Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Way to Pickup Luggage after arrival at Terminal 4 JFK, and then still access Skyclub?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Way to Pickup Luggage after arrival at Terminal 4 JFK, and then still access Skyclub?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2023, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum

Delta is taking us to JFK Terminal 4 to connect to a British Airways LHR Terminal 8 flight some nine hours later. My previous experience there is that BA closes its checkin/baggage drop desk shortly after its last morning flight, and doesn't re-open till mid-afternoon. While we are flying business on BA, we won't have access to the BA lounge upon arrival at JFK even though the lounge will be open, because we will not be able to checkin/bag drop at the closed BA desk. Instead, we would likely sit and stare at the gated and closed BA counter for 2-3 hours.
But we are also Skyclub members eligible to use a Terminal 4 Skyclub upon arrival at JFK. Problem is that we would be reluctant to let our luggage revolve for a while on the belt and then, hopefully, be picked up by a Delta agent, awaiting our retrieval. Any suggestions as to how to access a Terminal 4 Skyclub after picking up our luggage or another way to handle this situation?
Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Long story short, no. You have to leave the departure / secure area to go to baggage claim at T4 and even if you were able to walk back (e.g. if you had a same-day boarding pass departing T4), what would you do with your luggage? Isn't your point that you want to check it in on BA?
If you can consolidate into 1+ carry-on I'd suggest that for the DL flight.

Originally Posted by ohmark
Delta is taking us to JFK Terminal 4 to connect to a British Airways LHR Terminal 8 flight some nine hours later. My previous experience there is that BA closes its checkin/baggage drop desk shortly after its last morning flight, and doesn't re-open till mid-afternoon.
This is not on one ticket I assume? Otherwise it should interline through.

While we are flying business on BA, we won't have access to the BA lounge upon arrival at JFK even though the lounge will be open, because we will not be able to checkin/bag drop at the closed BA desk. Instead, we would likely sit and stare at the gated and closed BA counter for 2-3 hours.
Worst case you could see if an American agent will tag the bags and send them on their way assuming that you can do mobile check in and get your mobile boarding passes.

Problem is that we would be reluctant to let our luggage revolve for a while on the belt and then, hopefully, be picked up by a Delta agent, awaiting our retrieval. Any suggestions as to how to access a Terminal 4 Skyclub after picking up our luggage or another way to handle this situation?
Don't know how I'd feel about JFK but I've done this at JAX before, though not for anything like 5+ hours...
Old Aug 23, 2023, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Delta is taking us to JFK Terminal 4 to connect to a British Airways LHR Terminal 8 flight some nine hours later. My previous experience there is that BA closes its checkin/baggage drop desk shortly after its last morning flight, and doesn't re-open till mid-afternoon. While we are flying business on BA, we won't have access to the BA lounge upon arrival at JFK even though the lounge will be open, because we will not be able to checkin/bag drop at the closed BA desk. Instead, we would likely sit and stare at the gated and closed BA counter for 2-3 hours.
But we are also Skyclub members eligible to use a Terminal 4 Skyclub upon arrival at JFK. Problem is that we would be reluctant to let our luggage revolve for a while on the belt and then, hopefully, be picked up by a Delta agent, awaiting our retrieval. Any suggestions as to how to access a Terminal 4 Skyclub after picking up our luggage or another way to handle this situation?
Thanks!
If you don't mind paying, you can explore the paid baggage storage available at JFK T4:

https://smartecarte.com/john-f-kennedy/
Old Aug 23, 2023, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cvision
Long story short, no. You have to leave the departure / secure area to go to baggage claim at T4 and even if you were able to walk back (e.g. if you had a same-day boarding pass departing T4), what would you do with your luggage? Isn't your point that you want to check it in on BA?
If you can consolidate into 1+ carry-on I'd suggest that for the DL flight.

This is not on one ticket I assume? Otherwise it should interline through.

Worst case you could see if an American agent will tag the bags and send them on their way assuming that you can do mobile check in and get your mobile boarding passes.

Don't know how I'd feel about JFK but I've done this at JAX before, though not for anything like 5+ hours...
Thanks for the response.
Delta domestic and BA to London are separate tickets.
Circumstances dictate not possible to consolidate into carryon.
Plan to do mobile check in/boarding pass. Situation would be different from last time as both are at Terminal 8 now, whereas last year BA was still at Terminal 7. But still dubious as to whether American agent will tag and send on bags. Might try if no other ideas.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you don't mind paying, you can explore the paid baggage storage available at JFK T4:

https://smartecarte.com/john-f-kennedy/
Thanks.
But don't think we could re-clear Terminal 4 TSA after taking care of luggage as we'd only have our arrival boarding pass rather than an outgoing Terminal 4 boarding pass. (We would have an outgoing Terminal 8 boarding pass, but don't think that would help at Terminal 4 TSA.)
Old Aug 23, 2023, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks.
But don't think we could re-clear Terminal 4 TSA after taking care of luggage as we'd only have our arrival boarding pass rather than an outgoing Terminal 4 boarding pass. (We would have an outgoing Terminal 8 boarding pass, but don't think that would help at Terminal 4 TSA.)
My understanding -- and you should double-check this -- is that a same-day boarding pass for a flight departing from one JFK terminal allows access to the secure area of any JFK terminal. Perhaps post an inquiry in the FT NYC forum.
chessman, wrp96 and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
My understanding -- and you should double-check this -- is that a same-day boarding pass for a flight departing from one JFK terminal allows access to the secure area of any JFK terminal. Perhaps post an inquiry in the FT NYC forum.
Thanks. Will take a look at this.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 6:52 pm

Programs: Jet Blue Mosaic, Emirates Silver, Etihad Silver, BA Bronze,
Thanks. Will take a look at this.
To add, I routinely enter T4 when flying out of T5 when I’m there early to use the Centurion Lounge and have never had an issue.
jonr405 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Delete

Last edited by hirohito888; Aug 23, 2023 at 8:12 pm Reason: Misread, missed the earlier message
Old Aug 23, 2023, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
There is a paid storage facility at T4.

AA and BA have a combined business class check in, but the agents are separated. So, I wouldn't expect the ability to check a bag until 3-4 hours before the first evening LHR flight.

I routinely visit the skyclub upon arrival and have only had my bag stolen once from a LGA carousel this year. There's some risk.

You'll be able to clear T4 with an onward JFK boarding pass.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Talking Only once?

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
There is a paid storage facility at T4.

AA and BA have a combined business class check in, but the agents are separated. So, I wouldn't expect the ability to check a bag until 3-4 hours before the first evening LHR flight.

I routinely visit the skyclub upon arrival and have only had my bag stolen once from a LGA carousel this year. There's some risk.

You'll be able to clear T4 with an onward JFK boarding pass.
Only once at LGA? No thanks!
Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Thanks!
Don't leave your luggage on the belt. The DL lounge isn't worth it. Take the Airtrain to T5 and go have a drink at the TWA, where you can also store your bags for the time being.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by steveholt
Don't leave your luggage on the belt. The DL lounge isn't worth it. Take the Airtrain to T5 and go have a drink at the TWA, where you can also store your bags for the time being.
Of course! Why have a free drink when you can pay $25 a drink at the TWA Hotel?
GrayAnderson and ohhleary like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Move to a later flight. No lounges are worth spending 8-9 hours, even half of that.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Of course! Why have a free drink when you can pay $25 a drink at the TWA Hotel?
Better to run the risk of leaving your luggage on the baggage carousel at the beginning of a trip so you can get a watered-down free drink in a packed lounge? Hope the free Michelob Ultra is worth it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.