Wiki Posts
Search

Had to Stop Flying DL.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Had to Stop Flying DL.

2MM here. Getting close to 75k MQM this year, which will get me Plat next year but.... With the recent changes to the program, I get Plat automatically as a 2MM so if I fly more this year and hit 75k, it likes throwing away 75k MQM which I could otherwise convert to miles or MQD next year.

.... Or am I missing something?
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:11 pm

If 75k MQMs would get you Platinum (meaning you’ve already met one of the other requirements) then you’re already Gold and will be losing 50k MQMs anyway. So yeah, no reason for you to hit Platinum this year but you’re going to lose some MQMs even if you don’t.
busdriver11 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by DLHubber
If 75k MQMs would get you Platinum (meaning you’ve already met one of the other requirements) then you’re already Gold and will be losing 50k MQMs anyway. So yeah, no reason for you to hit Platinum this year but you’re going to lose some MQMs even if you don’t.
I'm Gold because I'm 2MM. And no MQD requirement because I'm based outside of the U.S. In past years, I think the MQM's rolled over even when I hit 50k.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriot TE, Delta DM, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
To my understanding, even if you get Gold from 2MM, they will still subtract the 50k needed for next year. There is a difference in awarded and earned Gold. I would not count on getting all those extra miles to convert next year. You may find more value in that "last" flight, depending how close to Platinum you are, to be able to have higher upgrade status and choice benefit selection.
DLHubber, hhdl and scklumb like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 4:38 pm

I’m sure they’ll miss you. (Probably not)
hhdl and DrMilano like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I'm not sure how things will shake out with the reorganization, but you might not get Choice Benefits as a 2MM Platinum (if that's important to you).
Keystone likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 7:13 pm

what is dl

is dl delta?
mrcool1122 and Marker like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by kadenf21
is dl delta?
Yes for Delta = DL and also DAL
obscure2k likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
I'm Gold because I'm 2MM. And no MQD requirement because I'm based outside of the U.S. In past years, I think the MQM's rolled over even when I hit 50k.
Definitely not. At least not since 2015 when I started flying enough to earn Delta status. During that time MM status has always gifted Medallion *benefits*, not Medallion *status*. If you are a 2MM who gets "complimentary lifetime Gold" (Plat starting next year), that doesn't remove you from the normal status earning system. If you have complimentary Gold and you earn 25k MQMs during the year, then next year Delta will "deduct" 25k from your rollover MQM balance to "pay" for the Silver that you earned.

Same if you earn 50k MQM. Even though they have gifted you Gold benefits, they will still make you "pay" for earning it by achieving the qualifications.

This seems stupid, but it really makes sense if you think of it in terms of the progression - you still have to earn 75k MQM to get to Platinum, meaning that you have to hit 25k and 50k on your way there. MM status has never been a "head start" toward the next level of status. I'm a 1MM, so I have complimentary Silver this year - they don't give me a 25k head start so that I only need 25k more to get to Gold.

So, do what you need to do, but if you don't get to 75k they will still deduct 50k at the end of the year. And MQMs go away completely next year (for everyone), so there is absolutely no benefit in hoarding them unless you have a big enough stash to either buy additional years of your current status for 100k per year, or if you have a big enough stash to convert them to redeemable miles at a 20 to 1 ratio (I think....might be 10:1, but still)

If it were me, I would push for Platinum, use up the balance (which would go to waste anyway), and enjoy the spend-based system that everyone gets next year.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 5:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
And MQMs go away completely next year (for everyone), so there is absolutely no benefit in hoarding them unless you have a big enough stash to either buy additional years of your current status for 100k per year, or if you have a big enough stash to convert them to redeemable miles at a 20 to 1 ratio (I think....might be 10:1, but still)
It's 10 MQM -> 1 MQD and 2 MQM -> 1 redeemable miles.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:30 am

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
If it were me, I would push for Platinum, use up the balance (which would go to waste anyway), and enjoy the spend-based system that everyone gets next year.
That makes no sense. If they stop at 74K MQM's they will be Plat next year anyway and have 24K MQM's to roll over to MQD or RDM. If they hit 75K they will have 0 MQM's to roll over, why would you do that intentionally?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by GaryDD
That makes no sense. If they stop at 74K MQM's they will be Plat next year anyway and have 24K MQM's to roll over to MQD or RDM. If they hit 75K they will have 0 MQM's to roll over, why would you do that intentionally?
Right. And convert to 12.5k RDM which will get you an upgrade to F on a short flight… which may be the only upgrade you get as a PLT anyway.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by emma dog
Right. And convert to 12.5k RDM which will get you an upgrade to F on a short flight… which may be the only upgrade you get as a PLT anyway.
Can also substitute with DM. With the current F inflight service would not waste the 12.5 k rdm.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:23 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Leaving Delta

Originally Posted by 5khours
2MM here.

.... Or am I missing something?
Delta is a 'good' us domestic carrier, maybe the best. But I left Delta 12 years ago on ALL the Asian international + Latin America flights. (hey they messed up the NWA perks)
Went to UA & HU, with their international hubs and programs. No regrets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.