Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Did Delta cancel ATL-OGG for this winter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2023, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

I don't see it for sale...
Old Sep 9, 2023, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I don't see it for sale...
Google Flights/EF currently shows it starting November 6th, but it's Schedule Change Saturday and they may be in process of pulling it from the schedule.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Someone posted in the DM Facebook Group that both ATL-OGG and MSP-OGG have been pulled from the schedule. Not surprising given that demand to Maui has changed significantly in the wake of the devastating fires.

The DM Facebook group noted that DL will still be flying to OGG from LAX, SEA, and SLC.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Someone posted in the DM Facebook Group that both ATL-OGG and MSP-OGG have been pulled from the schedule. Not surprising given that demand to Maui has changed significantly in the wake of the devastating fires.

The DM Facebook group noted that DL will still be flying to OGG from LAX, SEA, and SLC.
They’ve also made frequency cuts to/from LAX.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Isn’t it soon to be pulling these flights for the winter?

Disappointing as I have a hotel booking for around New Years and wanted to use ATL to OGG
Old Sep 9, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold

Disappointing as I have a hotel booking for around New Years and wanted to use ATL to OGG
Maui is recovering from a natural disaster that devastated one of the main tourist areas of the Island, the airlines have been adjusting schedules a few months out as they get more information/pax cancel, etc. Disappointing but not entirely unexpected.
wrldwide1 and dw like this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
They’ve also made frequency cuts to/from LAX.
As well as downgauges in equipment. When I was looking at flights out of Hawaii a couple months ago, OGG-LAX was showing as operating with a 767-300. Checking the same flights today, the flights to LAX now show as operating with A321NEOs.

The flights had been added FOR winter but the recent fires have devastated the island of Maui and have had a corresponding negative impact on travel demand to Maui as people have canceled or changed plans.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 11:58 am
Original Poster

I understand the devastation in Maui right now… but these flights were starting in two months. Hawaii officials are already encouraging travel resume to the ref of Maui. It seems short sighted to take down airlift for the winter when we are still in late summer
Old Sep 9, 2023, 1:25 pm

Just received email today , that my return flight from OGG to ATL-JFK now changed to OGG-LAX-ATL-JFK Now have double the opportunities for missing / lost luggage and flight delays and missed flights.. I paid a premium for just one stopover ( first class) and now to have my flights chopped up even more. I always fly direct…haven’t had a stopover in over 25 years .. Hopefully my direct JFK to HNL isn’t changed
Old Sep 9, 2023, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 49holding
Just received email today , that my return flight from OGG to ATL-JFK now changed to OGG-LAX-ATL-JFK Now have double the opportunities for missing / lost luggage and flight delays and missed flights.. I paid a premium for just one stopover ( first class) and now to have my flights chopped up even more. I always fly direct…haven’t had a stopover in over 25 years .. Hopefully my direct JFK to HNL isn’t changed
OGG-LAX/SLC/SEA are still on the schedule so you should be able to switch to any of these routings at an even exchange and get a one-stop to JFK. If these options aren't given to you via the "Change Flights" option on the website or if when trying to change flights the website is trying to collect additional fare, call DL and have an agent make the change for you. Also, depending on what other options are available on other airlines, you can ask for a refund and book another carrier since the adding of an additional stop is grounds for a full refund to the original form of payment.
dw likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
I understand the devastation in Maui right now… but these flights were starting in two months. Hawaii officials are already encouraging travel resume to the ref of Maui. It seems short sighted to take down airlift for the winter when we are still in late summer
just because “officials” are encouraging travel doesn’t mean you should. I hope you don’t want to do too much other than rest/relax and are flexible with your dining plans. Things will not be anywhere resembling “recovered.”
MEL-World likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 3:03 pm

Just received an email from Delta today that our February JAX-ATL-OGG flight has been changed to JAX-ATL-SLC-OGG. Originally the ATL-OGG was Delta 1 but now the ATL-SLC segment is showing as First Class
Old Sep 9, 2023, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would think Delta is just responding to decreased demand. They can't really forecast beyond the actual amount of customers booking tickets in an environment like this.

I wish they'd keep these up also, but not if that means flying planes that are 70% empty.
dw likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 99Pewtercoupe
Just received an email from Delta today that our February JAX-ATL-OGG flight has been changed to JAX-ATL-SLC-OGG. Originally the ATL-OGG was Delta 1 but now the ATL-SLC segment is showing as First Class
No D1 on ATL-SLC. SLC-OGG should be D1. But if you would prefer a different routing, you should be able to call DL and ask for a routing like JAX-ATL-HNL-OGG so you can have a longer flight in D1 (as long as seats are available on both flights), albeit with the connection to the HA hop after arriving in Hawaii.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 99Pewtercoupe
The SLC-OGG flight is still D1. The only domestic D1 routes out of ATL are to Hawaii. DL sometimes flies D1 metal on ATL-SLC, but it will always be FC marketed. As noted above, you could try for JAX-ATL-HNL-OGG routing which will have D1 on ATL-HNL segment for most of your journey.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 9, 2023 at 3:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.