Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Gate Chaos

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2023, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
LAX Gate Chaos

Typing this out while sitting on an inbound WS flight with 5+ DL aircraft behind us waiting for gates at LAX.

I live here so I know the legendary incompetence of the LAWA, but I would like to know if this is a common occurrence with later evening arrivals into T3 or did something unique happen tonight that is causing this mess?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 12:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Looks like you made it to a gate with a 47 minute inbound taxi time.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/WJA1512
Old Jul 17, 2023, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Looks like you made it to a gate with a 47 minute inbound taxi time.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/WJA1512
It seemed longer, they could have taxied to Riverside to drop me home. When we got inside the terminal was pretty chaotic, so it seems this was happening throughout the evening
Old Jul 17, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
A better question...why did you leave YYC almost 90+ minutes late when the aircraft had arrived on time?
veron689908 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobertS975
A better question...why did you leave YYC almost 90+ minutes late when the aircraft had arrived on time?
I was on 1102 from YYZ, we left late because the inbound was delayed. I don’t know about the YYC flight but what about all the Delta flights waiting for gates at LAX?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I was on 1102 from YYZ, we left late because the inbound was delayed. I don’t know about the YYC flight but what about all the Delta flights waiting for gates at LAX?
That one shows only an 11 minute landing to gate time.

WS1102 (WJA1102) WestJet Flight Tracking and History 16-Jul-2023 (CYYZ-KLAX) - FlightAware
jhartvu likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:58 am
Original Poster

The data is incorrect. We were one hour from touch down to pulling up to the gate.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The data is incorrect. We were one hour from touch down to pulling up to the gate.
So was that better than having flown UA instead?

David
audidudi and DiverDave like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriot TE, Delta DM, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I know ribbing the OP is fun and all but they are asking a fair question, even if nobody has the answer to it.

I would also like to know if anyone does have serious thoughts, considering I am taking the YYC-LAX flight this Thursday evening and connecting to Detroit on the 11:30 red eye. Is there something I should be aware of at LAX and plan accordingly for? Gate issues, tower issues, etc?
No worries if nobody know but the question is fair to ask.
obscure2k and happydad100 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The answer is simple enough... enough flights from the Eastern part of the nation were way out of their usual time slots to cause a ramp cramp and a gate strain. There were groundstops at BOS, JFK, EWR, PHL... but what Matters most is that the OP's assigned gate was occupied by an aircraft due to whatever circumstances. And there's little or no redundancy.

Also, it's not clear how much of a delay there actually was...some of the trackers do not seem to corroborate the claims of more than a minor delay.
DiverDave and ebayj like this.

Last edited by RobertS975; Jul 17, 2023 at 2:19 pm
Old Jul 17, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
This may not be it but I checked out the new terminal yesterday walked around T3 while killing some time and I actually was thinking to myself how are there enough gates for the expansion DL is doing not to mention a couple other carriers (?) who part there. It feels so small and even with 10 gates in T2 or whatever that is called now I can easily see this happening on a regular basis.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 4:10 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
LAX could be replaced with any airport this past weekend.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
This may not be it but I checked out the new terminal yesterday walked around T3 while killing some time and I actually was thinking to myself how are there enough gates for the expansion DL is doing not to mention a couple other carriers (?) who part there. It feels so small and even with 10 gates in T2 or whatever that is called now I can easily see this happening on a regular basis.
Will DL lease or otherwise get access to TBIT gates when the airside walkway connector (which I believe is under construction now) is complete?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Westjet shows it arriving the gate at 23:37 while FA shows 22:25. I suspect the FA time is incorrect because the OP's post at 23:26 saying they are on the plane matches up with what WJ posts.
bocastephen and arf04 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
Westjet shows it arriving the gate at 23:37 while FA shows 22:25. I suspect the FA time is incorrect because the OP's post at 23:26 saying they are on the plane matches up with what WJ posts.
EF shows 23:37 arrival as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.