Search

Premium not-so-select: new policy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2023, 11:28 am
Moderator: National Car
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Premium not-so-select: new policy?

Currently mid flight on an international trip, seated in premium select. We are on a 767. I’ve flown this route and itinerary many times without issue. Today, I was scolded for using the restroom immediately forward of the premium select cabin (right behind Delta One), and the crew subsequently blocked the aisles with beverage carts to prevent others from using it! I’ve never seen that one before.

This also means no access to usual snack basket location and there has been no snack service in ~4 hours following meal service at takeoff. When I asked for the basket I was told we were not eligible and snacks were for Delta One only.

so to recap:
3 bathrooms blocked in forward cabin for Delta One; blocked aisles
4 bathrooms for the entire rest of the plane
no snack service or available food for Premium Select

Did I just get a bad crew? Is this a new policy change? Truly dumbfounded and trying to understand what I may be missing here.
lindros2 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 11:32 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I believe this has always been the policy on almost all DL planes (I’m on my phone so I can’t review the curtain arrangements on Aerolopa to say all). They often make an announcement reminding you the bathrooms are behind you.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 11:47 am

This has always been the case, you have just been lucky in the past, I would say a good 80 percent of the time I see the crew block access with carts, I don’t know the exact plane you were one but there are mostly only two bathrooms for delta one on the 767, I guess what you are missing is that premium doesnt really get you much of anything,
DrMilano, hikouki, AJNEDC and 1 others like this.

Last edited by tennessetom; Sep 22, 2023 at 12:40 pm
Old Sep 22, 2023, 12:05 pm

Sounds like a 767-400 which has one bathroom to the back of Delta One. That particular plane only has one bathroom up front; so the one behind Delta One is used as the 2nd one. The Flight attendant was correct in this case.
TravisMT81, hhdl and JetSettingBuc like this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Premium select needs to remove Premium from the name and rebrand to Select Coach.

There is nothing premium about it.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99

There is nothing premium about it.
Except the price DL tries to charge.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Was on a TATL 763 flight in PS in June and can attest that the lavs in the front of the cabin is curtained off and PS pax need to use the Econ lavs. Although the scolding by the FA is a bit silly.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Same policy with other airlines too.

Some FAs are just more strict than others.

Try try again. It's not like they would be guarding the bathroom the whole time.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
I haven’t flown Delta’s Premium Select, but from videos I’ve seen on various blogs, there isn’t anything to justify the added expense. The food looks like regular economy, the food presentation is awful, and from reading this, there is no premium service.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:54 pm

What I can’t figure out is why people keep buying Delta Premium select? . Is it just a constant group of new passengers that I’ve never actually has the nonexistent service and the subpar catering?
Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
The PS designation does not truly indicate "Premium Select"...it's Delta code for Pathetic Seats...
Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:59 pm

Many businesses these days only allow employees premium select or the equivalent, our policy is by mileage and London isn’t far enough for D1, i have always suspected premium select was added basically for business travelers to keep down expenses for companies, it really isn’t premium enough over coach in my mind to pay for but it is what we get booked in,
Old Sep 22, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by tennessetom
Many businesses these days only allow employees premium select or the equivalent, our policy is by mileage and London isn’t far enough for D1, i have always suspected premium select was added basically for business travelers to keep down expenses for companies, it really isn’t premium enough over coach in my mind to pay for but it is what we get booked in,
Agree (and in a similar situation), but the funny (or sad/annoying) thing is that PS fares, especially less than 30 days out and no Saturday stay, now price out where business used to price out. (Which means the model is working exactly the way DL wants it too btw)
tigress123 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by tennessetom

so? If your business only allows you to fly premium, there are a number of other carriers flying a Premium product across the Atlantic ocean that’s a lot better than the pathetic product Delta’s putting out. Why are you flying Delta? Heck, if your business makes you book on delta.com you could still fly another carrier. Trust me, I have. There is absolutely no reason to step foot on a delta jet to sit in “Subpremium”
Old Sep 22, 2023, 5:11 pm

Duplicate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.