Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The horror of the narrowness of the REAR LAV of a DL a321

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The horror of the narrowness of the REAR LAV of a DL a321

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The FAA demonstrably is not interested in requiring minimum space and sizing on aircraft nor in re-evaluating safety of proper evacuation in the event of an emergency. Airlines are allowed to get away with paper exercises showing they can 'evacuate' pax, even though more seats are added and spacing between seats has dropped from when the original live studies and qualifications were done. If you actually try to evacuate a plane like a 739 now full of representative pax (normal mix of travelers, not experts coached in how to get off the plane quickly) then they will miserably fail the requirement to exit in the allotted amount of time.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:41 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by cre95
What about folk sporting socks only in the lav?
Isn't that what amenity kit socks (to be worn over your own socks) are for?
Old Aug 24, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Gutsier than I with the flip flops in that biohazard!
Those aren’t flip-flops…more like Birkenstocks or similar…aka Flintstones shoes!
Old Aug 24, 2023, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
No way. If something is going to soak up in the amenity kit sock, it will soak right through to my own sock.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
No way. If something is going to soak up in the amenity kit sock, it will soak right through to my own sock.
Some people like to keep their toes cool
Admiral Ackbar and kale73 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rylan
The FAA demonstrably is not interested in requiring minimum space and sizing on aircraft nor in re-evaluating safety of proper evacuation in the event of an emergency. Airlines are allowed to get away with paper exercises showing they can 'evacuate' pax, even though more seats are added and spacing between seats has dropped from when the original live studies and qualifications were done. If you actually try to evacuate a plane like a 739 now full of representative pax (normal mix of travelers, not experts coached in how to get off the plane quickly) then they will miserably fail the requirement to exit in the allotted amount of time.
The FAA may not be interested, but the DOT is. https://abcnews.go.com/US/dot-requir...y?id=101670049

Unfortunately, it will take a full ten years for the new rules to take effect, during which time Delta's going to populate their fleet exclusively with narrowbodies featuring crappy crappers.
ryw likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by BenA
Unfortunately, it will take a full ten years for the new rules to take effect, during which time Delta's going to [deleted].
"...continue to payoff the right politicians to keep this rule from ever taking effect so they can continue to maximize profits."

There, fixed it for you.
rylan and FlyHappy33 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by cre95
Some people like to keep their toes cool
And, apparently, wet.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:02 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by ATLintheair
This is yet another industry trend to maximize space in the cabin so they can cram in yet one additional row of seats. This, frankly, is one area that the FAA needs to look at. How can this be ADA compliant? Even people of, dare I say, "normal" size find this easy to use? What about mobility limited people like the elderly? Or parents who need to accompany a child into the lav? If there's one place that probably does need some regulation this is a shining one.
I used to work for another airline that installed/retrofitted the SpaceFlex aft configuration of small galley and two side by side lavs under the tail on its A320/321. The wall between the two aft lavs can open up or be removed with a tool the F/As have fairly easily. I did a demo on an overnighting aircraft with representatives from the DOT disability group that included some air carrier and Amtrak folks (including a few in wheelchairs). They actually preferred this lav configuration with the center wall removed because 1.) a lot more hand holds, 2.) choice of toilet orientations to select based on range of motion, 3.) the fact it was somewhat smaller than a very wide wheelchair-designated lavatory because those have assist bars and grab points far apart. Most of these aircraft have the forward lavatory as ACAA (governs airlines not ADA) compliant without modification.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
I will never understand open toed shoes on an aircraft.
You don’t have a bunion.
willoL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.