Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I'm Sucking It Up and Doing A Mileage Run

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2023, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC

I'm currently Platinum with 169K MQM and now on my last trip of the year that will give me another 1500. After the 75k that they will take away on the first of the year, I would be around 5k short of the 100k needed to extend another year. Instead of trying to figure out how I might be able to qualify in 2025 by other ways, I just booked a PHL-ATL-LAX-MSP-PHL flight for next weekend that will earn around 6k and leave me with 101k after they take away the 75k on the first that qualified me for 2024. I will use those 101k MQMs left to extend another year and then become a free agent after that, as I don't foresee anyway of qualifying for anything above Silver with the new qualifiers. I'm paying $489 for the ticket, which I figure is cheaper than any other way that I might need to qualify without MQMs.

Does anyone see a way that I would not qualify another year by doing this? I didn't see any other extension requirements other than using 100k MQM.

Thanks
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you converted your current rollover MQMs to MQD you'd have 9400 MQD to start next year which is close to Gold level. If you qualify for Amex 2500 MQD Boost, you'd start 2024 with 11,900 MQD and only need another 3100 MQD to requal for Plat for 2025.
busdriver11, findark and pbjag like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I agree with @xliioper. Just proposing an alternative scenario for grins.

PLT doesn't get a lot of upgrades. Save your $489 and use it for C+ upgrades. Convert your 95k MQM to 47.5k Redeemable miles at 2:1. Use those miles for some more C+ upgrades and some F upgrades... Carry two amex cards, fly some, and charge some on the amex cards to get yourself gold.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:33 am

Do the MR. PM for all of 2025 is worth $489 now.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:39 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
But then all of next years mqds are a waste.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 12:39 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by emma dog
But then all of next years mqds are a waste.
If he uses up extra 100k for 1 more yr of PM in 2025, then he will only have 1k MQM left = 100$ MQD
Best to get the extra year now and then worry about MQD in Feb 2026 - then he can get 2 Plat cards = Silver for 600$
Then decide whether to go to Plat with a DR card for spend
Old Dec 2, 2023, 12:45 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I am helping with a MQM run and found that 1 extra yr of DM AND lifetime gold is within reach with a little trip
936k MQM with 60k more expected from gifts and spend gets a family member a step up from 2 yrs of DL Plat at 175 k MQM to 235k MQM and 2 yrs of DM
cost of spend = 6000$ less 3000 (for 250k miles) less lifetime gift 1000$ card - 2 yrs of 500$ Amex credits
= about 1000$ max for 2 yrs of better upgrades and 2 yrs of 2 GM and 8 GUCs over 2 yrs
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
500$ for 1 yr PM is not as great as 1 yr of DM but well worth it overall
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:05 am

Programs: DL DM
Another vote for doing the mileage run. I’d say $489 is perfectly acceptable for securing PM an additional year. Enjoy the trip!
Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well again, OP would only need about 3100 MQD to earn Plat for 2025 with MQD conversion. Between some credit card spend and flight spend, it doesn't seem like that would be much of a challenge.
emma dog likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xliioper
If you converted your current rollover MQMs to MQD you'd have 9400 MQD to start next year which is close to Gold level. If you qualify for Amex 2500 MQD Boost, you'd start 2024 with 11,900 MQD and only need another 3100 MQD to requal for Plat for 2025.
Originally Posted by xliioper
Well again, OP would only need about 3100 MQD to earn Plat for 2025 with MQD conversion. Between some credit card spend and flight spend, it doesn't seem like that would be much of a challenge.
Thanks all for your suggestions. I believe that I am going to do the above, i.e. forgo the trip and shoot for the $3100 needed, as I am sure that I will have no problem earning that amount next year. The out-of-pocket difference for me will actually only be $2600 when I subtract this trip from what I would need, as I would have spent that this year to do my first plan.
busdriver11 and emma dog like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Thanks all for your suggestions. I believe that I am going to do the above, i.e. forgo the trip and shoot for the $3100 needed, as I am sure that I will have no problem earning that amount next year. The out-of-pocket difference for me will actually only be $2600 when I subtract this trip from what I would need, as I would have spent that this year to do my first plan.
On my 2nd mileage run (MR) since the announcement of the MQM/MQD changes with Delta. I have one more MR which will constitute the last of my "cheapest price for the longest distance" MRs that i have done in the past. Have fun with it and enjoy the ride...Dont forget to ask for the new Delta Aircraft Trading cards that they are handing out now. Its been a fun game now asking for the pilots standing at the door of the cockpit at the end of a flight for aircraft trading cards. Just wish i could put them in the spokes of my old Mongoose BMX racer racer like back in the day
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hepsaint
On my 2nd mileage run (MR) since the announcement of the MQM/MQD changes with Delta. I have one more MR which will constitute the last of my "cheapest price for the longest distance" MRs that i have done in the past. Have fun with it and enjoy the ride...Dont forget to ask for the new Delta Aircraft Trading cards that they are handing out now. Its been a fun game now asking for the pilots standing at the door of the cockpit at the end of a flight for aircraft trading cards. Just wish i could put them in the spokes of my old Mongoose BMX racer racer like back in the day
Depending on how many MQD you need next year, getting a second Amex card is probably easist option (if you don't have one already). I did a run for 7400MQM = 740MQD this past weekend and realized it was pretty silly as I can get an extra 2500MQD (now need 1500MQD next year) by just getting a DL Plat Amex to go with Reserve and not having to spend a bunch of seat time in miles (only got an F upgrade on 2 out 6 six segments as a Plat and had to spend one of the flights in a C+ middle seat -- was definitely not much fun).
Hepsaint likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
PM may well be more valuable if you are, like me, living near a non-hub airport and can buy your ticket at least 5 days out. I flew 50 domestic segments in 2023, and used 4 RUCs good for 8 segment UGs, leaving 42 times I was in the UG queue. I got UG'd 30 of those 42 segments, most of which took place at the 5 day window. Where I didn't do well was at the gate; I can remember only 2 UGs this year where I got UG'd 45 minutes prior to departure. I was the bubble boy at least 4 times in 2023.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma dog
Save your $489 and use it for C+ upgrades.
What, 3-4 of them?
arunhn likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ND76
PM may well be more valuable if you are, like me, living near a non-hub airport and can buy your ticket at least 5 days out. I flew 50 domestic segments in 2023, and used 4 RUCs good for 8 segment UGs, leaving 42 times I was in the UG queue. I got UG'd 30 of those 42 segments, most of which took place at the 5 day window. Where I didn't do well was at the gate; I can remember only 2 UGs this year where I got UG'd 45 minutes prior to departure. I was the bubble boy at least 4 times in 2023.
I am impressed that you keep track of all these UG details...really cool!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.