This seems to suggest DL will be marketing PS as a domestic product soon, presumably at least on flights like the NY-CA transcons that are operated with international equipment anyway. (AA will have a W cabin on their A321T replacements, and AS effectively sells a W cabin as F on these routes.) Good news if true...

Old Jan 6, 2024, 2:07 pm

I also saw a very strange category for PS on the comp upgrade list earlier this past week for a domestic flight. It showed the usual FC and C+ but also PS.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Long-haul D1 Hawaii routes (JFK/DTW/MSP/ATL/SLC) that are flown with equipment with PS cabins are already marketed as PS and have separate PS fare filings (fare filings have P/Q/U in second to last letter of fare basis code and fares book into PS P/A/G fare classes as usual).

There are no PS fares loaded yet on transcon D1 routes.
dw likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 6, 2024 at 2:15 pm
Old Jan 6, 2024, 3:01 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by xliioper
There are no PS fares loaded yet on transcon D1 routes.
And I suspect it could still be some time before that happens, perhaps after a sufficient number of the new 3 class A321neos are in service. Right now I don’t think there’s enough equipment flying the transcons with a PS cabin to reliably sell it. And the 76Ls are mostly going to be flying JFK-LAX until they retire.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 3:43 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I enjoy the C+ upgrades going into PS seats on equipped transcons right now. Seems pretty clear where DL is going though once they have enough aircraft with a 3 class cabin - I suppose I should enjoy it while it still lasts!
Old Jan 6, 2024, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would disagree that this is 'good news'. It means, as was discussed in previous threads, that once DL rolls out domestic PS upgrades will become more difficult and certs won't get you into D1 from Y any more unless there is a seat open at the gate (rare) since you'd have to be in PS first.
Currently if a tcon equipment has PS seats, then a DM/PM upgrade at booking will let you select those seats and you can also use a RUC to get into D1 or comp upgrade to D1 at T-24. Once they start selling this as a new cabin option, I'd expect that to go away or only be good for a 1 cabin upgrade just like international GUC.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:29 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
I would disagree that this is 'good news'. It means, as was discussed in previous threads, that once DL rolls out domestic PS upgrades will become more difficult and certs won't get you into D1 from Y any more unless there is a seat open at the gate (rare) since you'd have to be in PS first.
Currently if a tcon equipment has PS seats, then a DM/PM upgrade at booking will let you select those seats and you can also use a RUC to get into D1 or comp upgrade to D1 at T-24. Once they start selling this as a new cabin option, I'd expect that to go away or only be good for a 1 cabin upgrade just like international GUC.
Since they already do this for Hawaii routes, your expectations are correct. RUCs for domestic flights are good for a one cabin upgrade (MC to PS, PS to D1). And just like GUCs, an RUC upgrade into PS is eligible for D1 on day of departure (at a higher priority than non-cert upgrades).
hhdl and awonderer like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Are there only going to be PS seats on the widebody transcons, or are they putting them in the A321s as well?
Old Jan 19, 2024, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krypttohk
Are there only going to be PS seats on the widebody transcons, or are they putting them in the A321s as well?
A321neos with Delta One Suites Supposedly Arriving in Q3 2024
Old Jan 20, 2024, 6:37 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
At least we won't have to worry about middle seats on those. Will be curious to see prices and upgrade chances after this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: DL,US
I think eventually DL will be more like the UA model on JFK-LAX- flying a mix of "nicely equipped" narrow bodies at lower demand times and going up to A350 levels when demand warrants, rather than the mostly 76L most of the time model they have now.

There are a lot of transcons that go out with 20-40 empty seats, and a lot with 20-40 standbys left behind- indicating that they really need more variation in equipment to capture all the demand without inefficiency.

I have no idea if they carry a lot of cargo today in the 763s, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.