Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wishing For An Earlier Flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Wishing For An Earlier Flight

Hello FT,
Currently have a multi city Premium Select ticket (LHR-JAX; ATL-LHR) with the outbound leaving this Saturday afternoon. Ideally though, I'd REALLY like to leave earlier than that if possible. I called in to see how much it'd be to change it and was quoted a $2560 fare difference which was a hard no for me. I know same day changes aren't a thing for international flights like this, but I'm just curious here. I have absolutely nothing going on tomorrow and was wondering if I could get anything better if I just showed up to LHR and see what they could do, or even show up really early Saturday to try and see if there's a possible way to get something earlier than 3:30PM. What are the odds an approach like this has any success? I just feel like worst case scenario they say no which is pretty much where I'm at now so no harm no foul if not.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 12:14 pm

I would track the inbound aircraft on flightaware and see if there is a chance that your original flight might get delayed. That would be your best chance for a change.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 1:13 pm

You might also have luck if your existing flight is oversold. If main cabin or premium select show as sold out, you could try convincing an agent to move you to an earlier flight with available seats.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by zeke3
You might also have luck if your existing flight is oversold. If main cabin or premium select show as sold out, you could try convincing an agent to move you to an earlier flight with available seats.
that isn’t going to happen before flight day , unless they know the flight is severely overbooked which is unlikely
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:59 pm

In your case, the first leg seems to be the international leg. However, I have always wondered why Delta won't allow a SDC to an earlier domestic leg on an international itinerary? It would seem to help Delta because you're far less likely to miss the connection. I am sure there is a good reason, anybody know what that is?
Old Nov 16, 2023, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
pfreet My guess is it has to do with the list of passengers flying into US that airlines are required to submit to the Big Brother in advance to comply with security requirements.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Originally Posted by Firstboss
pfreet My guess is it has to do with the list of passengers flying into US that airlines are required to submit to the Big Brother in advance to comply with security requirements.
But (automatic) reroute in case of irrop to/through a different port of entry has never caused an issue?
Old Nov 16, 2023, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pfreet
In your case, the first leg seems to be the international leg. However, I have always wondered why Delta won't allow a SDC to an earlier domestic leg on an international itinerary? It would seem to help Delta because you're far less likely to miss the connection. I am sure there is a good reason, anybody know what that is?
Revenue protection. SDC domestically does cost them money. Some people were planning on taking the more expensive flight all along with SDC and risk it. Delta has weighed this to be inconsequential enough domestically but not internationally.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
I don’t completely understand the availability of the same fare bucket requirement for SDC.
If one books a cheaper flight with the intention to SDC to a more convenient and more expensive time, that preferred alternative is already in a higher fare class, as displayed during purchase - should it be always unavailable for SDC then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.