Wiki Posts
Search

NYC - departure issues today (June 24)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2023, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
NYC - departure issues today (June 24)

Sat on the tarmac for JFK-SEA for 3 hours or so, and the pilot decided to head back to the gate.

Heavy weather related ground delays apparently…although I see bright sun shining everywhere 🤷‍♂️
Old Jun 24, 2023, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metalblaze
Sat on the tarmac for JFK-SEA for 3 hours or so, and the pilot decided to head back to the gate.

Heavy weather related ground delays apparently…although I see bright sun shining everywhere 🤷‍♂️
Weather doesn't necessarily need to be directly overhead to cause issues.

Old Jun 24, 2023, 7:17 pm

If you sat for 3 hours or so you are due significant compensation. I suspect however they probably initiated a return to a gate at the 2:15 point.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jeff767
If you sat for 3 hours or so you are due significant compensation. I suspect however they probably initiated a return to a gate at the 2:15 point.
I doubt any comp will be offered…this was weather related delays. Also, primarily impacting westbound flight ex-JFK.
Warriorconcept and ohhleary like this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: Some more than others
While there are significant fines to airlines violating the 3 hour tarmac rule, no compensation is given to passengers. All of the fine is remitted to the government.
ohhleary and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
You make the situation sound like EC261 compensation but there’s nothing as consumer-friendly in the USA. I don’t think even the proposed compensation law is equivalent.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:18 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
There were scattered T-storms throughout the Northeast yesterday (and today).

I myself sat on a JFK-LAX flight (once) that couldn't take off because there was severe weather just west of the Hudson, stretching from Buffalo down to Atlanta. Eventually we ended up flying north over Montreal, Detroit, Minneapolis and then towards LA...

Even under EU261 there'd be 0$...

Last edited by cvision; Jun 25, 2023 at 8:19 am
Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Weather in NYC area has been unsettled for several days. Forecasts of rain/storm for a few days, but very little actual rainfall in NYC. Cells of storms all over the area though. Reminds me of summer in the South. Expect more delays this week
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Folks need to be mindful that thunderstorms that are many miles away, even a hundred miles away, can have a severe ATC impact, especially in the Northeast corridor. There is almost no route flexibility into the NYC area airports. If a designated route is blocked by a boomer, there's no route deviations as any offset will overlap the designated routes being used by LGA or EWR.
Flyer0889, ohhleary and Hepsaint like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Folks need to be mindful that thunderstorms that are many miles away, even a hundred miles away, can have a severe ATC impact, especially in the Northeast corridor. There is almost no route flexibility into the NYC area airports. If a designated route is blocked by a boomer, there's no route deviations as any offset will overlap the designated routes being used by LGA or EWR.
This! I'm trying to explain this to someone in the comments of an article about NYC-area flight delays today and they cannot seem to understand that it doesn't have to be raining directly over an airport for the weather to impact traffic flying in and out of that airport.

Never read the comments. Except here, of course.
hhdl and atojbk like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SCChris
While there are significant fines to airlines violating the 3 hour tarmac rule, no compensation is given to passengers. All of the fine is remitted to the government.
That's right! Airlines are violating for 3 hour tarmac rules and fined from DOT. Don't break the rules! Follow the rules! Don't get into trouble!
Old Jun 27, 2023, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

NYC/DC/BOS area airports continue to experience weather related delays...my SEA-JFK just got delayed by ~2 hours. At least, this time we are not sitting at the tarmac!

Old Jun 27, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Wildfire smoke may be back Thursday/Friday, adding to the issues
Old Jun 27, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
It's going to be a long summer.

United's Kirby blaming the FAA for a lot of it. Says 150,000 customers were impacted over the weekend due to FAA staffing in NYC.

dtwtransport likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
It's going to be a long summer.

Jason Rabinowitz on Twitter: "They’re running out of places to stash airplanes at LGA https://t.co/VBbJ8ox8Q0" / Twitter

United's Kirby blaming the FAA for a lot of it. Says 150,000 customers were impacted over the weekend due to FAA staffing in NYC.

(1) David Shepardson on Twitter: ".@united CEO Scott Kirby to employees: “The @FAANews frankly failed us this weekend” https://t.co/aICDeED2oJ https://t.co/VeZo77kFkd" / Twitter
Weather in/near the congested NYC airspace has always cause ATC programs, but I've never seen anything like the durations of the ground delay programs the past few days. Not uncommon to see ~5 hour delays programs! I can't help but believe that Kirby is right and that FAA staffing is compounding the weather problem. How can you even run an airport/airline with 5 hours delay programs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.