Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Airports with better pubs than the Sky Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2023, 9:11 am
Original Poster

As 2025 looms and us Reserve carders will be limited in the number of visits, I began thinking about which airports it's OK to skip the Sky Club. We will have to perform some triage on visits where the layover is relatively short. Yes, yes, "food" and drinks are complimentary at the Sky Club, but with limited visits, hard choices will have to be made. A cold pint of beer in a nice environment between flights makes traveling bearable for me.

The first one that comes to mind is ATL Terminal F and Ecco. The bars at most Atlanta Sky Clubs are awful and Ecco feels like a true pub. Same with SAN and Stone Brewing. Maybe Stone Arch at MSP if you don't want to make the long trek to the new Sky Club. What would you add to the list of airport pubs better than the Sky Club?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
This is completely subjective, based on personal taste. Ignoring cost, I think ATL has more than one good place to grab a beer and a snack in every terminal. I don’t like Ecco personally. But I love Grindhouse. OFS has lost allure for me; I think it peaked pre-COVID.

Add in cost. Yesterday in DEN I ate at the Mercantile on priority pass. My family of four ate for the price of the tip and I had a good local brew. The food was better than the skyclub and I got a “better” beer “for free”.

As a road warrior who will also be spending the $75k, I think of the lounge as costing me <$10/visit. So it’s the best deal I can get. However, if I didn’t get the waiver and had the vanilla PLT at $295 ($695 - $200 airline credit - $200 Uber) and 10 visits: $30/visit, I’d be looking elsewhere.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 10:15 am

I too have been very disappointed with the Atlanta clubs. You would think, perhaps I'm wrong, that given its their HQ - they would showcase the best of their product. Instead, clubs at DCA, MCI, and ORD have better staff, facilities, and offerings. Is there any chance...Delta improves their Atlanta offerings post 2025 SkyClub changes?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
The thing about ATL is this… they don’t have to do better since it’s a captive market and the clubs are always full.

I don’t think they’re bad, though. LAX, SEA, and ORD are all incredibly nice. I think ATL B and F are better than the average DL club and on par with BNA. T, E and central A are “average” (like TPA, DCA) and better than MCO or DEN. Then there’s D-12 which rivals JAX for being a dump.
IggySD likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Woah there, JAX might be a dump, but it is our dump :-) Just glad to have a club at all. This isn't about Sky Clubs, it's about great airport pub alternatives. Ideas? Is there one in the new SLC A concourse to avoid the long slog to the current Sky Club?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by pfreet
As 2025 looms and us Reserve carders will be limited in the number of visits, I began thinking about which airports it's OK to skip the Sky Club. We will have to perform some triage on visits where the layover is relatively short. Yes, yes, "food" and drinks are complimentary at the Sky Club, but with limited visits, hard choices will have to be made. A cold pint of beer in a nice environment between flights makes traveling bearable for me.

The first one that comes to mind is ATL Terminal F and Ecco. The bars at most Atlanta Sky Clubs are awful and Ecco feels like a true pub. Same with SAN and Stone Brewing. Maybe Stone Arch at MSP if you don't want to make the long trek to the new Sky Club. What would you add to the list of airport pubs better than the Sky Club?
1000% agree with Ecco.
However, quality has slipped a bit, and they are sloooooooooooow.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
The beer selection at Buffalo Wild Wings at MSP is pretty good
Old Nov 26, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Plenty of better drinking/eating spots in the B Concourse T2 at JFK, including a Buffalo Wild Wings and two Shake Shack locations, and even between the A and B Concourses there are a couple of drinking spots, and at least one more in the A Concourse.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by emma dog
The thing about ATL is this… they don’t have to do better since it’s a captive market and the clubs are always full.

I don’t think they’re bad, though. LAX, SEA, and ORD are all incredibly nice. I think ATL B and F are better than the average DL club and on par with BNA. T, E and central A are “average” (like TPA, DCA) and better than MCO or DEN. Then there’s D-12 which rivals JAX for being a dump.
I don't really like PHL; since you brought up the term dump.
emma dog and WGM like this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by audidudi
B Concourse T2 at JFK,
T2 at JFK?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Nothing worth paying for at DFW E. OP was probably only asking about hubs anyway.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 5:27 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by audidudi
Plenty of better drinking/eating spots in the B Concourse T2 at JFK, including a Buffalo Wild Wings and two Shake Shack locations, and even between the A and B Concourses there are a couple of drinking spots, and at least one more in the A Concourse.
I think if the question is "are any of the JFK F&B options a better place to drink than the SkyClubs" the answer is probably "no, but then then SkyClubs aren't all that great, you probably should just drink in Manhattan before heading to the airport."
Old Nov 26, 2023, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
My favorites are:

ATL - One Flew South in E. I think food-wise it was better Pre-Covid, but still a solid choice. Portion sizes are small and pricey. But drinks wise, excellent cocktails and one of the few places I actually enjoy sitting at the bar. Have had the bartender make me specialties before when I describe what I’m in the mood for. Try a lemon drop, but made with bourbon. Excellent.

SEA - Africa Lounge near A5 has excellent (and strong) cocktails. Food wise it’s very basic and nothing really African about it. Good nachos though if you aren’t watching your sodium intake lol. Skip Beecher’s. It’s the flagship place at SEA and very underwhelming IMO.

MSP - Haven’t really found a place that I particularly enjoy since Ike’s closed (both the mall location and F terminal). Lots of small wine bars scattered throughout so maybe give one of those a try.

ANC - The new 49th state brewing at the entrance of C concourse is outstanding. The king crab wontons are awesome. Great beer selection and always had friendly staff. Avoid Humpys in B by the DL gates. Definitely peaked pre-Covid and now always seems to be closing anytime a flight is scheduled. Silver Gulch in C is so-so. Lousy food, hit or miss cocktails, but really good to-go pizzas. Sushi on the Fly at the far end of C is pretty good too, albeit a tad pricey. Great cocktails too. It’s a bit of a walk from the DL B gates, so be sure and allow time.
Duke787 and dmarge18 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by indufan
T2 at JFK?
Oops…I meant T4 of course!
indufan likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
New bourbon bar with multiple outdoor terraces opening soon ATL terminal E aka Centurion Lounge.

Don’t forget that the ATL SkyClubs have contracted vendors, as T through D have a different vendor than the E&F SkyClubs.
dmarge18 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.