Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta One lounge JFK delayed to mid-year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Just sharing a quick update on the JFK Delta One lounge (mods, feel free to move this to any existing thread)

* no surprise, but after originally being slated for late 2023 and then pushed back to early 2024, Delta has now confirmed its first Delta One lounge at JFK won't be ready until "summer 2024" (no actual month was specified)

* and this is a surprise, while Delta One / Delta One Club was originally used by Delta in promoting these business class-only lounges, the airline is no longer using "Delta One" in internal comms regarding the JFK and LAX lounges, it's now just referring to them as "premium lounges", so it's possible they could undergo a name change. That'd strike me as most unusual, given the Delta One brand is already well-established, but hey, them's the facts...

That's the gist, so no onwards clicking required, but link FWIW: https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ounges-jfk-lax
dw likes this.

Last edited by djsflynn; Sep 27, 2023 at 5:01 am
Old Sep 27, 2023, 4:51 am

I'm shocked Delta isn't doing more to speed up construction and help alleviate its JFK T4 lounge asap - this would be a project I would have thought it would be a top priority. Also, is it just me - or is Delta thinking about rebranding its business cabin. With them not committing to "Delta One" - I wonder if we'll see a product refresh
Old Sep 27, 2023, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCflyer1222
Also, is it just me - or is Delta thinking about rebranding its business cabin. With them not committing to "Delta One" - I wonder if we'll see a product refresh
That was my first thought, with the cabin and lounges aligned around a fresh brand... but pure speculation of course, and it would seem odd, I do think Delta One is a decent brand to begin with.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 5:06 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I think Ed Bastian said at a conference recently that they intend to do some segmentation of their premium products similar to how Basic Economy / Main Cabin / Comfort+ is segmented today. Naming the lounge the “Delta One” lounge would make it odd if all Delta One fares didn’t get access to it, but if they name it something else means they can exclude Basic Delta One.

It’s a shame the JFK lounge is delayed given the crowding issues at T4B, but that is kind of the nature of airport construction in NY.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 5:44 am

Talk about confusing for passenger... "But, I'm in Delta One"!

[QUOTE=VFR;35616395]means they can exclude Basic Delta One.
halls120 and AJNEDC like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 5:46 am
VFR

Originally Posted by NoleATL
Talk about confusing for passenger... "But, I'm in Delta One"!
Current DL management brought us the Sky Club access policy where each method of access is slightly different, so I would not put it past them. It’s just a theory though.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djsflynn
That was my first thought, with the cabin and lounges aligned around a fresh brand... but pure speculation of course, and it would seem odd, I do think Delta One is a decent brand to begin with.
Could be they will also open it up to DM/360s with lounge credentials who are not in D1.
DrMilano and VFR like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by VFR
I think Ed Bastian said at a conference recently that they intend to do some segmentation of their premium products similar to how Basic Economy / Main Cabin / Comfort+ is segmented today. Naming the lounge the “Delta One” lounge would make it odd if all Delta One fares didn’t get access to it, but if they name it something else means they can exclude Basic Delta One.

It’s a shame the JFK lounge is delayed given the crowding issues at T4B, but that is kind of the nature of airport construction in NY.
Glen Hauenstein made this comment at the Morgan Stanley conference earlier this month-- remember that Glen said this "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."

Originally Posted by xliioper
Could be they will also open it up to DM/360s with lounge credentials who are not in D1.
I agree with you, as last month a JFK Delta Premium Services agent also told me that the new lounge was not going to be branded as a D1 lounge and asked me for a recommendation for a lounge name. I suspect that 2025 DM should be granted access to the upcoming lounge irrespective of flying D1 (but not BE) for spending 35k MQD.

At least the ATL term E CL is on schedule-- as I'm not surprised that the JFK lounge is behind, that is NY rigged construction for you.
dw, ryw and VFR like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by xliioper
I could see them essentially tiering the clubs by level of catering and access restriction with the low tier clubs being basically what you'd expect from a mediocre Priority Pass lounge or a United Club to currently typical SC to something competitive with an AF/BA/LH/EK/QR/EY/SQ/CX/NH/JL lounge (the new BOS club is basically there already, except for the SkyClub premium drinks for purchase), with BOS/JFK/LAX/SEA getting "that plus a la carte dining and free premium drinks". If they move most (i.e. non-lifetime) memberships to limited visits (which I think will be announced in January... $800 for 20 visits, $1500 for 50, $3000 for unlimited sounds ballpark), then it becomes a case of just saying that in certain situations, if you haven't used up your visit quota, a combination of status and class of service gets you in without dinging the quota.

Flying Blue's manager posted today in a thread from an ULTI who was shocked to not get lounge access in transcon F from SEA that FB was trying to work out a deal for some portion of their elites to get SC access, though he was not committing to anything.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I think they should call the new premium clubs “Crown Room Clubs” 😀
uanj, g50, ND76 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:25 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
On LAX, late 2024 sounds about right- I asked about it while in the SC the other day and was told that they have no idea when it’s going to open, but not a lot of work has been done so it wasn’t going to be anytime soon.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
"basic D1" lol

I guess no rush on the premium lounges, they're only about a decade behind their competitors
Old Sep 27, 2023, 11:29 am
VFR

Originally Posted by jimrpa
I think they should call the new premium clubs “Crown Room Clubs” 😀
If they are international-focused, I actually think Delta World Club wouldn’t be a bad name.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The "Vast Majority Of You Don't Get to Come in Lounge" w/ a big sign over the entrance would really stroke some egos.
jimrpa, ND76, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
1) LAX may be the first “D1” lounge open at this rate

2) I’ve long maintained that a large, D1 only lounge open all day at JFK makes little sense as the crowding is concentrated in the evening international banks; who is going to use the club in the morning and afternoons? Would make sense to open up to broader “premium” customers
jimrpa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.