Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free wifi - is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2023, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Free wifi - is it just me?

I've only been able to make this work 1 of 8 flights and even then it was in and out. IPhone...wondering if it is some kind of setting issue?

My IT guy also was on a flight recently and could not get it to work either. He explained that it was likely due to no sign in page coming up after connecting (like in hotels). I opened the browser and signed into delta.com and that worked a few times but still could not get my outlook or gmail. Delta app works sometimes.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 11:52 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I've only been able to make this work 1 of 8 flights and even then it was in and out. IPhone...wondering if it is some kind of setting issue?

My IT guy also was on a flight recently and could not get it to work either. He explained that it was likely due to no sign in page coming up after connecting (like in hotels). I opened the browser and signed into delta.com and that worked a few times but still could not get my outlook or gmail. Delta app works sometimes.
I find it useful to keep this site bookmarked: www . neverssl . com NeverSSL - Connecting ...

Essentially if you are using wifi that requires sign-in but the actual sign-in page hasn't come up automatically in your phone/device's regular wifi connection dialog, then visiting that page in a regular browser should redirect to the wifi sign-in page.

If the underlying problem is something else, then this won't work of course...
bosman and kthomas like this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

If the landing page isn’t coming up automatically once you connect type deltawifi.com into your browser. That’s the link to the landing page onboard.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
No problems here.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What equipment were you flying on? I know you mentioned free wifi... and I actually haven't had any issues with the Viasat free service.

I've found that the gogo service has gotten worse and even more unreliable than it was however.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:03 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life

i understand the problem here. I’ve kind of had it, so I try to authenticate on the ground when I still have cellular.

previously I couldn’t use cards in Google Pay to pay for wifi because I had no internet to validate the payment method (Apple Pay works on rolling tokens without the need for internet, but everyone is too cheap to use it)
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Worked fine for me this past Wednesday on a 738 LAX-SEA.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 4:18 pm

I have to use the neverssl trick if I was recently on a GoGo flight (or vice versa) but never had any real trouble with the free wifi.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 5:37 pm

I always forget the name of the neverssl site when I need it. I should really bookmark it somewhere.

Sometimes I find I have to do the dance of connect -> forget network -> reconnect a couple of times to get the prompt to show up.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 7:15 pm

Just flew Delta SFO-> DTW, i was able to get it to connect, but no Internet. As soon as I turned off private WI-FI address it worked perfectly.

Also, anytime you have issues connecting to wifi on an Apple device, just type in captive.apple.com into a browser. Works every time.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Just flew Delta SFO-> DTW, i was able to get it to connect, but no Internet. As soon as I turned off private WI-FI address it worked perfectly.
Yeah that's a common issue with GoGo/Intelsat. Viasat is much more reliably at connecting, loading the portal and staying connected.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Unless wi-fi is down for everyone, invariably it's fixed by bringing up the sign in page manually, on numerous airlines. You'll usually find the page wherever the wi-fi instructions on, either IFE or sometimes printed material. deltawifi.com in this case.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
I haven't been able to have success with my VPN turned on. Turn it off, no issues. So much for privacy?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: MVP Gold, Platinum Medallion, Ambassador Elite
This is a common issue. I just type in deltawifi.com and that’ll take me to the main page. Can see all the media and select internet access.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I have also had troubles getting to a sign in page, Android tablet. I finally managed to get a sign in page by switching to airplane mode? Don't know what that had to do with it.
kthomas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.