Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Million miler question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2023, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: FF account on all airlines, DM. All hotel accounts, Hilton Diamond.
Million miler question

Gang

I am a MM'er (almost 2 MM) but rarely fly much these days. Fri Dec 22, I flew OMA-CPH to see my son for Christmas, first time flying since last year.

I could've swore MM'er got Lifetime Gold status, but my account and boarding passes only say Silver. Did that change from Gold to Silver or am I misremembering the original Lifetime status. Either way it's nice, Silver still lets me avoid baggage fees. But, I could have swore it was Gold for life.

BTW, just ranting here: CDG is still the worst airport in the world. There was sooooo much construction I find it hard to believe they will have it 100% functional for the 2024 Olympics. Everytime I come visit my son in CPH I will pay extra to go through AMS. I hope CDG uses some of that Olympic funding to buy some signs that can accurately tell a passenger which way to go. M2, F2? In the 150+ times I've come to CPH to see my son, I've gone through Paris maybe 20 of them and each time is worse than the last. And now with the construction, it's beyond brutal.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 4:27 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
No, 1MM was always "Silver", 2MM got you "gold". This will change on february 1st 2024 when 1MM will become "Gold" and 2MM "Platinum".
As bad as CDG is, naming it the worst airport in the world shows that you haven't travelled THAT much. You should try Cairo next time....
Hillhouse, indufan, hhdl and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: FF account on all airlines, DM. All hotel accounts, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
No, 1MM was always "Silver", 2MM got you "gold". This will change on february 1st 2024 when 1MM will become "Gold" and 2MM "Platinum".
As bad as CDG is, naming it the worst airport in the world shows that you haven't travelled THAT much. You should try Cairo next time....
Well, if Cairo is worse, then I don't wanna see it. lol. With the Feb 1 change for 1MM to be Gold, I wonder if that will be retroactive. In other words, I wonder if I'll get Gold or if I'll stay at Silver since that's what the policy was when I became MM. Considering how little I seem to travel these days I guess it doesn't matter.

Maybe I was confusing the Lifetime Gold with when I would "gift" someone Gold when becoming Platinum and Diamond. Who knows? Anyway, thank you for the quick answer.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 5:49 am

Programs: DL DM
Yes, you will move up to ANNUAL Gold on February 1. Remember it is annual so that Delta can at some point decide this is not longer going to continue.
busdriver11 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:34 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Calling CDG the worst in the world is hilarious. Agree CAI isnt great but try DEL at 3am, NBO or EBB after 12am.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
The only really bad thing about CDG (other than its sheer size) is that the French make pax on flights from the USA go through security as a part of changing planes, even though they don't have access to checked bags; in other words, no real reason to do this other than security theater. The Dutch don't make USA originating pax do this at AMS, and AF and KLM are owned by the same company.

When I used to travel from IAD to NCL and EDI, I found that CDG was actually a very easy airport to make the connection (other than having to be forced to go through security). The gate for those flights (a bus gate) was very close to the staircase/elevator to the AF Salon, which in turn was pretty close to the security exit, in what is now called concourse K (the original terminal there which looked somewhat like the inside of a Washington Metro station).
busdriver11, lsquare and Spiff like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:56 am

CDG is a dump for sure.

But the first time I flew into PNQ there were chickens running around just inside the baggage claim.

We probably need some criteria for worst airport. Is this most disorganized? or slowest? in honor of CDG is it most apathetic?
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ND76
The only really bad thing about CDG (other than its sheer size) is that the French make pax on flights from the USA go through security as a part of changing planes, even though they don't have access to checked bags; in other words, no real reason to do this other than security theater. The Dutch don't make USA originating pax do this at AMS, and AF and KLM are owned by the same company.
A lot of airports across Europe have security for connecting pax, regardless of origin. The number of airports (in the world) without security for clean nation of origin is small.

CDG is okay. Objectively, there are a lot of worse airports.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
CDG does allow pax from the US to not go through security, as long as the flight arrives at the right gates and the proper doors are opened. DL metal flights do not arrive at the appropriate gates (all of which are L gates, which DL doesn't use), but a substantial proportion of AF flights from the US do.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
CDG is confusing. Signage is poor, at best, for connections (esp Int'l) Do I think it's terrible, no. The new AF club is actually super nice. It's the only airport I've ever been to where my plane got put nose to nose with another widebody on a far away taxiway...that was fun (it was foggy, but that should still never happen). Took an hour to get a pushback out there to move the other aircraft out of the way so we could hit a crossover. They never told us what happened...I only noticed because tuned my IFE to the forward looking camera...and they eventually cut the feed off. But not before I could grab a pic

And they're both Schengen Agreement members... I wonder if this is because other airlines use the same terminals where US flights arrive? In that case, they may have no choice. I think AMS has all the US arrivals in one concourse.
DrMilano, lsquare and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by hhdl
CDG does allow pax from the US to not go through security, as long as the flight arrives at the right gates and the proper doors are opened. DL metal flights do not arrive at the appropriate gates (all of which are L gates, which DL doesn't use), but a substantial proportion of AF flights from the US do.
Ah, you answered my question! (I started my post, got into something else, and then came back).
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
We probably need some criteria for worst airport. Is this most disorganized? or slowest? in honor of CDG is it most apathetic?
Poorest layout award goes to MAN with virtually any other UK airport as a runner-up. Arriving on an international flight at T2 and connecting to domestic/regional at T3, the sequence entails a substantial walk (of course) past the Raddison Blu to the train station, hang a right, substantial walk again to T1, through the T1 parking garage, down an elevator, out the backside of the parking garage, around an office park and then on to T3.
beachmouse, hhdl and uanj like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:21 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
On a completely OT/Irrelevant note…

The new IST is a seriously cool airport. Only issue is it can be a HAUL to get from gate-to-gate or from gate to exit. It feels every but of a mile walk.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 11:42 pm

And the USA almost invariably makes people TRANSITING between international flights enter the country through immigration/customs etc... perfection is hard to find!
BER Flyer, lsquare and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD
It's the only airport I've ever been to where my plane got put nose to nose with another widebody on a far away taxiway...that was fun (it was foggy, but that should still never happen). .
You never took a wrong turn when driving a car? Not even in dense fog?
lsquare and hhdl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.