Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Checking Bags Early Morning at AMS for Mid-Afternoon Flight to US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2023, 11:35 pm
hb1
Original Poster

I have a 3pm DL flight from AMS to the US and am staying overnight at the airport. I would like to visit the city on the day of departure without worrying about getting back to the airport extra early to check bags and deal with any boarding pass issues. Is it possible to check and drop bags early in the morning (ideally at 7:30am) for a 3pm departure, so that all I need to do in the afternoon is clear security and passport control? How? If it matters, I am a DL plat travelling in C+.
Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 4:11 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
That's no problem. The KLM desks are open between 04:30 AM and 10:00 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
In addition, there is a very convenient luggage storage service at AMS - you can park your carry-on there and wander into Amsterdam empty-handed.
it is located an elevator ride down from the SkyPriority check-in desks

When going back for your flight there is priority security lane, located behind the sky priority check-in desks.
The passport control line has no privileges for ST Elite +
Synapseturquoise likes this.

Last edited by Firstboss; Jan 1, 2024 at 9:29 am
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:33 am
hb1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grouchy
That's no problem. The KLM desks are open between 04:30 AM and 10:00 PM.
Thanks -- does this mean that I can check-in at any KLM priority desk, even if I am flying Delta? I had thought that I needed to check-in at a designated Delta counter.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Yes, KLM handles all Delta flights at AMS.You can find the SkyPriority area (desks 9, 10, and 11) in departure hall 2.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by hb1
Thanks -- does this mean that I can check-in at any KLM priority desk, even if I am flying Delta? I had thought that I needed to check-in at a designated Delta counter.
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Yes, KLM handles all Delta flights at AMS.You can find the SkyPriority area (desks 9, 10, and 11) in departure hall 2.
This is absolutely correct.

For those who are unaware, basically ever since the inception of the KLM / Northwest Airlines trans-Atlantic joint venture in 1989, all DL flights departing AMS and CDG are handled by KLM/AF. For AMS departures, check-in with KLM. For CDG departures, check-in with AF.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
This is absolutely correct.

For those who are unaware, basically ever since the inception of the KLM / Northwest Airlines trans-Atlantic joint venture in 1989, all DL flights departing AMS and CDG are handled by KLM/AF. For AMS departures, check-in with KLM. For CDG departures, check-in with AF.
Even more than these two, the other Skyteam airlines check-in desks (and priority desks) process Delta flights from check-in to lost luggage. In Madrid it's Air Europa, China Airlines in Taiwan, Aeroflot in Russia (when it was in Skyteam), and LatAm non-Skyteam partner in South America
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I'm not sure anyone answered the OP's precise question, which was how many hours in advance of the flight departure can you check bags at KLM in AMS?

I flew AMS-BOS-CLE in May and had a checked bag. My flight departed around 1445; I arrived at AMS around 1100, went to the Sky Priority check-in area and checked my one suitcase. The set up at AMS is that you wait in a line to be admitted to the check-in area, two KLM employees were guarding the entrance to the check-in area; I showed them my passport and my BP on my Iphone and they admitted me to the area. After dropping off the bag and getting a claim check, I then proceeded to the security entrance (to get the expedited security at AMS you have to go through the entrance in the Sky Priority area. You then have to place your BP on top of the gate to get to security.

So the real question, in addition to how early can you show up, is whether once you check your bag you can leave the area and go into Amsterdam, or whether you are compelled to go through security. Sitting here, I don't know the answer.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:44 pm

After check-in at AMS Skypriority area you can go in any direction and live your life, you are not restricted to go to security. In fact, you have to make an active effort and prove your eligibility to ride the priority security escalator.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
I would just be concerned dropping bags >2 or 3 hours before a flight in a super hub like ATL or AMS.
I've seen firsthand - and heard when I toured ATL - that bags which are lost in the airport are transfers long before connecting flight or people dropping really far in advance.

IMHO I'd use a baggage storage service instead.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:35 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Firstboss
IThe passport control line has no privileges for ST Elite +
While there is no SkyPriority line for Passport Control, US Passport holders can use the eGates on departure.

AMS is also one giant terminal divided into Schengen and non-Schengen sides. If you wanted to, you could use a security checkpoint to enter the Schengen side and then proceed through Passport Control later. Otherwise, some of the checkpoints feed right to Passport Control.
donkeydork and Firstboss like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:51 am

OP both the Sheraton and Hilton will also hold bags at Schiphol. Done it plenty of times, though your original plan is probably best. Walk down to the big red sky priority arch, check in, then take the train to Central.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by donkeydork
OP both the Sheraton and Hilton will also hold bags at Schiphol. Done it plenty of times, though your original plan is probably best. Walk down to the big red sky priority arch, check in, then take the train to Central.
* Centraal
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Originally Posted by ND76
(to get the expedited security at AMS you have to go through the entrance in the Sky Priority area. You then have to place your BP on top of the gate to get to security.
Just a caution: Delta paper boarding passes have a hard time "unlocking" that gate to expedited security (same goes for self-service scanners at Crown Lounge entrances at AMS), and there are no humans around to lend assistance. I have encountered this when traveling US-AMS-XXX with a long layover during which I departed the airport. I am not sure if the gate now accepts boarding passes on phones. Status passengers leaving Schiphol Airport during a long layover may wish to stop at a self-serve transfer kiosk to get a KLM-printed copy of their boarding pass for the AMS-XXX flight.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 12:50 am

Programs: VS Flying Club, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Firstboss
Even more than these two, the other Skyteam airlines check-in desks (and priority desks) process Delta flights from check-in to lost luggage. In Madrid it's Air Europa, China Airlines in Taiwan, Aeroflot in Russia (when it was in Skyteam), and LatAm non-Skyteam partner in South America
In London Heathrow , Virgin Atlantic handles DL flights from check-in, etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.