Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrades not available for Diamond, but paid upgrades for Silver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2023, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Long term lurker, first time poster. Unfortunately I cannot post photos because I haven't posted 5 times.

We're within the 5 day upgrade period. My wife and I are traveling on the same itinerary. I am Diamond, she is just a general Skymiles member. There are 8 first class seats available. Each seat is X'd out. My sister, who is on the same flight, is a Silver Medallion member. She has the option to purchase an upgrade.

Are there any reasons that an upgrade is not available for me as a Diamond Medallion member but available to Silver?
Old Dec 17, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
This is the new normal. Delta would rather sell an upgrade for $50 than give one out to a top tier elite member. The reason you may not be getting the same paid upgrade offer as your sister may be because your reservation has two people. They may only be looking to sell one paid upgrade at the price they are offering.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 3:31 pm

As noted above, having two people on your PNR might not allow the upgrade offer.

As for offering paid upgrades rather than comp ones, that makes total sense from revenue management perspective. Why give something for free to someone who is already a brand captive when you can sell it to someone willing to pay for it?

I know a lot of casual delta flyers who splurge on the occasional upgrade to first class—many not realizing that the total cost of the ticket sometimes exceeds what buying first class in the first place would have cost.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
This is the new normal. Delta would rather sell an upgrade for $50 than give one out to a top tier elite member. The reason you may not be getting the same paid upgrade offer as your sister may be because your reservation has two people. They may only be looking to sell one paid upgrade at the price they are offering.
I'm not sure how new it is...but that an airline rather sell an upgrade to someone rather than give it for free isn't particularly notable
Old Dec 17, 2023, 5:56 pm

"company prefers to sell product rather than give it away, film at 11"
DLASflyer, Adam1222, ffI and 13 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Upgrades at the window not happening while seats are open is a complaint that goes all the way back to Randy P. making this website.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I understand from a revenue perspective how it makes sense to open up cheaper, paid upgrades. But it is curious to me that the paid upgrades aren't available to me at all.

Perhaps they are only selling one seat and the companion ticket is the issue.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Festive1512
Thanks all. I understand from a revenue perspective how it makes sense to open up cheaper, paid upgrades. But it is curious to me that the paid upgrades aren't available to me at all.

The paid upgrade offers (FCM) require upgrading everyone on the same reservation. You can't just pay for one passenger to be upgraded. So that may be inhibiting offer if they are only will to sell one upgrade seat. Also, if you do not have wife's Skymiles number on reservation, that will inhibit comp upgrades (and may cause them to not offer upgrade for sale). Also, you didn't mention route. International Delta One routes are not eligible for comp upgrades for Medallions.
zeke3, obscure2k and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, ANA Mileage Club
Well said….
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Paid upgrades are still a bit of a mysterious cat-and-mouse game. Sometimes they are offered, sometimes not. Sometimes expensive, sometimes not. One still gets the feeling that they are probing and probing to create profiles on what it takes to get someone to pull the trigger.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If it any consolation, it’s the same on UA + AA
hhdl and fotographer like this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Hi all,

Long term lurker, first time poster. Unfortunately I cannot post photos because I haven't posted 5 times.

We're within the 5 day upgrade period. My wife and I are traveling on the same itinerary. I am Diamond, she is just a general Skymiles member. There are 8 first class seats available. Each seat is X'd out. My sister, who is on the same flight, is a Silver Medallion member. She has the option to purchase an upgrade.

Are there any reasons that an upgrade is not available for me as a Diamond Medallion member but available to Silver?
Welcome to Flyertalk Festive1512 and the Delta Forum.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Are you in C+? If C+ is full, all remaining F seats will show as blocked. (I'm not sure why, seems to be some sort of IT limitation.)

If you move yourself back to Main Cabin, paid upgrades to F should appear, assuming there are at least 2 seats left for sale.
ffI, findark and dburns like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

I've come across this multiple times. If seats are available on day of departure then I get the upgrade but selling upgrades at the 5 day mark is not something that is new.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I'm not sure how new it is...but that an airline rather sell an upgrade to someone rather than give it for free isn't particularly notable
Correct. UA has been doing this for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.