Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whose Reserve card to use in 2024?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2023, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Whose Reserve card to use in 2024?

My wife and I both have Delta Reserve Cards. We have used hers in the past mainly for lounge access and the free companion pass. She almost always flies with me so status has not really been a reason for her to have the card. However, in the past when we maxed out the MQMs available on my card, we would start to use hers and then transfer what she earned to me.

I will be able to roll over 3 years of platinum status in 2024 when we exchange MQMs for status extension. Am I correct that any spending on my card will not extend my status for those 3 years? If so, am I also correct that the only real benefit for spending on my card would be to get unlimited lounge access and any SkyMiles to use for flying? If that is the case, I am thinking that it may be best to use her card for the next few years and get her platinum status for whatever small benefit that may give in our situation?

Thanks for any thoughts on this
Old Dec 15, 2023, 1:13 pm

All of your thinking is correct. Since MQDs will continue to reset every year with no rollover, the only benefit you'd see (outside of unlimited Sky Club access at $75k) is if you happened to spend your way up to Diamond.

The only benefit your wife would see if she spent enough to earn her own status is having it if/when she flies without you. It makes no difference if she has status or not when flying with you.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 7:18 pm

We always found those MQMs valuable, but yes, next year you don’t get them.

Here is what we recently did. Me and my husband earned DM next year and will use the excess MQMs to extend status a year or two. We both had Reserve cards. We don’t fly all the time any more, though we do like our status.

My Reserve card just came up for renewal, and they only offered me 7500 miles as a retention bonus, just terrible, especially since I’ve spent probably 250-300K on that card. So I cancelled. Our son, who is a PM and does fly a fair amount, got himself a new Reserve card with a large bonus.

Next year, instead of putting a ton of expenses on three Amex Delta cards, we’ll put most of them on his, so perhaps he can make DM. Maybe consider cancelling your wife’s Reserve card, because what does it do for her except give her club visits? You would still get two guest passes, plus she might be able to use any passes she still has for herself after cancellation (just a guess on that). Then you can put your spend just on your card, add up your travel, $2500 for each Amex Delta card you have, and perhaps you’ll make DM. If you spend big bucks on your Reserve card, it’s amazing how the MQDs add up. May as well have one person make DM and not spend $550/yr just for club access.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 4:39 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
None of them.

There are other, better, options.
hockeystl, HDQDD and emma dog like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 5:39 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
My wife and I each have Reserve Cards which we're retaining since the companion tickets values always exceed the card fee.
We're reducing our spending on the cards to almost $0 and shifting to a number of cash back cards.
I have Lifetime Sky Club and when she's flying alone the visits from her Reserve and AMEX Plat will cover her travels.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Is there a forum here that discusses AmEx benefits vs cash back cards? This seems like something the math would be very clear on, depending on your spending/flying habits.

For me, the elimination of MQMs may change my calculus on Delta and American Express. I may very well do better just buying the seats I want, depending on the route.

I've been diamond the last few years, but don't have MQMs stashed to maintain that.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Is there a forum here that discusses AmEx benefits vs cash back cards? This seems like something the math would be very clear on, depending on your spending/flying habits.

For me, the elimination of MQMs may change my calculus on Delta and American Express. I may very well do better just buying the seats I want, depending on the route.

I've been diamond the last few years, but don't have MQMs stashed to maintain that.
The math is rarely simple when comparing travel cards. For a true analysis you need individualized spend and wallet profile of any particular person.

What is simple: if you aren't going to hit 75k in purchases, there is no scenario in which the Reserve card is better to use than 2x cash back or similar cards (and amex plat for flights), except, potentially, if you have amex offers on the reserve card that you don't have on others. (Ignoring any card benefits such as return protection and extended warranty that can be obtained with other 2x cards)
emma dog and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I agree with @jetsfan92588 with one addition. Using the Amex reserve in 2024 if you are within a reasonable 10x spend of the next mqm level.

Extreme simple example: 28k mqm for diamond = $280,000 spend. The 1% difference = $2,800 you could have received in cash back elsewhere. If you aren’t flying enough for your mqms to be closer, you’d be better off with $2,800 (really $5,600) in your pocket and use that for upgrades.. or anything else.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 8:57 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
They just changed MQM to MQD - really nothing much changed.
If you used your DL Reserve to boost status - say 60k MQM by 120k spend, next year you will get 12k MQD+2500
= 14500 MQD before your flying level counts
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Is there a forum here that discusses AmEx benefits vs cash back cards?
This seems like something the math would be very clear on, depending on your spending/flying habits.
For me, the elimination of MQMs may change my calculus on Delta and American Express.
I may very well do better just buying the seats I want, depending on the route.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 11:33 am

To me the only value left in the Reserve with no more MQMs is the annual companion cert and spending $75k for unlimited SC access. Others might find value in the 2500 MQD boost but this same benefit is also available on the DL Amex Platinum card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.