Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Low Altitude Flying - Congestion - 9E5057 JUL 19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2023, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec

I had an interesting flight from LGA to RDU the other day. The pilot mentioned a cruising altitude of 8,000. I thought surely once we get outside of the NYC area he would be able to get cleared higher.

Upon speaking to him on my way off the plane he says, “ya we actually got down to 6,000”. Again I’m thinking surely this was just for a short time.

Pulling up the flight on flight aware I was surprised. We briefly got to 8,000 only to spend the rest of cruise at 6,000. Very odd flight.

Anyway, glad we made it on time. Anyone else seeing this kind of thing? It’s been a busy summer.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/EDV5057/history/20230719/1910Z/KLGA/KRDU
Old Jul 22, 2023, 5:17 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Capping and tunneling are ways of increasing the volume of traffic out of a region or into a region when there are severe airspace constraints. The northeast and traffic headed through north Florida have had a fair number of flights use these programs in the past few weeks.

Here’s a description. https://www.fly.faa.gov/Operations/CapTunnel/zmp_ct.htm
Old Jul 22, 2023, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looking at that route, flights other days last week also had various low altitude, or mixes of altitudes... so apparently not unusual for that route considering all the storms lately.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
90 minutes under 10,000 feet - did the flight attendants ever get up to do service?
Old Jul 22, 2023, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
~2008, CO Express: just after my flight from DAY blocked in, CLE ramp ops shut down for the better part of an hour and a half for thunderstorms, about the time the door closed on the connection to IAD, the captain came on the PA to apologize that we were facing a pushback delay of an hour or more due to weather along the route

a few minutes later he announced that he had talked to ATC; we now had a VFR departure with an interim clearance to 8000 feet, a final cruise altitude of 14000 feet, and a wheels-up time in 10 minutes
Old Jul 22, 2023, 9:06 pm

A commercial airliner flying 450 miles VFR is definitely uncommon. But clearly, they got the job done.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 9:10 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Friend used to fly that - staying below 10k kept them on ground control handing off tower to tower when ATC wouldn’t give them a slot at altitude. I may not be explaining it correctly, but I remember it was a way they could get the route to fly (even at much higher fuel burn) than having to cancel because they couldn’t get a slot at altitude.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
that sounds about right; as I said, he got a VFR departure clearance to an initial altitude of 8000

from my long-ago days at Boeing Flight Test (and even longer-ago FAA ground school), I know that any flight plan at or above 18000 *has to be* IFR, but I believe pilots *can* file IFR for lower altitudes; that said, though, I have no idea of any specific language that pertains to transitioning from a VFR departure to IFR enroute
Old Jul 23, 2023, 3:24 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by jrl767
that sounds about right; as I said, he got a VFR departure clearance to an initial altitude of 8000

from my long-ago days at Boeing Flight Test (and even longer-ago FAA ground school), I know that any flight plan at or above 18000 *has to be* IFR, but I believe pilots *can* file IFR for lower altitudes; that said, though, I have no idea of any specific language that pertains to transitioning from a VFR departure to IFR enroute

correct - you must be on an IFR clearance once you reach FL180. You can depart VFR, then pick up your IFR clearance once airborne. Pretty rare at the airlines but it is permissible if the specific Ops Specs (rules for that airline) allow it.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
90 minutes under 10,000 feet - did the flight attendants ever get up to do service?
Yes, there was a normal service in economy. Hot & cold soft drinks, alcohol for sale and a choice of packaged little snacks. However, the inflight Wi-Fi didn’t work. I’m not sure if that had to do with the altitude though.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Im assuming there was no weather enroute? Would be difficult to get around/over everything substantial at that altitude.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Was the flight much longer than normal? Restricted to 250kts below 10k.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
I've literally had a dream like this for the past 25 years.. I probably would have needed a sedative or tranquillizer.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dan6681
Yes, there was a normal service in economy. Hot & cold soft drinks, alcohol for sale and a choice of packaged little snacks. However, the inflight Wi-Fi didn’t work. I’m not sure if that had to do with the altitude though.
​​​​​​Wi-Fi is automatic and turns on/off at 10,000.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I thought turbine aircraft have to fly IFR. Might very well be wrong and never finished my IFR ticket when I owned a little plane about 20 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.