Wiki Posts
Search

Cash upgrade to Premium Select

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2023, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, United Premier Silver
Cash upgrade to Premium Select

I'm Platinum on Flying Blue (SkyTeam Plus) so I already asked this question in the FB FAQs since I figured FB folks could know from experience - but I want to double check with DL folks as well.

It's still about 10 days from my trip, and DL is offering me a $342/pax upgrade to Premium Select on one leg of a two-leg outbound. It's a personal overnight long-haul with my partner, and it would be nice to sit more comfortably. But, personally, I'm much more persuaded to fork the money if it results in higher earnings toward status: in FB's case, not just miles, but XPs as well (which are what counts toward status). So I'm trying to understand if this cash upgrade would result in re-issuing this portion of the ticket to a different class fare and as such, I presume, higher mileage and XPs.

The cabin looks pretty undersold right now:

On the FB forum I was advised that it's unlikely that this upgrade would cause reticketing, because it applies to just one leg of two-leg outbound, let alone the full round-trip. What do SkyMiles folks report in terms of earnings when purchasing these types of upgrades?
Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
My experience with these types of upgrades is that the ticket is not reissued, just simply revalidated. I’ve always gotten some sort of bonus miles/MQMs/MQDs when purchasing these seat upgrade offers, but haven’t looked at them too closely. I would say that’s a good price IMO.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
My experience with these types of upgrades is that the ticket is not reissued, just simply revalidated. I’ve always gotten some sort of bonus miles/MQMs/MQDs when purchasing these seat upgrade offers, but haven’t looked at them too closely. I would say that’s a good price IMO.
Yep, price is pretty good considering it's a 9-hour overnight flight. But not knowing what'll happen on the earnings end makes me more hesitant to jump the gun. It doesn't help that I'm crediting the itinerary to a different program within SkyTeam so there's nothing published or documented about it, outside of what I can learn from people's direct experience.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While there is no reissue of ticket (this is how they allow you to upgrade individual segments and is also why these FCM offers are non-transferable and non-refundable), they do update booked class on flight. As long as you are not on an award booking, you should get higher earnings on flight.
hhdl and itaexpat like this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you were earning DL skymiles, then definitely would get the earn/bonus based on the Premium Select. How they've done with is provide credit based on the original booked class, with a 'seat upgrade bonus' of sorts that also credits you for the additional amount paid and elite status medallion qualifying miles bonus..

I'm not sure how this gets translated to the flying blue system however. I would think they should recognize this, but can't say for sure.
itaexpat and PanAmSam like this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
While there is no reissue of ticket (this is how they allow you to upgrade individual segments and is also why these FCM offers are non-transferable and non-refundable), they do update booked class on flight. As long as you are not on an award booking, you should get higher earnings on flight.
Originally Posted by rylan
If you were earning DL skymiles, then definitely would get the earn/bonus based on the Premium Select. How they've done with is provide credit based on the original booked class, with a 'seat upgrade bonus' of sorts that also credits you for the additional amount paid and elite status medallion qualifying miles bonus..

I'm not sure how this gets translated to the flying blue system however. I would think they should recognize this, but can't say for sure.
thanks all! From the FB forum as well it now looks like it’ll get higher earnings, so I think I’ll bite the bullet because the price is indeed pretty good for a nice and comfortable return on the investment.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by itaexpat
thanks all! From the FB forum as well it now looks like it’ll get higher earnings, so I think I’ll bite the bullet because the price is indeed pretty good for a nice and comfortable return on the investment.
Can you report what happens after you fly?
Old Apr 22, 2023, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smartytravel
Sure thing! The booking class on the reservation has now switched to G for this leg, so I’m hopeful the XPs earned will indeed reflect that (and I think I’d have a case to make with flying blue)
Old May 11, 2023, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smartytravel
So I've returned for a few days but still unable to report on earnings because they haven't been credited yet. Which isn't too strange for the inbound, since it's only been 3 days (though it typically takes max 48 hours with Delta travel), but it's been 12 days since the outbound, and it's weird that nothing was credited. I already contacted the Platinum Service Line both on the phone and via email, and received a canned reply of "The miles will be credited to your Flying Blue space as soon as possible." It's the first time that I have to request manual crediting for Delta travel. I hope to see movement soon.

My partner upgraded us to PS on the way back (more expensive at $580/pax), but I'm not sure if I'll see extra XP for that since the purchase was made at check-in.
Old May 11, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Slightly off topic here…yesterday I upgraded from Premium to Upper Class on my VS flight from LHR->SFO at check-in for £499 and my new boarding pass shows Z Class. Will I receive the additional bonuses awarded for UC travel vs if I had stayed in Premium? Flight was booked with VS with my SkyMiles # shown on my BP.
Old May 11, 2023, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I did this on a recent JFK-LHR trip; I got offered an UG to PS at booking for either $299.00 or 29,900 SMs. I did the mileage upgrade. I got the extra MQMs that came with it.
Old May 11, 2023, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
While there is no reissue of ticket (this is how they allow you to upgrade individual segments and is also why these FCM offers are non-transferable and non-refundable)
It does mention in the T&C that you may be able to receive a refund of the upgrade if you change/cancel your flight based on your original fare rules. I wish I knew how to confirm this because you never know if you may need to change your plans even after upgrading your seat.
Old May 12, 2023, 5:26 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
It does mention in the T&C that you may be able to receive a refund of the upgrade if you change/cancel your flight based on your original fare rules.
Call in when making the change and an agent will refund the post purchase upgrade! I’ve done this twice now since the new rules, and both times it has gone back to my Amex.

You can also self service on the WEBSITE (not app) an itinerary where a post purchase upgrade is applied. There is a new banner message saying that upgrades may be refunded to e-credit upon making changes. (Although I haven’t tried this route.)
EZEDoesIt likes this.
Old May 12, 2023, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
It does mention in the T&C that you may be able to receive a refund of the upgrade if you change/cancel your flight based on your original fare rules. I wish I knew how to confirm this because you never know if you may need to change your plans even after upgrading your seat.
The post you replied to was from a few weeks ago before someone noticed the recent change to the T&C's on the Delta website. Yes, as you noted, they now say they are changeable and refundable depending on the fare rules of the original booked ticket. They also still say they are non-transferable, which makes me think they are referring to the original ticket when they are talking about being changeable. I suspect for non-refundable fares, this section directly below will apply:

Last edited by xliioper; May 12, 2023 at 5:59 am
Old May 12, 2023, 6:04 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
The post you replied to was from a few weeks ago before someone noticed the recent change to the T&C's on the Delta website.
Thanks, I had no idea that there has been a recent change to the small print. That probably explains the confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.