Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK Prices

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2023, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

BKK Prices

Hi, I have been looking at fares for a month or so to fly CLT-BKk and prices have been ~ 1600-1800 on Delta/KA flying end of Oct returning first week in Dec using flexible dates but today when I went to book the prices are around 6k for a round trip. Quite a hike. It seems that no matter what date I pick the fares are pretty steep for main cabin.

Anybody know why prices would jump like that? If I price out ATL-BKK the price cuts by half but still almost 2x what they were just a few days ago even if I go out into next year. Other airlines are still in the mid 1000 range r/t. Seems like a glitch.

Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL DM
Probably something to do with Schedule Change Saturday messing with the inventory. I would check back in a day or two. I’ve got a trip to BKK in a few months already booked and have seen weird fluctuations in price over weekends.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a bucket inventory issue. Lots of changes in fare filings on Friday to BKK and other Asia destinations from numerous US origins. I would assume it's temporary as fares don't look to be very competitive right now. When the lowest fare filing is Q (and nothing in K/L/U/T/X/V classes), something would seem to be amiss. A 50 day AP on Q fares also looks very odd. KE fare filings showing similar weirdness. Although DL/KE coordinate Asia fare filings as part of ATI (other than to China), so not too surprising I guess.

Menko and DrMilano like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 16, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Old Sep 16, 2023, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA (Silver), WN
Originally Posted by xliioper
Not a bucket inventory issue. Lots of changes in fare filings on Friday to BKK and other Asia destinations from numerous US origins. I would assume it's temporary as fares don't look to be very competitive right now. When the lowest fare filing is Q (and nothing in K/L/U/T/X/V classes), something would seem to be amiss. A 50 day AP on Q fares also looks very odd. KE fare filings showing similar weirdness. Although DL/KE coordinate Asia fare filings as part of ATI (other than to China), so not too surprising I guess.

xliioper, how do you do this fare/pricing you shared with us?
I'm relatively new to airline computer pricing searches.
Appreciate your time and feedback.
Menko at STL
Old Sep 16, 2023, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Menko
xliioper, how do you do this fare/pricing you shared with us?
I'm relatively new to airline computer pricing searches.
Appreciate your time and feedback.
Menko at STL
They are from ExpertFlyer (which is a subscription service). They let you backdate ticketing date (so you can do historical fare filing searches). It just shows possible fares available for purchase as which fare can actually be purchased will also depend on fare class inventory availability on any given flight. You also have to meet various fare rule requirements like Advance Purchase, Roundtrip booking and minimum stay, Seasonality, etc. to purchase cheapest possible fares. ExpertFlyer also has the fare rules available with the fare filings.
DrMilano likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 16, 2023 at 2:32 pm
Old Sep 17, 2023, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks. I will wait a few more days. Hopefully it will get sorted out. Else I will just fly someone else.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
I have the same issue, but was able to find a flight from LAX that offered MQM since I need those, there was a flight around October 8th for $850 one-way no MQM or a few around the October 9th date for $1k ish that offer about 5k MQM. I took a one-way since I have a long-term visa so it’s not an issue, but I saw the r/t were like $6k as well. I grabbed an $89 flight PHX to LAX and will take that one-way. If you need an onward ticket I’m sure you know the game to just get some ThaiSmile or air Asia throwaway ticket out of Thailand. Luckily i have some banked United miles, flights so much cheaper with their miles but scared to burn them…. good luck!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.