Wiki Posts
Search

How do they fill D1?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2023, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, DL, AS
How do they fill D1?

A mystery that is bugging me that I wonder if someone could help shed light just to satisfy my curiosity.

When I checked into my International flight D1 was half-full. When I boarded it was totally full. These can't all be last-minute GUC people can it? And they couldn't possibly be all last-minute fully paid passengers either....Is there another secret to getting upgraded to D1 at the last moment?
Old Jun 7, 2023, 12:47 pm

Those last minute people can be GUC users or non-rev standby.
kthomas, hi55us and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by virtualawrence
A mystery that is bugging me that I wonder if someone could help shed light just to satisfy my curiosity.

When I checked into my International flight D1 was half-full. When I boarded it was totally full. These can't all be last-minute GUC people can it? And they couldn't possibly be all last-minute fully paid passengers either....Is there another secret to getting upgraded to D1 at the last moment?
Non-revs. They're entitled to best available seat.
DiverDave, kthomas and DrMilano like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by virtualawrence

Could be any of a combination of factors:
-Last minute bookings
-GUC use
-Buy-up offers at check-in that passengers opt to take advantage of
-IROPS from other flights that result in passengers in D1 on other flights being re-accommodated in D1 on your flight
-Non-revs flying standby who are entitled to D1 if space is available when the GA clears standbys
audidudi likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Judging based on the seatmap is a terrible idea. While most on FT pick seats early and monitor, many don’t (especially summertime with cruises/tour groups who just add airfare to their travel package).

The most likely reason is people who didn’t assign their seats before check-in getting their seats at check-in.

Most of the other reasons listed would show up on the upgrade list (but lack of pre selection would not)
Old Jun 7, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
If Y is oversold, they will upgrade passengers to D1. This is called an operational upgrade, or an "op-up." I think they try to upgrade based on status, but since it's a GA decision, your results may vary.
lindros2 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
The most likely reason is people who didn’t assign their seats before check-in getting their seats at check-in.
Unless you buy Basic Economy, you've got a seat assigned to you whether you picked it or not. So there's no way somebody bought a D1 seat and doesn't already have one assigned to them.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by DLHubber
Unless you buy Basic Economy, you've got a seat assigned to you whether you picked it or not. So there's no way somebody bought a D1 seat and doesn't already have one assigned to them.
Not everyone buys from Delta directly.

Not picking a seat up front is absolutely normal.
NYC Flyer, Spiff, moondog and 11 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Judging based on the seatmap is a terrible idea. While most on FT pick seats early and monitor, many don’t (especially summertime with cruises/tour groups who just add airfare to their travel package).

Most of the other reasons listed would show up on the upgrade list (but lack of pre selection would not)
except non-revs who are not on upgrade list but on standby list
dcadwell likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Regarding main cabin overselling, hopefully the GAs process those requesting GUC and mileage upgrade requests before handing out operational upgrades.

And as pointed out, non-revs are not "upgraded" because they never had a confirmed coach seat in the first place. They are cleared directly from the standby list into a premium seat.
audidudi likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I was on a TATL flight this spring that was 90% non-revs. Big perk of working for the airlines.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I was on a TATL flight this spring that was 90% non-revs. Big perk of working for the airlines.
better to upgrade employees than diamonds etc.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by shoodawg
DL is counting on Diamonds to pay for D1. Upgrading them for free on DL's most expensive flights (unless Y is sold out) wouldn't be a good idea for DL's bottom line.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worth noting that employees have access to load information so if they see a flight that has a lot of availability in business class they may flock to it knowing a strong likelihood they’ll get to fly in Business. Many people do this, even at the relatively last minute.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by shoodawg
Employees/nonrevs can only travel for free when seats are available. I have heard many stories of employees getting to Europe with no way to get back home as all the flights are full especially in the summer. And sometimes they can wait around at an airport all day for an open seat. And other times they have to buy a ticket home if all of the upcoming flights are full. The uncertainty is very stressful.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jun 7, 2023 at 5:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.