Community
Wiki Posts
Search

upgrade to premium select worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

upgrade to premium select worth it ?

currently have Comfort plus booked on a Boston -JFK- HNL flight , the JFK to HNL is 11.5 hrs . Is it worth it to upgrade for for the JFK to Hnl leg for $536 and also would they get the sky priority check in at Logan ? ( It’s one ticket) . it’s for my tall son(6’3”) and shorter DIL 5’4 .
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by 49holding
currently have Comfort plus booked on a Boston -JFK- HNL flight , the JFK to HNL is 11.5 hrs . Is it worth it to upgrade for for the JFK to Hnl leg for $536 and also would they get the sky priority check in at Logan ? ( It’s one ticket) . it’s for my tall son(6’3”) and shorter DIL 5’4 .
If a wider seat would be helpful, then yes. I usually buy up to PS for the extra overall space at *and around* the seat. Think of PS as being similar in size and legroom to a domestic F seat, if you’re unfamiliar.

Is the price you noted for both your son and DIL? If so, jump on that for an 11+ hour flight, in my opinion.

edited to add: I only mentioned PS for the extra space. The food and service will be nothing different than Main, other than all choices of meals will be available in PS before they begin to run out. If you’re thinking of buying only for an upgraded food/service experience, then pass.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
vs a nice exit row seat? No. vs main cabin middle? Yes.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
PS is not worth it. Comfort plus is OK.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 3:28 pm

If they already have two across C+ seats, save the money or upgrade their hotel room instead.
pgh234, DrMilano and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 7:20 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Worth it (sometimes)

We’ve used PS twice on flights to Asia. The additional cost each way was about $350.

For that distance and price it was worth it. The seats are roomier and more comfortable, with greater recline. I was able to sleep considerably better than I can in ComfortPlus.

The WSJ recently had an article on the matter. I liked the comment of the person who said at $30 per hour of flight time extra, it’s worth it. More than that, probably not (for me).

Last edited by Rl 1950; Nov 13, 2023 at 7:24 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Nov 14, 2023, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
PS seats are equivilent to the WBC seats NWA used in the 1990's and until the merger

These PS seats are exactly the same as the NWA World business Class seats with footrests and greater recline, the only difference is the pitch between seats and the updated entertainment system.

RC
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
These PS seats are exactly the same as the NWA World business Class seats with footrests and greater recline, the only difference is the pitch between seats and the updated entertainment system.

RC
and I believe the difference is the pitch between the seats is less so that when the person in front of you reclines, you will not be able to move your legs.

The Delta premium cabin is probably the worst cabin of this type I’ve been in. And of course you get your basic economy service. No you aren’t getting the upgraded meals and you definitely aren’t getting upgraded service. The flight attendant told us they only cater the upgraded meals about a third of the time the rest of the time you just get coach. Until Delta can figure out how to do this right No way I’ll pay.
moondog and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:20 am

RC
Not even close.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by erik123
Not even close.
Agreed. I flew on the NW World Business Class plenty of times on long haul tpac. Those seats were angled lie-flat - so the seat would extend to 180 degrees but be tilted so your head was still up higher than your feet, but at least it went so you could stretch out, and I found it pretty comfortable with the pillow. The DL premium select seats don't come close to going flat and as mentioned there is significantly less pitch so when the pax in front reclines then you can't really move and the display is in your face. Reminds me of F on the 739, or even the A321Neo.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hub Captive Club
Personal experiences will vary, but I really like the seats. I'm 6'2" and fly PS a lot for work (8.5-9h overnight legs, typically). I find it way worth it. I can't sleep in a C+ seat but can in a PS seat...I think its the legrest plus just enough width to not feel constrained. Bonus points if you can get a bulkhead as you can move your legs vertically which I find priceless when I want to stretch, but not get up. I agree with others that it's all about the seat and not service/food. If it's $535 one way for one leg, they can suffer...R/T, I'd do it. Your 6'3" son will appreciate it.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by spin2nd
Personal experiences will vary, but I really like the seats. I'm 6'2" and fly PS a lot for work (8.5-9h overnight legs, typically)
This is perennial issue with these types of questions. Is it worth it is different for everyone, but seat-wise, IMO people who are 6'2" - 6'4" benefit the most. So to the OP if you want your son to be comfortable and the $500 is disposable dollars, go for it.

For 11.5h, I would jump on it too (6'6") vs C+, but for me these seats are still uncomfortable as I cannot fully stretch my legs under the seat in front. These seat feel like they bottom out lower than most domestic F seats, so while a 37 inch pitch on a 739 is not great, the overall seat is better (IMO) than a PS seat with 37 inch of pitch. If PS had one additional inch the leg room would work, but the footrest is useless to me and the headrest (like on almost any seat) can't go up high enough.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

RC

Yup, EXACTLY the same.
CO-PLAT, free_whine and BSAChris like this.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by moondog

Yup, EXACTLY the same.
how many differences can YOU find between photo A and photo B ?
Old Nov 18, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by moondog

Yup, EXACTLY the same.
I’ve not flown the NWA seat before, but it does actually seem like it might be more comfortable. The PS seat doesn’t allow your legs to go straight. For me (and all are different), having my thighs and calves in one straight line is the most important thing of all. In that sense I might actually prefer the NWA seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.