Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do you squeeze the most out of Skymiles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you squeeze the most out of Skymiles?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2023, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firstboss
All the bonus programs are designed to be profitable for the company.

If one finds inefficiencies in the terms and conditions and optimizes the value he/she gets it will work.

However, disclosing any loopholes in a forum will quickly lead to their disappearance: the owner of the loyalty program will tweak the pricing or finds a business case to amend terms and conditions
A more accurate statement would be loyalty programs are meant to be designed to be profitable for the company.

Generally they are successful in making them work for their advantage but sometimes they aren’t.

As for benefits disappearing because they are discussed online that doesn’t necessarily happen.

We have been very successful IHG point whores for at least six years now. I will admit it was better for us in the early days but we still really good at milking the system well.

And we are late to the party-people have been talking about point sales and such for at least a decade.

Buying IHG points - good idea or not?

And their had been at least one thread on this website about it for over three years.

Buying IHG Rewards Club Points Promotions and Discussions

People give business too much credit for understanding things. Most businesses fail and within businesses that last they make bad decisions a significant portion of the time.

Last edited by bladerunner6; May 30, 2023 at 8:48 am
Old May 29, 2023, 8:56 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
My husband and I use them mainly to pay for upgrades. We both have the Delta Amex platinum.
Old May 29, 2023, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Refrain from using DL miles for DL flights. That is almost always the worst value. Book SkyTeam flights from gateways like AMS, NRT and ICN to destination (use other FFP points to get to there). Some destinations have good values, both for short haul flights and long haul. Any flights originating in or going to the US or Canada will overcharge you at least a few fold over.

Foe DL flights VS miles used to be the best value. Now it’s less so after the latest rounds of VS devaluations.
ebayj and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
My husband and I use them mainly to pay for upgrades. We both have the Delta Amex platinum.
I can see that strategy. Thanks, we will
keep that in mind.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 9:05 am

I use mine on US Domestic coach flights for family and friends. You get occasional cheap redemptions, and since it's not me, coach is not a problem!!
Old May 30, 2023, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Refrain from using DL miles for DL flights. That is almost always the worst value. Book SkyTeam flights from gateways like AMS, NRT and ICN to destination (use other FFP points to get to there). Some destinations have good values, both for short haul flights and long haul. Any flights originating in or going to the US or Canada will overcharge you at least a few fold over.

Foe DL flights VS miles used to be the best value. Now it’s less so after the latest rounds of VS devaluations.
Interesting information. But I should have probably mentioned we will overwhelmingly be flying domestically in the US.

Any tips for that?

Thanks.
Old May 30, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bladerunner6
Interesting information. But I should have probably mentioned we will overwhelmingly be flying domestically in the US.

Any tips for that?
In that case, redemption value will be slightly more than 1 cent pretty consistently, without real "sweet spots". As others have said, there may be a 'sale' that gives better values occasionally for specific routes/dates. Other than that, best use of SkyMiles is for trips that you are not sure you can make, or where you are not sure of the dates, since SM reservations you can cancel and redeposit at no fee. So let's say in six months you want to go to XXX, but are not sure will you make the trip. You could book a cash fare, then if you have to cancel pay the change fee and have to use up the ticket value within a year, or wait until time comes closer and you know you'll go and then likely pay considerably more then in cash fare. Or you can book the flight to XXX with your SM and if you are going - great!, you likely got a significantly better than 1 cpm value compared to the cash price when your trip was confirmed (while around 1 cpm when it was booked), and if you are not going, just click on cancel and get your miles and $ back.

For domestic flights, in short, IMO best use of SM is when you need flexibility to change/cancel.
Old May 30, 2023, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
In that case, redemption value will be slightly more than 1 cent pretty consistently, without real "sweet spots". As others have said, there may be a 'sale' that gives better values occasionally for specific routes/dates. Other than that, best use of SkyMiles is for trips that you are not sure you can make, or where you are not sure of the dates, since SM reservations you can cancel and redeposit at no fee. So let's say in six months you want to go to XXX, but are not sure will you make the trip. You could book a cash fare, then if you have to cancel pay the change fee and have to use up the ticket value within a year, or wait until time comes closer and you know you'll go and then likely pay considerably more then in cash fare. Or you can book the flight to XXX with your SM and if you are going - great!, you likely got a significantly better than 1 cpm value compared to the cash price when your trip was confirmed (while around 1 cpm when it was booked), and if you are not going, just click on cancel and get your miles and $ back.

For domestic flights, in short, IMO best use of SM is when you need flexibility to change/cancel.
And if you book far enough out you know there will very likely be a schedule change of at least one minute which online allows you to then switch into any flight within 2 days before/after for free.
RealHJ likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 3:05 pm

I save them for the SkyMiles award fare sales that come around every so often.

Booked RT in Y from LAX-HND for only 39k SkyMiles (after 15% discount from holding the Delta Gold Amex). I got 2.4 per point based on the cash fare.
ostatekitty likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Such good "deals" 🙄

Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by AntimonyER
Be very flexible with departure and arrival airports when booking (driving a couple hours extra could cut your price by 60-70%), and stick to domestic only. Since almost all awards are tied to cash price now, use google flights to search for cheap delta (skyteam) fares to/from your desired regions of travel, and those should correspond to the cheapest miles cost flights as well.

I managed to book East coast - Hawaii flights for 36k per ticket RT this year, pretty happy with that redemption (especially since I then applied RUCs and was able to confirm Delta One both directions).
This is not always the case. Back in April, I booked an award flight JFK-LHR roundtrip on PEAK Summer travel dates for 80K miles. Cash price was $1,400-1600. to me 80k miles was a great bargain. Yes I had to pay ~$200 in taxes/fees but still better than $1600 cash all in.
Old May 30, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Such good "deals" 🙄

HAHAHA. I clicked on that link. I guess it is tied to my home airport NYC, but the only "deal" that Delta offered was EWR-SLC in First Class...uhh. i'm good thx.
Old May 30, 2023, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
And if you book far enough out you know there will very likely be a schedule change of at least one minute which online allows you to then switch into any flight within 2 days before/after for free.
I thought the change had to be multiple hours? We had three separate flight changes and we had to get a supervisor to rebook us.
Old May 31, 2023, 1:27 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'd say that you should shoot for something like 1.4 cents/point if you can. Domestically, landing in the ballpark of 1.3-1.4 cents/point is reasonably reliable with a CC discount (15%) on miles. As a note, about 1.5 cents/point is what you get if redeeming for drinks in the SkyClub (which I do with some regularity).
williwaw likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: Delta PM
I remember Delta used to have flash sales on points. We got a summer trip to Munich on 35k a few years ago. I don't recall seeing any of those emails in ages though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.