Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When everyone is an elite no one is an elite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2023, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond

I take the contrarian view on the changes in the Skymiles/Medallion program. I applaud the them. I only travel for leisure. I had been GM for several years and then PM and when Covid hit I was able to build up a sizable war chest of MQMs to the point I had been planning on being PM for many years to come. However something drastically changed. When I was a GM and even FO I would get frequent upgrades. Now, as a PM, it almost never happens. I can’t even remember the last time.
For example, last week I went for a few days BDL-ATL-LAS and LAS-ATL-BDL. On each leg I was about halfway down the upgrade list (19 of 39 with 1 FC seat remaining). In the past I would have been upgraded or playing the fun game of number 2 with 2 seats remaining hoping for that exciting seat assignment change. On the LAS-ATL (a red eye that I would have always been upgraded in the past), after they boarded FC and called DM a huge wave of people approached the gate, it seemed like it was almost half the plane.
I believe the main reason people strive for status is for these upgrades. While FC isn’t what it used to be it’s still nice to be in the front of the plane. If you’re never getting upgraded why does it matter. I’d rather be a GM (or even FO) and get some upgrades than what we have now. “When everyone is an elite no one is an elite”.
So my plan is to leverage everything I can. I plan to upgrade my Delta Platinum AMEX to Reserve and put most of my charges on it. I am in the process of retiring and plan to a couple of long, expensive trips every year. I may also utilize Delta Vacations. I realize that these may be more expensive options, but will be worth it for me. I hope to stay a PM or at least GM when all of these DMs gets culled out of the herd.
As far as the Skyclubs are concerned, the same thing. When everyone is able to gain entry just because the got a credit card but hardly ever use it the result is the overcrowding they are experiencing. I spent $75,000 last year on my Platinum AMEX for the guest admission, which I never really use, so going to switch the spending over to the Reserve card.
So in summary, if you truly want to be an elite you can be. You just have to act like one.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Madaldad
… if you truly want to be an elite you can be. You just have to act spend like one.
fixed that for you
Old Sep 23, 2023, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond
Agreed, I used my wording on purpose because both are related.
Also, in the past I’ve been the king of getting bang for my buck. This year I’ve taken many trips including several cross country, DR and Europe, having spent only $3000, and yet I will still be PM next year. I can see how Delta needs a bump up in revenue from customers like me.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 9:55 am

You’re still not going to get upgraded often as a PM. If you read through these forums, even DM’s are rarely getting upgraded, and I can speak to that. Almost always #1 on the upgrade list, still not getting upgraded often because Delta is selling all the first class seats. If there’s nothing open, it doesn’t matter if you’re spending like an elite, unless you’re actually purchasing that first class seat. The problem with upgrades is not that there’s too many elites.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
sigh.
Delta is a bus.
reft, emrdoc and tigress123 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Madaldad
For example, last week I went for a few days BDL-ATL-LAS and LAS-ATL-BDL. On each leg I was about halfway down the upgrade list (19 of 39 with 1 FC seat remaining)
So if you're #19 for 1 seat, what does it matter if 50% or even 75% of the people ahead of you get bumped down the list or off the list completely? Is being #10 or even #5 for 1 seat really any better? You can still expect to ride in the back. Airlines are doing a better job of monetizing the FC cabin and while it's probably an unspoken part of the reasoning for their program changes, expect some of those who get bumped from status to just start buying FC outright, so those who remain will still often be missing out on upgrades.
moondog, chollie, emrdoc and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by busdriver11
You’re still not going to get upgraded often as a PM. If you read through these forums, even DM’s are rarely getting upgraded, and I can speak to that. Almost always #1 on the upgrade list, still not getting upgraded often because Delta is selling all the first class seats. If there’s nothing open, it doesn’t matter if you’re spending like an elite, unless you’re actually purchasing that first class seat. The problem with upgrades is not that there’s too many elites.
This week I was number 1 of 78 with 0 FC seats available. I even waited to board last in case someone missed their connection. Nope. It didn’t matter if I was 1 or 78. WFBF.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 10:06 am

As I “learned” in “War Games” sometimes the only way to win is to not play. I’m right about there. Reserve goes into the sock drawer, and any airline might just work, depending.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by shoodawg
As I “learned” in “War Games” sometimes the only way to win is to not play. I’m right about there. Reserve goes into the sock drawer, and any airline might just work, depending.
But you are still paying $550 to not spend on it. Why not just cancel it and save the $550?
CO-PLAT, LoachDriver, ofj and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
But you are still paying $550 to not spend on it. Why not just cancel it and save the $550?
I may fly delta occasionally and I might use the cert. will see!
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by shoodawg
I may fly delta occasionally and I might use the cert. will see!
There is a 30-day window when you get the companion cert safely in your DL wallet to then cancel the card and save the $550. Or keep it one more year for unlimited SC then cancel it next year.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 10:27 am
Suspended

Or get rid of your companion, so you don't need to go through the trouble to obtain a cert.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 10:33 am

But, but,but……

whatever they do should effect EVERYONE else but me Don’t they know how important I am to Delta. 😂
drjeffrock, SCChris, m.y and 9 others like this.

Last edited by Orange County Commuter; Sep 23, 2023 at 11:11 am
Old Sep 23, 2023, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by busdriver11
You’re still not going to get upgraded often as a PM. If you read through these forums, even DM’s are rarely getting upgraded, and I can speak to that. Almost always #1 on the upgrade list, still not getting upgraded often because Delta is selling all the first class seats. If there’s nothing open, it doesn’t matter if you’re spending like an elite, unless you’re actually purchasing that first class seat. The problem with upgrades is notthat there’s too many elites.

so. just ignore the monetization and look at the list. When the first class upgrade list has 70 people on it there’s a problem. A few weeks ago I bought a full fare ticket 30 hours before the flight. Well over $1k. PM, Reserve Card, 2MM etc. I was in the late 20s on the list. 😂
Old Sep 23, 2023, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
so. just ignore the monetization and look at the list. When the first class upgrade list has 70 people on it there’s a problem. A few weeks ago I bought a full fare ticket 30 hours before the flight. Well over $1k. PM, Reserve Card, 2MM etc. I was in the late 20s on the list. 😂
but you didn't buy the FC ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.