FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   No water for the cattle (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2134528-no-water-cattle.html)

wanderingtheearth Sep 8, 2023 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt (Post 35564048)
Did you tell the flight attendant that you needed water to take medicine?

They didn't offer anything in the back besides water? That seems unlikely (or the product of a miscater).

People like to play the victim (I begged! I felt like a piece of garbage! The flight attendant was Uber cranky!") but what is the difference between begging and asking in this context? Did you ask for water more than once? Did you ask for a soft drink? It sounds like you asked for water, didn't receive it, then asked for an alcoholic drink when they came through the cabin and was told that they didn't have that, either. Did other passengers get anything besides water? What time was the flight?

It sounds like there was some miscommunication here at the very least, and/or a miscatering in the back.

It shouldn't be a production to get a glass of water on a 4.5 hour flight even in plain old Economy, much less in a class that's supposed to get free alcoholic beverages. A lot of stories come through here missing some context or nuance but that doesn't mean you should train yourself to automatically assume the passenger is at fault for not being able to coax a glass of water out of the flight attendants.

lamphs Sep 8, 2023 3:40 pm

Keep your submitted compliant to the point. "I asked for water two hours into the flight and it was refused". Adding things like 'cranky' do not help the situation, IME.

Crash318 Sep 8, 2023 4:03 pm

Write to Delta. At worst you get nothing. Best is you get compensation!

Adam1222 Sep 8, 2023 4:49 pm

The problem with posts like these is that it provokes discussion conflating airline policy/problems with the airline with one passenger's self reported experience.

As we all know, it most certainly is not a Delta policy not to serve beverages on a flight of that length. And in dozens of flights this year, the only flights where I have not had an offer of a soft drink in Main Cabin are ATL-SAV and DCA-NYC. Water has been proactively offered on some of those.

now, what happened here? It's unclear. The OP suggests both that there were no soft drinks and that there was no alcohol catered. If they didn't come down the aisle with a beverage cart, when would the latter come up? As for the OPs request for water, maybe the FA was rude. Or maybe the FA was simply suggesting that the beverage cart was already in the aisle making it's way to the OP, and the OP didn't indicate this was an urgent matter. Or maybe the OP was rude about "begging" for water, or expected the plane to be like a fine dining restaurant where FAs perennially refill comfort plus passengers glasses.

Either way, it's strange for this post to have devolved as it has. Given the clickbaity/histrionic title, perhaps it's predictable.

Jaimito Cartero Sep 8, 2023 5:02 pm

Mooooo.

steveholt Sep 8, 2023 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingtheearth (Post 35564364)
It shouldn't be a production to get a glass of water on a 4.5 hour flight even in plain old Economy, much less in a class that's supposed to get free alcoholic beverages. A lot of stories come through here missing some context or nuance but that doesn't mean you should train yourself to automatically assume the passenger is at fault for not being able to coax a glass of water out of the flight attendants.

I'm not saying OP is at fault. OP should obviously be getting served water, soft drinks, and alcohol in C+, and any reason why they aren't should be the result of criticism.

But I am trying to understand *why* it happened. Was the FA just lazy? Did they make more than one pass through the cabin and OP only asked for an alcoholic beverage during that second pass? Did the FA turn down OP when they asked for water (bad) or did they turn down the OP when they asked for water so they could take their medicine (much, much worse)?

DrMilano Sep 8, 2023 10:10 pm

How many times did the FA’s pass through hawking the AmEx cobranded credit card in flight special bonus sign up? US3 airlines are credit card companies these days, as flying planes and providing inflight service is a side gig hobby these days.

ACES70 Sep 9, 2023 5:00 am

Do passengers not bother to get up and go to the galley and either help themselves or ask the crew there?

WillBarrett_68 Sep 9, 2023 9:25 am

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 35564438)
Keep your submitted compliant to the point. "I asked for water two hours into the flight and it was refused". Adding things like 'cranky' do not help the situation, IME.

IME of reading thousands of these things over the years and seeing how they unroll as the passengers give more and more detial, the more extraneous descriptors that are added, the less accurate the account usually turns out to be. E.g. a huge percentage of complaints about "rude" flight attendants/gate agents/hotel front desk agents turn out to be "I wanted an upgrade and didn't get it" or something like that.

Not saying the OP is one of these people, but yes, keeping the story tight and to the point is highly advisable

DiverDave Sep 9, 2023 11:56 am

Whenever I need water to take my meds, I just say that I need water to take some pills. I've never been refused or even given so much as a dirty look. :)

David

kale73 Sep 9, 2023 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by zeke3 (Post 35564084)
Did anyone else read this title and think Delta mishandled another animal transport? Bees, dogs, and now cows!

Originally Posted by shoodawg (Post 35564086)
You must read more than the headline.

Ahem. Please see Thread Titles.

Adelphos Sep 9, 2023 2:00 pm

Bottom line, no drink service or alcohol available in C+ on a flight that length is a service breakdown and merits compensation

la2clt Sep 9, 2023 2:04 pm

Deleted

cvision Sep 9, 2023 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by ACES70 (Post 35565435)
Do passengers not bother to get up and go to the galley and either help themselves or ask the crew there?

I've been told once to not touch the water bottle, that was >2022, so arguably some may not want to test it again?
To the contrary I've had a BA or AA FA (fuzzy memory) pre COVID give me an entire 1.5L bottle because I came back twice, which I thought was very nice and service forward... though that was only once, in Y.

Synapseturquoise Sep 9, 2023 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by zeke3 (Post 35564084)
Did anyone else read this title and think Delta mishandled another animal transport? Bees, dogs, and now cows!

No, some folks refer to main cabin as "Cattle class" I guess in OP's case it will be "Cattle + "🤭