Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How far in advance can I pay luggage fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Looking to book a DL flight for next February. Will I be able to pay my checked luggage fees after booking? I have incidental airline credit to use on my BofA card this year and don't want to lose it (or have to buy an AA gift card that I have no use for) when I actually have an upcoming expense that it will cover. Not sure if I can do it after booking or only at check-in. Thanks.

My other option is to book JetBlue for the same price, although they do not have a PP lounge at JFK (but have slightly better legroom).
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MisterBill
Looking to book a DL flight for next February. Will I be able to pay my checked luggage fees after booking? I have incidental airline credit to use on my BofA card this year and don't want to lose it (or have to buy an AA gift card that I have no use for) when I actually have an upcoming expense that it will cover. Not sure if I can do it after booking or only at check-in. Thanks.

My other option is to book JetBlue for the same price, although they do not have a PP lounge at JFK (but have slightly better legroom).
Only during checkin with DL.
MisterBill likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 12:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, Emirates Silver
I have an AMEX with a $200 airline credit. When I use my miles to book my daughter's family to fly, I use the AMEX to pay for the taxes and fees, and then I check them in online within 24 hours of departure select the number of bags, and pay it online. Unfortunately, that won't work for you though. Sorry.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by infusegm
I have an AMEX with a $200 airline credit. When I use my miles to book my daughter's family to fly, I use the AMEX to pay for the taxes and fees, and then I check them in online within 24 hours of departure select the number of bags, and pay it online. Unfortunately, that won't work for you though. Sorry.
Right, it will work with next year's credit.

I could potentially buy my JetBlue tickets with miles, and it would come out to around $70-80 in taxes ($60) and whatever I don't have to cover the two tickets (I am short one or two thousand miles). It's possibly that BofA will see that as a qualifying charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.