Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has Delta downgraded snack basket availability in C+?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2023, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

1) I flew JFK to JAX on Sunday, regional carrier, E175. I was in C+, and was expecting a pass of the snack basket that was offered to F. Instead, we were offered almonds, chips, cookies, etc, along with standard beverages (alcoholic beverages were offered)

2) on JAX to ATL now (connecting). FAs are only offering abbreviated service on this short flight, so they did the “coffee, water, snacks” thing. I accepted water only. It does not appear the FA in F will walk back to C+ with the snack basket.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/...a-comfort-plus

I will likely be in C+ on ATL to LGA in a bit, so I will see if they will give the snack basket. But it seems like they have gotten rid of it on flights under 900 miles? But JFK to JAX is over 900 miles? I seem to remember generally getting the snack basket on most flights in C+. Seems like a devaluation of C+ happened this year… 😐
Cyndyga likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Yes they have. My last few flights with them on JFK - RDU and RDU - ATL both were the same as your scenario 2.

In the past both received the basket and it was often announced "coffee, water" but if you asked for something they got it for you. Last time I traveled they wouldn't even get me a Diet Coke (morning flight, not looking for alcohol, refuse to drink the on-board coffee) even though they had plenty of time to talk in the galley after finishing "service"
Old Dec 5, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Duke787
Yes they have. My last few flights with them on JFK - RDU and RDU - ATL both were the same as your scenario 2.

In the past both received the basket and it was often announced "coffee, water" but if you asked for something they got it for you. Last time I traveled they wouldn't even get me a Diet Coke (morning flight, not looking for alcohol, refuse to drink the on-board coffee) even though they had plenty of time to talk in the galley after finishing "service"
Very much the same.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Agree with the devaluation of C+, but the pricing is inverted to the current “Premium” service level provided.
dw, spongenotbob and dmarge18 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 2:19 pm

I really had hoped express service would vanish by now. Anyone believe that will change? My wife did ATL-MIA this past weekend (which is longer than the 400 miles supposed to be for express) and the crew still only offered express in Main. Also, I don't understand just the beer/wine in Comfort+, why not add the spirits too? Is it because they don't want to deal with mixers? This "express" service is a joke
fsuj25 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Yep, and don't expect the snack tray to be refilled too much in after a few rows have gone by. If there is something you want that is gone by the time the snack tray get to you, be sure and ask so they know that a replenishment is necessary.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Comfort+: a "premium" cabin on the "premium" airline, but with less service than Southwest on flights <500 miles.
hikouki, ohhleary and Newman55 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DrMilano
Agree with the devaluation of C+, but the pricing is inverted to the current “Premium” service level provided.
Originally Posted by DCflyer1222
I really had hoped express service would vanish by now. Anyone believe that will change? My wife did ATL-MIA this past weekend (which is longer than the 400 miles supposed to be for express) and the crew still only offered express in Main. Also, I don't understand just the beer/wine in Comfort+, why not add the spirits too? Is it because they don't want to deal with mixers? This "express" service is a joke
Agree it's interesting, this is actually one of the factors that makes me fine with giving up PM after next year. C+ used to be a good reason to stick with PM every year because of the service/food/drinks vs. say United E+ and pay whatever economy premium existed. Now C+ / MCE / E+ are all the same and with United, I just need Gold to confirm E+ at booking
manacit likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
I have never gotten the basket on sub 900 mile routes since COVID. JFK-JAX is only 828 miles, that route (along with LGA-JAX) gives me minor annoyances as they're right under the meal threshold for First, but not like it matters there anyway since JAX is a sad box station, ugh.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I did standby for an earlier flight and did main cabin from ATL to LGA and bypassed a confirmed C+ seat… because the snacks and drink service (as long as you have some drink coupons) is the same now. I got the same can of wine and Biscoff cookies in row 20 as I would get in row 10

For me - devaluation of non-MM Diamond, and the devaluation of C+ soft product, are meaningful blows to both Diamond and Platinum
CPMaverick, Duke787 and manacit like this.

Last edited by Adelphos; Dec 5, 2023 at 7:15 pm
Old Dec 5, 2023, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I thought they just did the 'reduced' service on short flights, and are supposed to have a full snack basket for F and C+ on those flights like JFK-JAX since its long enough. But from that link it sure does say you don't get the better basket under 900mi.

On those shorter flights were they announce wine/beer for C+, I've heard some pax request a soda and liquor and the FA obliged and just handed them the mini so the pax could pour their own. Really no reason they can't offer it to C+ anyway when the flight is ~1hr in the air.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

All of the various rules in terms of flight length, mainline vs regional (which I suspect has something to do with a lot of this), etc all just emphasize the point that a few years ago, you could be in C+ and expect more leg room, free alcohol and the snack basket. It was all very simple. Now, a lot of this is in question. Just more devaluation. If Diamonds and Platinums are going to generally be in C+ due to elite inflation, this matters a lot
CPMaverick, Ascii, fsuj25 and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 7:40 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
I don’t think DL seems to care about your diminished offerings on such a short flight …and goes to show how it does not really differentiate C+ from main cabin on many flights less than 900 miles, which are many esp from ATL and DTW, save for a measly few extra inches of legroom
Ascii likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
I'm confused; unless it was an exception route, Delta NEVER did a premium snack basket on <900 mile domestic routes. I know this because I fly ALB-ATL (852) constantly and I NEVER get a snack basket in C+.

My understanding is:

500-899
FC: Premium Snack Basket
C+: Regular Snacks, full drinks
MC: Regular Snacks, drink for purchase

900+
FC: Meals (if in meal time), regular snacks, full drinks
C+: Premium Snack Basket, Full drinks
MC: Regular Snacks, drinks for purchase

(this is in addition to anything available for purchase)
Old Dec 5, 2023, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
I'm confused; unless it was an exception route, Delta NEVER did a premium snack basket on <900 mile domestic routes. I know this because I fly ALB-ATL (852) constantly and I NEVER get a snack basket in C+.

My understanding is:

500-899
FC: Premium Snack Basket
C+: Regular Snacks, full drinks
MC: Regular Snacks, drink for purchase

900+
FC: Meals (if in meal time), regular snacks, full drinks
C+: Premium Snack Basket, Full drinks
MC: Regular Snacks, drinks for purchase

(this is in addition to anything available for purchase)
Wasn't sure if I was going crazy, but this was exactly my experience as well. I had said up thread I have never gotten a snack basket in C+ on a sub 900 mile flight since COVID, but come to think of it, I haven't even gotten that ever pre COVID either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.