Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta flight to New York was canceled shortly before takeoff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2023, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium

Appears the captain had a few two many departing EDI. Under U.K.’s Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 each passenger would be entitled to $666 from Delta. Figure with the cost of hotel and meals Delta was out close to a $1,000 per passenger if they had to stay overnight if unable to be rerouted via AMS/CDG. I don’t believe DL123 EDI-BOS operated on 6/16/23.

https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/delta-flight-york-canceled-shortly-193209882.html

https://viewfromthewing.com/delta-flight-cancelled-when-the-captain-was-arrested-for-intoxication-passengers-entitled-to-666-each/
Old Jun 17, 2023, 9:33 pm

Wow. How drunk must have the pilot have seemed to have been busted by his/her own crew?
Old Jun 17, 2023, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanderingtheearth
Wow. How drunk must have the pilot have seemed to have been busted by his/her own crew?
I believe it was a UK random drug and alcohol test at the airport—not the crew, but the the crew had to be on the same transportation from the hotel to airport as this was a 763.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 5:02 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by wanderingtheearth
The UK limit for pilots is particularly stringent, and is half of the US limit. For the UK, it’s 20mg per 100ml (or 0.02% blood alcohol level) whereas it’s 40mg per 100ml in the US.
gretchendz, Singleflyer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 5:12 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Could easily be one too many from the night before.

Unfortunately, alcohol abuse is common across professions and certain ones (pilots, doctors) are penalized for seeking help. Best wishes for this pilot… hopefully he gets whatever help he needs.
wrp96, benfro6, Kerrirdh and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
sadly.. his career .. might be done... all for a drink or tow
Old Jun 18, 2023, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fotographer
I'd say it depends. Having a lower BAC he might get away with keeping job. (if complied with being under US limit/8hr rule) Also theres medical conditions that can cause false BAC. Of course that can mean loss of medical.
fotographer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 3:27 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by fotographer
Pilot will immediately lose his Airman's Medical Certificate and be required to go through an intense program of testing, rehab, psychiatric evaluation and monitoring for several years. It is possible for reinstatement within a year but his Class I Medical certificate will be temporary until he gets the green light from the FAA. Also, look at the https://himsprogram.com
fotographer, wrp96 and steved5480 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 4:12 pm

Is EC261 still applicable if the UK is no longer in the EC?
Old Jun 18, 2023, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by spinmeister
Is EC261 still applicable if the UK is no longer in the EC?
The UK copied EC law onto UK books. It is commonly referred to as UK261 nowadays.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
It seems like the local authorities in Scotland aggressively enforce the BAC limit for pilots, as they have arrested a few pilots at EDI and GLA for this.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Follow up to Monday’s hearing in Scotland:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23...-drink-flying/
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'd say it depends. Having a lower BAC he might get away with keeping job. (if complied with being under US limit/8hr rule) Also theres medical conditions that can cause false BAC. Of course that can mean loss of medical.
At my former airline it was 12hrs. Not clear if that was company policy or FAR. Regardless, you can’t still be over the legal limit when you show up to work, doesn’t matter when you quit hitting the sauce.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: ba silver
The laws need to be a lot stronger. No crewmember should have any alcohol in their system while operating a flight. This seems to be a mostly North American problem. I've never heard of a pilot flying for one of the Gulf carriers getting arrested for this.

If I was DL managment I would compensate the passengers quite generously and the claim the money back from the pilot IF THE PILOT IS CONVICTED AND AFTER ALL APPEALS. Pilots make quite a lot of money and have homes, cars and huge bank accounts that can be seized, not to mention money in their pension funds.

Passengers should also be allowed to sue the pilot in cases like this for any consequential losses such as missed events or a day off work.

I may seem a little harsh, but its these very rare cases who cast a negative light and are a disgrace to the other 99.999999% of those who work in the airline industry.
hikouki likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HDQDD
At my former airline it was 12hrs. Not clear if that was company policy or FAR. Regardless, you can’t still be over the legal limit when you show up to work, doesn’t matter when you quit hitting the sauce.
I agree. I'm just pointing out if the pilot complied with US rules they likely won't face action against their license. Scotland can take action against him, just question if US can also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.