Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One-way's to and from Asia - bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2023, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
One-way's to and from Asia - bad idea?

So in the continued saga of getting flights to/from Japan, we're looking at one-way tickets each way.
Have others done this?
Bad idea?

The reasoning is that 1) WestJet doesn't code-share where we want to go, and 2) Delta is 2-3x the price if we book on 006 card stock.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Not a bad idea at all. People do it all the time. Really no down side.

Just be sure to have a copy of your return itinerary when you check in for the departure flight, as you may need to show it.
Duke787, lindros2, dw and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 10:58 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've done it before (UA EWR-NRT) and (DL NRT-DTW-EWR) a few years ago on award tickets without any issue. I'm flying HND-DTW-LGA next month on a one-way revenue ticket next month.
lindros2 and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Just know that DL will not let you do online check in for an int'l flight unless you have a RT. Kind of annoying, but you just go to the counter.

(Don't seem to have this issue with other airlines)
lindros2 and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Not a bad idea at all. People do it all the time. Really no down side.

Just be sure to have a copy of your return itinerary when you check in for the departure flight, as you may need to show it.
This. And not just for check-in, it's highly likely you'll need to show documented proof of your departure flight to at customs and immigration at your destination. I've done this a number of times with award flights, typically when I am using awards from different airlines (e.g., DL/KE on the outbound and NH/UA on the return).

A couple of additional notes, ex-Asia tickets at times can be significantly cheaper and in many instances two one-ways is going to be more expensive than a roundtrip.

Places like BKK and CGK come to mind as options which cheaper one-ways (check the MR forum) but I've also gotten good one-way deals ex-ICN on DL/KE (and others). You could also look at doing one way as an award and then paid for the return.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 12:15 pm

Done two one ways to/from APAC a few times because it was cheaper to do two one ways than a single roundtrip, especially when I have been on a multicity itinerary. Always have a printed copy of your return itinerary. I think I have had to check in at the counter every time and present the copy of the return ticket to the check in agent. Never had to show it at customs though. You can definitively do this without any worry,
Old Dec 13, 2023, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Thank you all !!!!
(re: confirming the help, bringing itinerary to prove return date, no online check-in/OLCI, and booking in-Asia travel)
In related news, United Premium Econ LAX <> Japan is a screaming deal, compared with DL.
New(er) planes too.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by The Situation
Done two one ways to/from APAC a few times because it was cheaper to do two one ways than a single roundtrip, especially when I have been on a multicity itinerary. Always have a printed copy of your return itinerary. I think I have had to check in at the counter every time and present the copy of the return ticket to the check in agent. Never had to show it at customs though. You can definitively do this without any worry,
What exactly is the purpose of this? If you have a 90/180 day visa, can't you spend a week to see if you like the place and want to stay longer? Who's stopping anyone from purchasing a refundable ticket and canceling it the moment they're out of the airport?
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I always book one way tickets unless the rt discount is substantial. But I say that Japan can be real sticklers about onward tickets. For example I'm flying HND ORD today and I'm pretty sure that JL only has one flight, I didn't know the flight number. Big hassle.

Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Just know that DL will not let you do online check in for an int'l flight unless you have a RT. Kind of annoying, but you just go to the counter.
(Don't seem to have this issue with other airlines)
Flew DL on DEN-JFK-YUL last week. I was able to OLCI and get boarding passes for both legs but the DEN GA called me to podium to verify my return (AC) flight.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
What exactly is the purpose of this? If you have a 90/180 day visa, can't you spend a week to see if you like the place and want to stay longer? Who's stopping anyone from purchasing a refundable ticket and canceling it the moment they're out of the airport?
My guess is that by having a return ticket, one is less likely to overstay their visa. Most people don't want to lose the value of their ticket unless they are very motivated. Some countries also require you to show that you have the means (sufficient funds) to support yourself while in the country. If someone cannot afford their return ticket, they would have to overstay their visa.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 5:10 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Talking

Does the DEN DL gate agent not know who SFO777 is?
Originally Posted by SFO777
Flew DL on DEN-JFK-YUL last week. I was able to OLCI and get boarding passes for both legs but the DEN GA called me to podium to verify my return (AC) flight.
SFO777 and DCAhome like this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 5:12 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
In India without the printed copy I have had trouble getting past security in the past but now they seem to allow phones as well as WhatsApp messages.
Originally Posted by The Situation
Old Dec 13, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I did BOS-DTW-MNL several years ago as a OW. Before I could get my BPs in Boston, I had to show my return reservation which was also on DL.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
In India without the printed copy I have had trouble getting past security in the past but now they seem to allow phones as well as WhatsApp messages.
They used to not let you into the airport without a printed ticket. I was last there in 2008, so I imagine smartphones are more prevalent now.
chollie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.