Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Not appearing on upgrade list for second connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2023, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot TE, Delta DM, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond

I have a flight I take weekly from YYC - MSP - DTW, all Delta metal, standard fares etc. I am currently Silver Medallion.

I have noticed before that sometimes when I check into my first flight that I don’t see myself on the upgrade for my second flight until I pass that flights check in time (which I assume is normal).

However, I kept checking yesterday and this morning (second flight is in about 7 hours or so) and I still don’t appear on the upgrade list at all from MSP - DTW. Granted with my status I don’t expect to be upgraded because that list is about 30 people long, but I like to see where I am just as a mental data point.

Has anyone run into this issue? As I keep climbing into statuses (Gold on Sunday!) I want to know if this is just a glitch or something I need to understand further to look into.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 4:44 am

Programs: DL DM
I have noticed this myself as a Platinum before. Most of the time the issue fixes itself within an hour or so of checking in, and I appear on all lists as I should, however there have been times I was totally absent from the list. I believe it to be just an IT glitch. I’ve never had it happen on a flight where I actually expected to get an upgrade, so haven’t worried about it too much because it’s a pretty rare issue for me. Maybe 1 out of every 7 or 8 trips. I have read reports where you can call in and sometimes an agent can fix it by unchecking you in, then rechecking you in.

At the silver or gold level I wouldn’t stress too much unless there’s a ton of F seats left with very few on the UG list. As you approach platinum and higher it could be worth a call.
Dracarys likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by pt360
I have a flight I take weekly from YYC - MSP - DTW, all Delta metal, standard fares etc. I am currently Silver Medallion.

I have noticed before that sometimes when I check into my first flight that I don’t see myself on the upgrade for my second flight until I pass that flights check in time (which I assume is normal).

However, I kept checking yesterday and this morning (second flight is in about 7 hours or so) and I still don’t appear on the upgrade list at all from MSP - DTW. Granted with my status I don’t expect to be upgraded because that list is about 30 people long, but I like to see where I am just as a mental data point.

Has anyone run into this issue? As I keep climbing into statuses (Gold on Sunday!) I want to know if this is just a glitch or something I need to understand further to look into.
It is a known Delta bug. If your name doesn't eventually appear, you will need to call Delta and have them un-do your check-in. Once they un-do your check-in, you'll need to toggle the "Request Upgrade" checkbox/button, and then you can try checking in again. Sometimes it works on the first try, but you might have to repeat this entire process multiple times to get it to work. Stay on the phone line with the agent until you actually see your name on the list.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 8:23 am

Programs: DL - Silver, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Glob
I had this happen this past week albeit as a Silver. When I arrived at the gate in ATL I inquired with the GA who was quite possibly the most unfriendly GA I have encountered. She said to me "It is probably because there is no chance." While she was technically correct for F I had a pretty solid chance for C+. I left and made my way to the SC where the agent was amazingly helpful (not sure why i went to the gate to begin with). She fixed the issue and a few minutes later i cleared to C+. Not that this is relevant, but i left the SC when boarding commenced, when i arrived at the gate (2 down from the SC) they were already on MAIN2.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by JLM_USAIR
When I arrived at the gate in ATL I inquired with the GA who was quite possibly the most unfriendly GA I have encountered.
Well, you were in Atlanta.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: DL - Silver, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by DLHubber
Well, you were in Atlanta.
Touche!
Old Apr 29, 2023, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by JW6130
It is a known Delta bug. If your name doesn't eventually appear, you will need to call Delta and have them un-do your check-in. Once they un-do your check-in, you'll need to toggle the "Request Upgrade" checkbox/button, and then you can try checking in again. Sometimes it works on the first try, but you might have to repeat this entire process multiple times to get it to work. Stay on the phone line with the agent until you actually see your name on the list.
​​​​​This has happened to me a couple times recently, but both times simply repeating the check-in worked.
JW6130 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
​​​​​This has happened to me a couple times recently, but both times simply repeating the check-in worked.
I've found that toggling/accepting the check boxes and repeating the check-in fixes this issue every time. It would be nice if Delta would fix this bug.

There's also the variation where your name immediately appears on the first flight's list, but doesn't appear for the connecting flight right away. Now I wait a while before calling, just in case.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
I had this happen to me on Friday. I never showed up on the PHL-DTW list, but I was number one on the DTW-SAT list. I wasn't really bothered by it, as I wouldn't have gotten an upgrade on the first one anyway, but it did have me wondering how that happened.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Are both legs Main or higher? my friend recently bought a ticket not sure how where first leg was Main second leg was in BE.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 10:28 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by JW6130
I've found that toggling/accepting the check boxes and repeating the check-in fixes this issue every time. It would be nice if Delta would fix this bug.
What I meant was, in my experience the step of toggling the checkboxes is unnecessary. The last few times this has happened to me, I've just immediately checked in again (you can tap/click on the checkmark in the app, or I think the green label on the website that says Checked In) without waiting and after this second check-in, I appeared on the upgrade list as expected.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Are both legs Main or higher? my friend recently bought a ticket not sure how where first leg was Main second leg was in BE.
I thought this was not possible on one PNR.
Old May 3, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL: Diamond, IHG: Diamond Elite/Ambassador, The usual AMEX Plat complimentary status levels
Similar problems as a Diamond on two flights recently.
I never appeared on the upgrade list. When I logged in on a computer (vs the app), there was a message stating that I had to be "activated" by the gate agent.
Everyone I spoke with was confused and I had to spend a good deal of time on the phone getting it resolved.
I'm not sure exactly what they did, but eventually it worked itself out.

As a data point, I was using a RUC on one of the flights. I suspected that may have contributed.
It's definitely annoying though. Both times I would have missed an upgrade!
Old May 8, 2023, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
I had this happen on a recent flight and the re check-in trick worked after calling in.

I have also had an agent fib me that “Trust me, you are still on the list even if you don’t see it and will clear in the appropriate order” and cost me an upgrade. I know I missed out on the upgrade as all upgrades on the list cleared and I didn’t as PM. Fortunately it was a short leg I didn’t care much about. Lesson learned—if you don’t see yourself on the list, your upgrade chance is zero.
Old May 9, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta PM
Thanks, I will try this, as it happens to me more often than not. Frustrating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.