One-way's to and from Asia - bad idea?

Old Dec 13, 2023, 10:47 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Posts: 1,536
One-way's to and from Asia - bad idea?

So in the continued saga of getting flights to/from Japan, we're looking at one-way tickets each way.
Have others done this?
Bad idea?

The reasoning is that 1) WestJet doesn't code-share where we want to go, and 2) Delta is 2-3x the price if we book on 006 card stock.
lindros2 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 10:50 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Midwest USA
Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Posts: 1,969
Not a bad idea at all. People do it all the time. Really no down side.

Just be sure to have a copy of your return itinerary when you check in for the departure flight, as you may need to show it.
Duke787, lindros2, dw and 3 others like this.
nachosdelux is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 10:58 am
  #3  
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ka ʻĀpala Nui, Nuioka
Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Posts: 18,020
I've done it before (UA EWR-NRT) and (DL NRT-DTW-EWR) a few years ago on award tickets without any issue. I'm flying HND-DTW-LGA next month on a one-way revenue ticket next month.
lindros2 and lsquare like this.
FlyinHawaiian is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 11:15 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Posts: 4,244
Just know that DL will not let you do online check in for an int'l flight unless you have a RT. Kind of annoying, but you just go to the counter.

(Don't seem to have this issue with other airlines)
lindros2 and becks1 like this.
FlyAO2 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 11:42 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,130
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Not a bad idea at all. People do it all the time. Really no down side.

Just be sure to have a copy of your return itinerary when you check in for the departure flight, as you may need to show it.
This. And not just for check-in, it's highly likely you'll need to show documented proof of your departure flight to at customs and immigration at your destination. I've done this a number of times with award flights, typically when I am using awards from different airlines (e.g., DL/KE on the outbound and NH/UA on the return).

A couple of additional notes, ex-Asia tickets at times can be significantly cheaper and in many instances two one-ways is going to be more expensive than a roundtrip.

Places like BKK and CGK come to mind as options which cheaper one-ways (check the MR forum) but I've also gotten good one-way deals ex-ICN on DL/KE (and others). You could also look at doing one way as an award and then paid for the return.
Duke787 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 12:15 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,877
Done two one ways to/from APAC a few times because it was cheaper to do two one ways than a single roundtrip, especially when I have been on a multicity itinerary. Always have a printed copy of your return itinerary. I think I have had to check in at the counter every time and present the copy of the return ticket to the check in agent. Never had to show it at customs though. You can definitively do this without any worry,
The Situation is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 12:35 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Posts: 1,536
Thank you all !!!!
(re: confirming the help, bringing itinerary to prove return date, no online check-in/OLCI, and booking in-Asia travel)
In related news, United Premium Econ LAX <> Japan is a screaming deal, compared with DL.
New(er) planes too.
lindros2 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:20 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 848
Originally Posted by The Situation
Done two one ways to/from APAC a few times because it was cheaper to do two one ways than a single roundtrip, especially when I have been on a multicity itinerary. Always have a printed copy of your return itinerary. I think I have had to check in at the counter every time and present the copy of the return ticket to the check in agent. Never had to show it at customs though. You can definitively do this without any worry,
What exactly is the purpose of this? If you have a 90/180 day visa, can't you spend a week to see if you like the place and want to stay longer? Who's stopping anyone from purchasing a refundable ticket and canceling it the moment they're out of the airport?
matchbox20_is is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:22 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 41,949
I always book one way tickets unless the rt discount is substantial. But I say that Japan can be real sticklers about onward tickets. For example I'm flying HND ORD today and I'm pretty sure that JL only has one flight, I didn't know the flight number. Big hassle.



moondog is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:23 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver DEN-APA
Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 21,559
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Just know that DL will not let you do online check in for an int'l flight unless you have a RT. Kind of annoying, but you just go to the counter.
(Don't seem to have this issue with other airlines)
Flew DL on DEN-JFK-YUL last week. I was able to OLCI and get boarding passes for both legs but the DEN GA called me to podium to verify my return (AC) flight.
SFO777 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:55 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,877
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
What exactly is the purpose of this? If you have a 90/180 day visa, can't you spend a week to see if you like the place and want to stay longer? Who's stopping anyone from purchasing a refundable ticket and canceling it the moment they're out of the airport?
My guess is that by having a return ticket, one is less likely to overstay their visa. Most people don't want to lose the value of their ticket unless they are very motivated. Some countries also require you to show that you have the means (sufficient funds) to support yourself while in the country. If someone cannot afford their return ticket, they would have to overstay their visa.
The Situation is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 5:10 pm
  #12  
ffI
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WAS
Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Posts: 4,595
Talking

Does the DEN DL gate agent not know who SFO777 is?
Originally Posted by SFO777
Flew DL on DEN-JFK-YUL last week. I was able to OLCI and get boarding passes for both legs but the DEN GA called me to podium to verify my return (AC) flight.
SFO777 and DCAhome like this.
ffI is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 5:12 pm
  #13  
ffI
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WAS
Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Posts: 4,595
In India without the printed copy I have had trouble getting past security in the past but now they seem to allow phones as well as WhatsApp messages.
Originally Posted by The Situation
Done two one ways to/from APAC a few times because it was cheaper to do two one ways than a single roundtrip, especially when I have been on a multicity itinerary. Always have a printed copy of your return itinerary. I think I have had to check in at the counter every time and present the copy of the return ticket to the check in agent. Never had to show it at customs though. You can definitively do this without any worry,
ffI is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 6:06 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Posts: 8,906
I did BOS-DTW-MNL several years ago as a OW. Before I could get my BPs in Boston, I had to show my return reservation which was also on DL.
RobertS975 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2023, 6:27 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 309
Originally Posted by ffI
In India without the printed copy I have had trouble getting past security in the past but now they seem to allow phones as well as WhatsApp messages.
They used to not let you into the airport without a printed ticket. I was last there in 2008, so I imagine smartphones are more prevalent now.
chollie likes this.
zeke3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.