Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL157 (ACC-JFK) diverted to Azores. No food or water for hours.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2023, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle

This looks like a mess.
DL157 on a A330 76K took off from ACC, had an issue with the backup oxygen system and diverted to TER (Lajes, Azores) at about 6am local time.

According to reports the crew were quickly shuttled off to a hotel and the pax were all brought to a "partitioned section" of the airport, given no food, water or info for hours. At about 11:30am the pax were told there would be no meal because they already were given a meal prior to the 6am landing. When some pax begged for water they were told they could use the tap water from the bathrooms. Eventually they were given ham sandwiches, juice and crackers - many Muslims in west Africa so this probably didn't work for them.

According to a passenger, a DL rep told everyone they should not start a "revolution" and be grateful that they were allowed to land and their plane didn't crash into the sea.

After 12 hours a rescue aircraft arrived and pax continued on to JFK.

Business Insider article about the diversion here: Delta passengers stuck on an island after a flight diversion how airport staff said they should 'be grateful' their plane didn't crash into the Atlantic Ocean.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Sep 12, 2023 at 12:52 pm Reason: was a 76K, not a330
Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Tap water is water.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Tap water is water.
So is the Atlantic Ocean.

Curious as to how/why a DL “rep” was present at Lajes, since DL doesn’t (normally) fly there.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Tap water is water.
Not everywhere.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 11:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kale73
Curious as to how/why a DL “rep” was present at Lajes, since DL doesn’t (normally) fly there.
I don't think there was one present. It seems like it was a member of the TER airport staff.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 12:34 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Also, aircraft involved was a 76K, not an A330. Plane was already back in service on Sunday 10 Sept.

DL cancelled that day’s LIS-BOS flight and sent the plane instead to TER to pick up the stranded pax.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 3:28 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Yes, they should have brought them in food and drinks.

No, they really couldn't let them run free in the airport.

It was certainly better than making them stay on the plane.

Tap water, the horror, the horror.
Grog, DLASflyer, etiene and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 3:54 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Yes, they should have brought them in food and drinks.

No, they really couldn't let them run free in the airport.

It was certainly better than making them stay on the plane.

Tap water, the horror, the horror.
There are place in the world where tap water can kill you. Flint, Michigan anyone?
Grog, blue2002, fdog and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 4:25 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by drminn
There are place in the world where tap water can kill you. Flint, Michigan anyone?
Yes, if you're a small child who drinks it from lead pipes after some kind of chemical cleaning for your entire childhood.

The water in the Azores airport is fine for an afternoon of waiting for your plane.
Grog, andrewk829 and hhdl like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 5:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Not everywhere.
A quick search shows the Azores have some of the best tap water in the world.

https://www.groundwatergovernance.or...in-the-azores/
Grog, davedeboston, OHDL1 and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Also, aircraft involved was a 76K, not an A330.
I think I typed an A330 because the Insider article at the heading of the story had a photo of a specific A330 with its registration number and no indication anywhere else in the article of the aircraft type.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by drminn
I would decline the tap water in MEX. Having traveled with an immuno-compromised companion, I totally understand being apprehensive about tap water in an unknown location.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:35 am

To me, the way this was handled reflects just as poorly on Portugal as it does Delta. I also wonder why they landed at TER instead of PDL? All of those airports have long runways, but I think PDL is the only international one.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by zeke3
To me, the way this was handled reflects just as poorly on Portugal as it does Delta. I also wonder why they landed at TER instead of PDL? All of those airports have long runways, but I think PDL is the only international one.
My guess would be because they needed to get the airplane down on the ground as quickly as they could. Not sure what the flight path was but it might have been easier to land at TER instead of PDL.
Grog likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 11:00 am

Can any of the flight diversion experts out there weigh in? When I look at the map, the diversion started just north of Cabo Verde, skipped the Canaries, and went further north to TER instead of PDL. All of those locations have international airports, so this has me baffled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.