Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL flight on VS booking: do Diamond Medallion upgrades apply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2023, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Hi all,
I'm typically on the BA forum as that's the carrier I do most of my flying with. Total newbie over here though.
I've got an upcoming trip to Hawaii, booked with VS codes, with half the legs (LAX-OGG r/t) on DL metal.
As a Delta Diamon Medallion I'm completely unfamiliar with the upgrades process, so hoping someone with the knowledge can help assist?
Booking is: LHR-LAX (VS Premium), LAX-OGG (DL Comfort+ (although this is ultimately economy)), OGG-LAX (DL Comfort+), LAX-LHR (VS Upper Class).
Of course I'd love the opportunity to turn those DL Comfort+ seats into First ones for the 6-hour hops over to the island. Is that impossible because of the VS codes?
This will help me decide which frequent flyer number I associate with the booking, as the miles are ultimately going to be better in my Virgin account... but I'd ditch the miles if the upgrades were possible! Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only possible on day of departure due to the VS coding. DL uses separate fare classes for C+ just as VS does for Economy Delight (they are not simply extra legroom seats like other airlines). Delta upgrades to both C+ and FC are automated and use separate classes/upgrade buckets -- SU for C+ and OU for FC. VS does not have any equivalent classes for comp upgrades and a VS coded flight with a SU or OU class would not be valid.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Hi all,
I'm typically on the BA forum as that's the carrier I do most of my flying with. Total newbie over here though.
I've got an upcoming trip to Hawaii, booked with VS codes, with half the legs (LAX-OGG r/t) on DL metal.
As a Delta Diamon Medallion I'm completely unfamiliar with the upgrades process, so hoping someone with the knowledge can help assist?
Booking is: LHR-LAX (VS Premium), LAX-OGG (DL Comfort+ (although this is ultimately economy)), OGG-LAX (DL Comfort+), LAX-LHR (VS Upper Class).
Of course I'd love the opportunity to turn those DL Comfort+ seats into First ones for the 6-hour hops over to the island. Is that impossible because of the VS codes?
This will help me decide which frequent flyer number I associate with the booking, as the miles are ultimately going to be better in my Virgin account... but I'd ditch the miles if the upgrades were possible! Thanks.
Partner airline bookings are Day of Departure only. Also not trying to be “that person” but I hope you’ve been keeping up with the news in Maui over the past week. The Island main tourist area Lahaina has been completely destroyed by a wildfire and will likely take years to recover from. Not sure when your trip is but if it’s within the next few months, I’d consider canceling or rebooking to a different island. There’s rumors that some of the island hotels/resorts could close to temporarily house displaced local residents from the fires.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Partner airline bookings are Day of Departure only. Also not trying to be “that person” but I hope you’ve been keeping up with the news in Maui over the past week. The Island main tourist area Lahaina has been completely destroyed by a wildfire and will likely take years to recover from. Not sure when your trip is but if it’s within the next few months, I’d consider canceling or rebooking to a different island. There’s rumors that some of the island hotels/resorts could close to temporarily house displaced local residents from the fires.
I had been wondering this, of course, but it's for a conference in a few months -- so it's up to the client to be in contact with the hotels/operators regarding their package, and perhaps there's a chance of an island move being negotiated (it'd then only really be a case of an island hop additional flight I suppose). Speaking of logistics only there, not of the sadness surrounding the whole events, as it does look dire.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Even more confusingly I seem to have a mix of carrier codes in the booking.
It's VS, DL, VS, VS.
The three VS ones have one PNR, the DL one a separate PNR. All four flights are shown on each though.
Does seem to affect eligibility too: I can make a First Class upgrade request for that one DL flight (as per grab below):
Thanks for input here all!

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Aug 12, 2023 at 9:57 am
Old Aug 13, 2023, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Even more confusingly I seem to have a mix of carrier codes in the booking.
It's VS, DL, VS, VS.
The three VS ones have one PNR, the DL one a separate PNR. All four flights are shown on each though.
Does seem to affect eligibility too: I can make a First Class upgrade request for that one DL flight (as per grab below):
Thanks for input here all!
If it is DL marketed upgrades work as normal. Only VS (partner) marketed flight numbers change things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.