Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking About 2025 Skymiles Right?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2023, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Thinking About 2025 Skymiles Right?

PM for many years, for 2025 could both earn it outright in April 2024 after Amex bonuses are deposited (per Delta) or use 100k MQM to roll it over. This is the case with ZERO activity for me from here on in.

From what I see, if DM is too big of a jump to chase, is there zero benefit for me to use the Delta Amex from now to January 2025, aside from booking with Reserve for upgrade purposes? Nothing rolls over? If you hit your *number*, everything else is for nothing (other than basic skymiles)?

If this is the case, interesting choice to remove incentives to spend.

(I know of the Sky Club benefit but out of 14 trips that I've tried to go to the SC, in at least 5 different airports, only once has it not had a 30min-1hr plus wait. I prioritize spending less time in the airport / connecting over sky club access.)

Thanks for your help!!!
Old Nov 18, 2023, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM
You don't need to use the Reserve card to book tickets. Having the Reserve card just tied to your Sky Miles Account is all you need for the upgrade advantage, which isn't that great anyway. The thing you would get using the Reserve card to purchase tickets it it will count towards the spend requirement.
321go and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 10:16 am

Programs: DL DM
Generally agree with you, OP. Unless you are actively trying to chase a higher status, not a huge incentive to spend on the Reserve card other than just accumulating miles (3x on DL purchases, 1x on everything else). With your earned/extended PM status you be on the upgrade lists, without needing to necessarily book with your DL Reserve card.

For me I’m starting to shift a fair portion of my spend to a Chase card for their reward program. I will still use my DL Amex when it makes sense, but agree a large incentive to spend has been lost.
321go and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 1:53 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, I only have a DL reserve for the 15% off award bookings (have a lifetime SC membership already), got it since I had already gotten all the welcome bonus for Gold ant Plat Amex versions. Rarely use it unless there is a specific AMEX offer only for that card. Will have to see what to do with it when the annual fee hits again. Anyone know if I can use the guest SC pass for a 3rd or 4th person (I get 2 guests with my lifetime SC already)???
Old Nov 21, 2023, 5:33 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
If you do the math, spending on the Reserve card makes as much or more sense in the new program as it did in the old - as long as you are trying it make or increase your status on an annual basis. Spending say $30K on a Reserve gets you the same % towards Gold, Platinum. The weird thing is all of the status rollover Delta is still allowing - elites rolling over extended status now seem to have less incentive to spend. I personally will still be spending on my Reserve next year as I go for Diamond
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
I expect that as we all transition into the new qualification rules from Jan 1 2024, Delta will introduce some incentive to spend for elites with status rolled over beyond 2024.
Otherwise, it doesn’t make any sense for Delta that has the top priority of increasing total AmEx revenue to the record levels (from 7 to 10 bln $).
Or disincentive with limited benefits for the rolled-over status.
Now they created a reality where some of the customers who used to put $250K on AmEx for diamond qualification can have zero spending if their MQM piggy banks were high enough.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
My October statement spend was 11k. My November statement spend was $300 because I forgot to move a monthly bill. My AA citicard spend in November was 16k.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Yeah, I only have a DL reserve for the 15% off award bookings (have a lifetime SC membership already), got it since I had already gotten all the welcome bonus for Gold ant Plat Amex versions. Rarely use it unless there is a specific AMEX offer only for that card. Will have to see what to do with it when the annual fee hits again. Anyone know if I can use the guest SC pass for a 3rd or 4th person (I get 2 guests with my lifetime SC already)???
You can bring #3 & #4 for $ only - no freebies for them

From the DL T&C's
  • Valid Delta Sky Club Membership, qualifying same-day boarding pass or other required credentials. (Only one credential may be used for Club access.)  
FromSky Club Access and Policies for Lifetime Members

Complimentary - Two guests, or immediate family (spouse/domestic partner and children under 21
years of age); plus two additional guests for $50 or 5,000 miles per guest per Club visit. For Grab
and Go guest entries for the two additional guests, the per-visit rate is $25 or 2,500 miles per
guest per visit.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by 321go
PM for many years, for 2025 could both earn it outright in April 2024 after Amex bonuses are deposited (per Delta) or use 100k MQM to roll it over. This is the case with ZERO activity for me from here on in.

From what I see, if DM is too big of a jump to chase, is there zero benefit for me to use the Delta Amex from now to January 2025, aside from booking with Reserve for upgrade purposes? Nothing rolls over? If you hit your *number*, everything else is for nothing (other than basic skymiles)?

If this is the case, interesting choice to remove incentives to spend.

(I know of the Sky Club benefit but out of 14 trips that I've tried to go to the SC, in at least 5 different airports, only once has it not had a 30min-1hr plus wait. I prioritize spending less time in the airport / connecting over sky club access.)

Thanks for your help!!!
You've had a 30+ minute wait for the Skyclub 13 out of 14 times at five different airports? That's incredible.
busdriver11 and DrMilano like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by steveholt
You've had a 30+ minute wait for the Skyclub 13 out of 14 times at five different airports? That's incredible.
More like unbelievable. Sounds like an exaggeration to me. Even the PM queue at the JFK SkyClub (B Concourse) at the busiest time of the day barely takes that long. And he says this happened at 5 different airports…I wonder where these 5 different SkyClubs are located. And I’ve been to almost all of them!
DrMilano and hhdl like this.

Last edited by audidudi; Nov 22, 2023 at 2:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.